DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

i changed the battery on my 545 with no problem. it's as simple as can be for the 2004 545i. i can't speak for any other model or year.

i had no errors related to the battery change, and have been driving my car for some time without any problem with the battery.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

I think the final answer to having the car reprogrammed is both Yes and No.

The CAS (Car Access System) has to be re-programmed if the new battery capacity is different. So the answer is both YES and NO.

If you change it with the same battery capacity, ie the same battery that was used on the thread, you'll be perfectly fine. I too did this and my car is running great.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mikeg3tsguap' post='798101' date='Feb 20 2009, 09:14 PM
could a mod please sticky this! =]
+1 Can we make this a sticky please.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Members

changed my battery with one from Kragens/o reillys, 89.95...worked like a charm, no problems or issues. just had to reinitialize the active steering, then good to go. couldnt justify paying close to 200 from the dealer, when its pretty much the same thing...
Old 03-23-2009, 03:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 520i

Cheers for the post and pictures 'RatherNeInCabo' very helpful
Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Members

Finally, after a week's worth of phone calls to BMW NA, they informed me that the dealer will replace the battery under the "goodwill" clause. I am happy that this was done, but was dissatisfied overall. 1. the dealer made a big deal out of this "goodwill" thing, although I can not understand why they would put their customer through this for an 07 530i that was decked out ($60k+) over a lousy battery that failed in 2 yrs of ownership. 2. They replaced the battery, but failed to do the Energy Diagnosis at time of battery replacement, even though I showed them the SIB that dealt with the R15 error code they found in the car, telling them that this should be done to properly diagnose the problem.3. It has been a week since the replacement, and now I once again notice the car failing to shut down properly, even though I follow proper procedure absolutely (the car has Comfort Access) -- the cd player wirls away happily even when all else stopped, and sometimes the cd changer cycles the discs. Today, the passenger restraint error code comes up, so I will have to bring it in again, and hope that the service advisor will listen to reason, and check the car properly. Otherwise, I have a feeling I will be back for another round of battery replacement woes, with endless dealer nonsense and grief. Dissapointed in So Cal.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by mag75' post='813794' date='Mar 11 2009, 02:34 PM
I think the final answer to having the car reprogrammed is both Yes and No.

The CAS (Car Access System) has to be re-programmed if the new battery capacity is different. So the answer is both YES and NO.

If you change it with the same battery capacity, ie the same battery that was used on the thread, you'll be perfectly fine. I too did this and my car is running great.
Glad I read the whole thread as I was just going to say this. It depends. I've done both a non-exact spec replacement and exact. WIth the non-exact (lower CCA or other electrical spec) you may find faults show up without this "re-programming" but with an exact replacment no problems even without reprogramming.

The EXIDE OEM battery is one heafty battery for the 6er at 62 pounds. Most aftermarket replacements run in the 40 pound region (this is for the larger of the three OEM sizes available).
Old 03-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Members

Info For anyone in the UK or Europe

My battery was playing up slow starting, my Idrive loosing date and time, especially in cold weather and I finally got a steering failure warning My car is nearing 3 years old -battery isn't a warranty item

Off to my local Costco for a "Bosch silver" battery for the car, its a tricky process getting the +ive cables off plus we have the "safety battery Terminal" read pyrotechnic fuse in a crash.

however fitted fine once id got the frame off.

Every fault cured no problems a month and a few thousand miles later..no reset at the dealer either.

Now time to look at that EGR thermostat as the dealer did the no fault found when its doing 26 MPG !!

MAE60D 2006 525D
Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by RatherBeInCabo' post='762866' date='Jan 8 2009, 02:11 PM
Well I had the experience of my battery dying on me while at the car wash this past weekend. I called the sealer and they wanted $500 plus to exchange the battery. I started looking online for information on how to do this and I found a ton of opinions...from doom and gloom to piece of cake. After reading through many posts on multiple sites and what was described in the manual, I decide I could do it myself. I purchased a Werker 95R from Batteries Plus and was on my way.

Many people warned that the battery needed to be registered with the car or I would lose all Idrive control if I do it myself. I can tell you now that is all BS and you can do it yourself in about 30 minutes or less. I took a little longer because I took pictures at each step along the way.

Here is the link to the pictures: http://gallery.me.com/ratherbeincabo#100032

If anyone has questions, I will be glad to answer them. You can email me at my username here at gmail.com

Marc
Thanks for the link/instructions. I followed them to a "T" and was able to install my new battery at lunch. Took about 30 minutes. I got the Active steering message and turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and then the right. My steering wheel is off to the right somewhat. Does anyone have a remedy for that?

Vic
Old 04-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 316iT 2004 525DAT

Originally Posted by MaE60D' post='826571' date='Mar 25 2009, 09:53 PM
<SNIP>

Now time to look at that EGR thermostat as the dealer did the no fault found when its doing 26 MPG !!

MAE60D 2006 525D
A defect EGR or main thermostat does NOT show up on BMWs diegnostics systems!!!!

So if the mechanics tells you that everything is OK, just ask him/her:
1. What is the operating temp. on the engine??? (They usually don't know...)
2. If he has checked the EGR termo...
3. If he has checked the main terno...

My repair shop + BMW Group Norway could not answer ANY of these questions...
(Yeah, too bad I live in a country with few repair shops and insane prices on cars...)

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement