DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: LCI Halogen to LCI Xenon Non-AHL Euro Spec

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 PM
ysp
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 LCI

Guys i have spent already 2 weekends trying to fix the issue with the AE and i cant fix it!so so i called to BMW and they dont do that kind of work what that f...!i dont know if you guys have a lot of options there but in belgium dont know not even one that does that kind of job!

Mori3l i put my old halogen HL and it did'nt work my AE neither(i didnt swap cables like they were before got to say,neither coded),i did this just to try,after i reinstalled the xenon back again!
Can you please explain how you did with the HID?mine was intalled directly to the HL(HL had already HID when i bought it) i put yesterday a relay (i'm not electrician) looking in webs i did this :

1-From the to cables that comes to the AE bulb in the *HL + - ,the - i connected to the -from the HID,the + i connected to the + from the HID and to 87 in the relay,i connected the 2 + from both HL left and right to 87 in the relay.

2-From the battery(not from the trunk but the + that's in the front next to the engine) i run a cable to the 30 in the relay.

3-I run another cable - to 86 in the relay.

4-i tap pin 1 AE(i believe is AE) from the connector that plug in the HL and i connected to 85 in the relay.

So 87a in the relay i didnt connected to nothing,what im doing wrong?my AE worked but they stayed on even if the key is out i disconnected the 85 in the relay and they started to flash and turned off now they dont start anymore!

Mori3l also why are this HL called BI-xenon i only have 1 bulb plus the one from the AE but that projector has not more lights so where come the BI-xenon function ? i thought BI-xenon were to high beam?Low beam,high beam shutter and high beam do i'm wrong?cause otherwise i had stayed with my halogen and just added HID

Thanks for your time guys and effort in trying to help me!any idea will be welkome i dont really want to go back to halogen!

*HL = Headlight

Last edited by ysp; 11-27-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

You tried your halogen HL or your Halogen H8 bulbs? Try your original H8 bulbs first (or buy a cheap set). Once you do this we can determine what the problem is.

HID AE Setup is wired in the following way:

12V out from car (Headlights) > Capacitor > Relay > Ballasts > Bulbs

Wire resistors in before the capacitor as well so that you can get rid of errors. Unless u just want to code them out.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 AM
ysp
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 LCI

Ok i finnally connected everything like it should but i get 12v after a few seconds so the relay make noise until he gets the 12v whats the solution for this?the capacitor?

Last edited by ysp; 12-13-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by ysp
Ok i finnally connected everything like it should but i get 12v after a few seconds so the relay make noise until he gets the 12v whats the solution for this?the capacitor?
Yes. Put a capacitor between 12V and relay harness. You can literally wire one of these in:

HID Warning Dashboard Error Code Canceller Decoder Capacitor Resolve Flicking | eBay

They usually come in a set and you only need one...maybe you can find a shop that has one locally? Also, it is beneficial if you have a capacitor that is lower then 9V.

If you don't do this you might blow the relay as I did.

Let me know how this works!

Jason
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW e60

HI I have e60 2006/6 and I try to upgrade my xenon Ahl to lci halogen without lm2
all work expect high beam it work only in pass not on constatant(forward)
and I don`t know did i need to connect 4 pin connector(it have 3 pins in my case one is blank) I try to connect but maybe I get wrong and headlight doesnt go up or down.Did this work on lci halogen and how is correct connection .Anybody can help.I didnt see what errors gives me by now but if some one can help with codding will be good.Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW e60

Can anybody help me.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:50 PM
Probation Members

My Ride: E61 535d lci I run out of country before I run out of fuel 😂

Originally Posted by MORI3L
Hello everyone. Here is the DIY for those who would like to swap out their LCI Halogens for LCI Euro Spec Non-AHL Bi-Xenons on their LCI Car. First off I'd like to thank Chase (Sublime), BlaSTiWi and everyone else for contributing to this project with ideas as well as providing assistance with coding.

What you'll need:

** NOTE: You can use your Halogen LM2 for this **

- LCI Non-AHL Bi-Xenon Headlights (And bulbs and Ballasts)
- Bag of Wire Tap-in Squeeze Connectors (Look here)
- Tools: (Paper Clips/Philips Screwdriver/Torx Screwdriver/Pliers/Wire Cutters)
- Pin for LCM Plug/Harness Its listed on the Diagram as #5 (see Below). The one I got from the stealership came with a wire so I didnt have to crimp anything.

