DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Brake fluid change DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i, Silver Gray, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather package, Black Leather seats with lumbar support, Poplar wood finish. Mods: M6 19" wheels with 245/35/19 Front Tires 275/30/19 Rear Tires, K&N Filter, H&R Sway bars, Magnaflow Muffler, Sprint Booster, Black front grill, M-tech front bumper, Debadged

I did the Brake Fluid change over the weekend using the manual 'pedal pump' method. Went without a hitch. The DIY instructions to get to the MC are great! Also keep in mind to close the bleeder valve before releasing the pedal everytime you pump, else it will introduce air into the system!

thanks for all the inputs!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='894420' date='May 29 2009, 08:10 PM
Gravity alone is not sufficient to properly bleed the entire system. A second person to pump the brake pedal and you on the bleed valve. Most important thing is not to introduce air in the system. But if it works for you

Agree, is not enough and the pressure bleeder from BAV didn't seem to be enough either; 20 psi barely produced a slow trickle although it did work.

Just a little background, I'm pretty mechanically inclined (aircraft A&P mechanic) and I did this process to the 'T' today and quite frankly it was a pain using the pressure bleeder and next time I'll use my wife as the 'pumper' (okay, bring on the comments ).

I did have a couple issues and they may have been self-induced, so take them for what it's worth: 1) the 1 container (liter I think) of fluid actually wasn't enough to essentially empty the MC, refill, fill the bleeder, then bleed all 4 brakes until the same color of blue fluid was flowing from each brake bleeder valve as the new fluid, maybe I got the 1 bleeder from BAV with the short supply line in the container, I don't know, so I recommend 2 containers although there will be some waste that's easily disposed of; and 2) the bleeder container was never really secured or balanced in the engine compartment and at one point, it actually fell off the 'perch' I had it on.

Other than these two minor issues, the OP was right on and I couldn't have even found the MC if it weren't for the original post, so thank you!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Members

Great thread here.

I have seen elsewhere that many just refill the MC with new fluid, but keep the pressure tank EMPTY (dry) to avoid the cleanup. Obviously they check and refill the MC inbetween the calipers so you dont run out of fluid.

Anyone do it this way? I would HATE to accidently run it empty but a clean pressure tank and tube is nice also.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Black/Black Premium/Sport Package Bluetooth iPod Retrofit Matte Black Grills HID Fogs 5000K BMC Filter RPI GT Exhaust RPI Scoop M-Tech Front

Thanks for this DIY!! Got the BAV Pressure Bleeder and the Super Blue Fluid and did all for corners in about an hour and a half. Ended up using the whole liter of fluid.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA
Great thread here.

I have seen elsewhere that many just refill the MC with new fluid, but keep the pressure tank EMPTY (dry) to avoid the cleanup. Obviously they check and refill the MC inbetween the calipers so you dont run out of fluid.

Anyone do it this way? I would HATE to accidently run it empty but a clean pressure tank and tube is nice also.
Yes, I have used the method you mention with the BavAuto pressure bleeder. I had no problems doing it this way and the cleanup is definitely minimized. As you mention, it is necessary to refill the master cylinder between each caliper so it doesn't run dry. It took me less than 1 liter of Ate SL.6 fluid to do the complete job on my '06 525xi.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Did the same last weekend and no issues with the BA bleeder.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Depends on how good you are in deciding to stop bleeding as you see fresh/clean fluid flows in the clear hose.

Ideally 1 litre can should be enough.
Buy 2 just in case you bleed too much fluid and don't open the seal unless you really need to use it
Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by flipnf3rno
Thanks for this DIY!! Got the BAV Pressure Bleeder and the Super Blue Fluid and did all for corners in about an hour and a half. Ended up using the whole liter of fluid.

how much is the bav pressure bleeder?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Contributors

Think it was on sale $65 with the catch bottle.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Members

I just got done doing it the easy way with speed bleeders. I have both the vacuum bleeder as well as the Motive pressure bleeder and this was the best method with no fuss, less fluid and simplicity.

Speed bleeders have a one way valve build into the bleeder that makes the the process simple.

First extract a good amount of old fluid from the reservoir.

Fill new fluid and tighten the cap so that you don't expose it to moisture in the air.
Then remove the factory bleeder one at a time and replace it with the speed bleeder and as you do you will notice fluid coming which is ok. Make sure that all of the speed bleeders are in their closed position which is when they are screwed on tight.

When you are ready to bleed you will attach a rubber hose and bag to the nipple of the speed bleeder. Then you will open the bleeder by loosening a quarter turn and pump the brake until clear fluid is in the bag.
You should start at the furthermost point being the rear passenger caliper. Each time you bleed a caliper fill the reservoir so that it does not run dry which would be a bad thing.

The speed bleeder part number for my 2007 525i was SB 1010 and I would call Speedbleeder for the right bleeders for your car as they maybe different.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid change DIY