DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Car Coding

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

strange issue for me,

I have added the aux in lead, onto a 2005 e60 mask, no nav, etc etc, I coded the mp3 Aktive and the Auxin Aktive, I get the Aux in option on the idrive but no sound, I have managed to get the left channel working by using another pin on the other block 'D' not 'C' on the back of the quadlock...

have i missed something as when aux in is selected and turn the volume up there is a hiss as though its expecting an input from somewhere.

I dont have the Cd Changer just the standard stereo.

thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by itolson
strange issue for me,

I have added the aux in lead, onto a 2005 e60 mask, no nav, etc etc, I coded the mp3 Aktive and the Auxin Aktive, I get the Aux in option on the idrive but no sound, I have managed to get the left channel working by using another pin on the other block 'D' not 'C' on the back of the quadlock...

have i missed something as when aux in is selected and turn the volume up there is a hiss as though its expecting an input from somewhere.

I dont have the Cd Changer just the standard stereo.

thanks in advance for any help.

Don't know how you wired it but check out my post on AUX Install, hope it helps
Croket's AUX DIY
Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by Croket
Croket's AUX DIY
lol just read yoru write up, you can open the boot (trunk) with the battery disconnected, theres a key inside of the key fob.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Members

Croket's AUX DIY
Sorted...

used ncs expert to update the mask control unit and set auxin to aktive, programmed it in expert mode (back up your old config) and viola the aux-in option appears on your idrive , I also set mp3 to aktive but that does not seem to work although reading up on it if a add +kmp3 to the cars FA i.e tell the ecu what control units it has and then try again it may work.

For Those who want a cheaper alternative to the bmw aux in lead at £60.00 then call a company called nemesis on 0870 7775530 and ask for a VW/Seat/BMW/MB Auxilary input harness £14.04 delivered.

it comes with a black and white quadlock 12 pin adaptor so you can either use the cdc input or block C left had side 12 pins on the back of the radio or the right hand side 12 pin block.

As for the pin outs, they are completely wrong in all the documentation i read, but for
I tried just about every combination from their own document, block c 8,9 and ground 2 did not work.

Then I tried various combinations from the internet that also did not work, but by working through it logically I managed to get it to work perfectly in my car (2005 E60 545i) no nav, no cdc, just standard cd.

I used block D right hand side of the 12 pin block in the quad lock.

Pins used where 7 left white, 6 red right, and black ground on 12. (note the ground needs to be connected to get the left and right channels to come through otherwise you dont get any sound at all and you think its not working).

Dont ask me why these work as all of the documentation I found did not identify these but it works.

I now have my parrot mki9200 installed via the aux in using the stereo as the amp so you get the best of all worlds, blue tooth streaming, usb, sd card, ipod, aux in hands free etc etc.

I have also upgraded the speakers to alpine 4" units and placed a sub in the boot, now it sounds way way better then the logic 7 setup that my mate has and it cost me a total of around about £400.00 for everything.

so if you have managed to find this post and have no or little audio coming from your aux in when enabled then try the pins above.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Members

Croket's AUX DIY
Excellent write up, your looks like you have a cdc, I did not so it would not work with the standard pins outs.

plus i think that lots of people seem to think you cannot have your cdc and aux-in looking on the other forums, if you have a cdc and enable the auxin using ncs expert then you can use block D on the quadlock and leave your cdc Block C connection alone and have both...

would be nice to help others out with our findings as I am sure there are lots getting ripped off by stealers they wanted to charge me £300.00... all done for £14.00 and some time and effort.

Its the coding they insist on updating the whole car when you can just update the cappl or mask unit via NCS Expert.

Its a shame the standard stereo is so bad typical bmw £1500.00 logic 7 upgrade...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

itolson: very interesting post. From installing AUX for other people, I have noticed this odd discrepancy regarding the pins. There was one person's car I was not able to get AUX to work correctly, and now thinking back, it probably has to do with the pin problem like you experienced.

Very informative. Sounds like you spent a lot of time testing it with all sort of different combination!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Members

mine is a european car but looking at the build date on the stereo i would say its had a second hand unit as the build date was something like 2003 as the car is a 2005 i doubt its the original unit.

I hope it helps others so that they are not robbed by bmw or the indies as its quite easy to sort out really.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Members

just looking for a line out now for the sub...
Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by itolson
just looking for a line out now for the sub...
If you have the standard stereo option without amplifier it is simple, according to WDS there are only 4 outputs from the main unit, front are going to the subs and midrange and the rear is just in the rear.

I'm in progress to upgrade mine as well, so I was checking it, as a minimum I would use 4 channel amp with another line output (for front and rear speakers) and the line output for another 3 channel amp for subs( 2 under the seats and one in the boot).

Only what I'm not sure about is if it is better to use amp with speakers input or transfer the signal with some kind of HI to LOW signal converter and use "normal" amp.
Also another thing to consider is how to power up the amp, if you use the lighter there is power before the signal, so I'm expecting to hear some noise on the back round before the music.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Members

Trouble is you would have to cut the speaker wires from the headunit or from the parrot in my case as the phone is output over the front two.

I was thinking about a 5 channel amp, as the two front subs are run on the same output as the fronts so power the fronts inc subs on 2 channels and 2 channels on the rears then the sub would have its own output.

I have tried high level input and low level i.e converter and as the amp have there own built in (if you get the right one) there seems to be little difference.

To be honest the system sounds great using the rears as a high level in on a sub in the boot plus I have replaced all 4 speakers in the doors pods and rear shelf with alpine 2 way 4" speakers, one of the lugs had to be removed to get the rears in and the fronts are in solidly but only on two screws, you have to watch the depth in the front pods, I also have two front tweeters using alpines that came with a cross over in the front, I was thinking about doing the back as there is space for them too.

Looking at the quad lock there maybe a line out already for front and rear, I just need to take a look at that at some point as that would be the best setup i can get...

The mki9200 runs on line out so i have bypassed its own amp (which is ok) but not as good as the head unit.

Will be interested in doing the 5 channel amp mod at some point as long as i can get a line out as i thinks the high level in may cause a problem with the head unit at high levels.

let me know how your install goes and maybe we can sort a great audio system setup using different methods...

Quick Reply: Car Coding