LETS GET STARTED!!!!!

Heres a sexy Pair of Headlights

Step 1: Remove old Halogen Headlights

Headlights are held on by 4 screws... Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of this but there are
several tutorials on the net on how to take these off...also make sure to remove the screws holding the
top of the front bumper to make things easier.

Below is a diagram of what pins we're going to be swapping/combining for the next couple of steps.

Step 2: Add A new ground to your new Headlights

Ok, this one is pretty easy to mess up so make sure that you do it right.
What we're going to do here is INTERNALLY combine pins 2 and 4.
Essentially what we're doing is adding a ground for the lo-beams without
cutting any wires or adding new ones.

First, look at the Diagram above. Follow the wire that's assigned to PIN #2 down to the center
of the headlight. You will need to remove the plastic/rubber gasket that's on the outside of the headlight
in order to see which wire leads of to which pin. Using a flashlight makes things easier.

Pull on the wire to make sure that it is the correct one as there are several
black wires bunched up together. I believe its going to be the second black wire to the front
but make sure to double check. Also, there's a zip tie on these group of wires..you might
want to cut it in order to accomplish the aforementioned.

Then...with a Tap-in Squeeze Connector group the Black wire that's on Pin #2 with the Brown Wire thats on Pin #4.
Make sure to pre-strip these wires if you can as the insulation on that brown wire is really tough and will
not make good contact if not pre-stripped(you can also try to go down a size on the Tap-in Squeeze Connectors).

Step 3: Coding

Add the Xenon Option to your VO then test your headlamps. During my coding session with Chase he also disabled the
bulb checks for the AE (Along with some other cool things that aren't so relevant to this DIY).

Plug in your headlights and test them out. Everything but your high beams should work at this point.
Make sure to check for errors.

If your Lo-Beams do not work then you need to re-check your wiring (I tapped the wrong wire by mistake on one of my
headlights the first time).

Step 4: Swap PIN 5 and PIN 6 on the harness.

Take the connector apart and with a Paperclip pop out the grommet that was on PIN 5 and replace it with the Pin/wire on PIN 6.

Note: *** That rubber is really soft so this might take a couple tries***

You can also use a small paperclip to help unclip the pin so that it comes out. Then, put the rubber grommet into the hole
where PIN 6 was.

Heres a picture of the connector before I swapped the pins...sorry I didnt take one after but its simple..
that white/green wire ends up where that white rubber is and the rubber goes where the wire was.

Step 5: Re-install your new headlights

This ones pretty simple...just do what you did before in reverse

Step 6: Modify the Harness on the LCM to get the High Beam Shutter to work

Remove Kicker panel on drivers side and slide the LCM out...like so....

Note: BMW TIS has a DIY on how to take the LCM out. Its super easy after you've done it once.

NOTE: The LCM is going to have a cover on it when you first take if off. Remove this cover and then re-install it after this step.

Next...Take the connector apart... two pieces should just slide out when you're holding down the release (one release per side).

Pop PIN 12 (Left High Beam) and PIN 50 (Right High Beam) out by pressing the
release in with a paper clip/Flat head and pulling on the wire. You'll need to press
the release twice per wire. Add a pin/wire to # 48 (this is for the magnetic shutter).

Then, combine these three wires like so.......

I'm sure there's a better way to connect these wires but I just used zip ties/electrical tape (Went Ghetto for this one)...
Plug in the LCM and test out your high beams to make sure that the shutter is opening/closing.

If all is well then put everything back together (dont forget to put the cover on to the LCM) and enjoy your new headlights!!!

Some thoughts on this retrofit.... I'm not sure if my AE is running at 35W as it should be...The reason being is that
I was supposed to swap 4 pins on the LCM for the AE but the Pins were already in the "correct" place. My AEs run halogen H8
just fine so perhaps this step wasn't necessary after all. I'm going to get an HID Kit installed on the AE later
this week and I'll report back if there are any issues but so far I haven't run into any problems or errors.

Below are a couple pictures of my new headlights installed!!

Hey I believe I have adaptive Bi Xenon headlights and am trying to swap into my E61 lci with standard halogens will this guide still work? I also have the entire car that the xenon headlights came out of so I can Rob parts as necessary but I'm not that bothered if the adaptive features don't work