DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

Marc could you please repost a link to you picture I try to click on it and it state that it cannot find your page.
Thank you

Kenneth

P.S. I have 530I 2006 would Welker battery or Kragen battery be the to main battery to replace the original with

Originally Posted by RatherBeInCabo' post='762866' date='Jan 8 2009, 02:11 PM
Well I had the experience of my battery dying on me while at the car wash this past weekend. I called the sealer and they wanted $500 plus to exchange the battery. I started looking online for information on how to do this and I found a ton of opinions...from doom and gloom to piece of cake. After reading through many posts on multiple sites and what was described in the manual, I decide I could do it myself. I purchased a Werker 95R from Batteries Plus and was on my way.

Many people warned that the battery needed to be registered with the car or I would lose all Idrive control if I do it myself. I can tell you now that is all BS and you can do it yourself in about 30 minutes or less. I took a little longer because I took pictures at each step along the way.

Here is the link to the pictures: http://gallery.me.com/ratherbeincabo#100032

If anyone has questions, I will be glad to answer them. You can email me at my username here at gmail.com

Marc
Old 05-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Members

Thumbs up

Hi,

Thanks for the pics and instructions. I replaced the battery on my '06 530xi w/idrive and 6speed.

Only problem is that I have an "AWD, DSC, ABS, EBV" fault that won't go away.

Anyone know how to reset this?

I've attached a couple pics one from the instrument panel and the other from idrive.

Thanks!

Battery Replacement-instr.jpg

Battery Replacement-idrive.jpg
Old 05-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rjbmw' post='888592' date='May 24 2009, 04:08 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the pics and instructions. I replaced the battery on my '06 530xi w/idrive and 6speed.

Only problem is that I have an "AWD, DSC, ABS, EBV" fault that won't go away.

Anyone know how to reset this?

I've attached a couple pics one from the instrument panel and the other from idrive.

Thanks!

Attachment 80191

Attachment 80192
Hello,
Try turning the wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left with the vehicle running after startup.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RatherBeInCabo' post='762866' date='Jan 8 2009, 03:11 PM
Well I had the experience of my battery dying on me while at the car wash this past weekend. I called the sealer and they wanted $500 plus to exchange the battery. I started looking online for information on how to do this and I found a ton of opinions...from doom and gloom to piece of cake. After reading through many posts on multiple sites and what was described in the manual, I decide I could do it myself. I purchased a Werker 95R from Batteries Plus and was on my way.

Many people warned that the battery needed to be registered with the car or I would lose all Idrive control if I do it myself. I can tell you now that is all BS and you can do it yourself in about 30 minutes or less. I took a little longer because I took pictures at each step along the way.

If anyone has questions, I will be glad to answer them. You can email me at my username here at gmail.com

Marc
Thanks Marc. You saved me a couple hundred bucks. I purchased the Werker 95R from Batteris Plus and had no problems whatsoever. This is a very simple and painless process, and the part about having the dealer register the battery is complete nonsense. I did not even have time to calibrate the Active Steering because I was late for my daughter's concert, so I just drove straight there with the intent of doing it later. After the concert, when I turned on the car the Active Steering warning was gone and it was functioning flawlessly. I set the clock and viola! I'm done. Everything works great.

Matt
Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i — Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | Wheels & Suspension — DCR Nurburgring Satin Finish with Chrome Lip 20x9 front 20x10.5 rear | Toyo Tires 245/30/20 front 285/25/20 rear Performance — In the Works: RPI Exhaust | RPi Ram Air Induction Exterior — Onex 4300K Fog lights | Stage 3 tint all around | M-Tech kit | Sounds - Alpine amps | Memphis Audio Front and Rear | Kicker Subwoofer | Stealth Box |

Originally Posted by RatherBeInCabo' post='762866' date='Jan 8 2009, 12:11 PM

Marc
+1 on changing your battery. i learned the hard way cause i was told too that it had to b registered.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2

Marc,

Same thing happened twice to me in the last week. The battery died on the car when my wife had it and had to jump the car. Seemed good for a week then same thing happened today. Time for a new battery (these things are large at ~65lbs).

I did a couple of searches and found your other link (here) on this topic and was fantastic help. I had it out in under 10 min, called a local Batteries+ and after getting home, back in the car again in under 10. Active steering reset (and the clock) were the only items that popped up and works great!

Saved a TON of $ as a quick and easy DIY thanks to your initial efforts!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

Originally Posted by RatherBeInCabo' post='762866' date='Jan 8 2009, 03:11 PM

Marc
Great topic, i had my battery run out and followed these instructions and worked perfect with no problems
Old 08-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Members

Just replaced the battery on my 04 530i withoout any issues so far.. i replace it with interstate battery, for $148.00 vs the $400.00 the dealer wanted.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i

Is it possible to refill a 2004 e60 battery with distilled water and then charge it in order to bring it back to a full charge? My battery warning indicator flashed after I had some music playing in the car while the engine was off (i know very stupid..) I ended up draining most of the battery. Will a simple re-charge do? Or do I also have to add distilled water to it? I know on the old batteries the caps can be unscrewed and you can refill the elements, but on my battery there are no caps on top under the stickers. So how else do you refill it?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by skEwb' post='992015' date='Aug 28 2009, 08:57 PM
Is it possible to refill a 2004 e60 battery with distilled water and then charge it in order to bring it back to a full charge? My battery warning indicator flashed after I had some music playing in the car while the engine was off (i know very stupid..) I ended up draining most of the battery. Will a simple re-charge do? Or do I also have to add distilled water to it? I know on the old batteries the caps can be unscrewed and you can refill the elements, but on my battery there are no caps on top under the stickers. So how else do you refill it?
1. Charge battery.
2. If it does not hold charge, replace it.
3. Old trick: Remove tops of battery (if possible).
4. Turn battery upside down in a large plastic container.
5. Lead flakes will fall out.
6. Refill with water and charge on trickle charger.
7. If you are lucky, battery will hold charge for 6 months or so with regular use.

8. Much simpler to replace battery.

Most batteries fail after 36 to 48 months.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement