DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='992122' date='Aug 28 2009, 08:55 PM
1. Charge battery.
2. If it does not hold charge, replace it.
3. Old trick: Remove tops of battery (if possible).
4. Turn battery upside down in a large plastic container.
5. Lead flakes will fall out.
6. Refill with water and charge on trickle charger.
7. If you are lucky, battery will hold charge for 6 months or so with regular use.

8. Much simpler to replace battery.

Most batteries fail after 36 to 48 months.
Thank you! Will try this.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Members

Thanks to everybody for a great thread. My battery died over the weekend and after a very short search on here, a trip to batteriesplus and about 20 minutes of work I was back in business.

BatteriesPlus didn't have a Werker 95R. They only had a Rayovac SLI95RH9 for $189. It is an exact duplicate of what was in the car and is labeled as "Made In Germany". I haven't had any problems since the change out on Sunday.

Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by so.cal1' post='813576' date='Mar 11 2009, 11:08 AM
Just got "Increased Battery Discharge" error code a week ago. When it started it was interrmittent. Took it to the dealership and their diagnosis is I either did not turn the car off properly (shut down all the accessories) or have somehow left the fob in the car -- I have comfort access. I informed them that neither is the case (since having owned the car for a long time, I did not just developed a case of brain fart), at which point, the dealership request to keep the car overnight to confirm my claim. The next day, I received a call from the dealership that I have come pick up my car, and eventhough they can not show that it was my fault, their "computer diagnosis" is giving them the error as "operating error" and thus they can not submit a warantee claim. The dealership generously offer to charge my battery, so I can take it to another dealership, or pay $425 to have them replace the battery. I am not even sure the battery is the cuprit, because I told the dealership that even after I properly shut off the car (push and hold start/stop button until all off, AND lock with fob) I can still hear the cd/dvd/cd changer doing things and making noise. I have a call into BMW USA right now, but since the dealership forced me to take the car back I am in a constant state of fear of being stranded somewhere due to dead battery. This sucks, on a fr**kin 2007 530i with comfort access. Anyone with any reccomendations or update to this issue?

If you have to return the car for the same issue for 5 times, isn't there a lemon law to deal with this?
you have low mileage on your car? otherwise your battery should be cover by factory warranty, if you have less than 7500 first year or less than 15000 second year, then BMW dont want to cover, which sucks for high end cars
Old 09-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Contributors

Angry

Originally Posted by kduff70' post='837857' date='Apr 6 2009, 11:02 AM
Hello

Marc could you please repost a link to you picture I try to click on it and it state that it cannot find your page.
Thank you

Kenneth

P.S. I have 530I 2006 would Welker battery or Kragen battery be the to main battery to replace the original with
I'm having a similar problem, but for a 2005 545i (so, not the 4x4 error). Jumped the car and it started OK, so i let it run for a while and disconnected the jumper cables. I noticed the active steering message, so I turned the wheel, shut the car off, etc. But when I tried to start the car again it was dead. So, jumped it again and left the cables connected and was able to reset the active steering. However... BIGGER problem! I am getting the Dynamic Control Malfunction and even worse... THE CAR WON'T go into gear!!! I thought I would drive the car around for a while to charge the battery. I have SMG, but neither reverse nor 1st gears engage?!?! Is it possible that the low voltage from the bad battery could cause that problem. From reading all the threads it sounds like I should try replacing the battery... I just hope it resolves the other issues as well. Anyone had or heard of this kind of issue? Thanks in advance for guidance!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

Hi,

This morning my car died because my wife left the lights on last night.
I jumped the car and car started but now I am seeing all kinds of triangle warning on my idrive. Is there anyway to fix this? thanks in advance

Battery Replacement-pa170062.jpg

Battery Replacement-pa170063.jpg
Old 10-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Members

My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

Now everything back to normal. after driving around for 30mins. Now another concern is that after replacing my front brake, I have reset front brake(before reset I had 10000miles left), but after reset, I am getting -9000 miles and now I am getting brake light on. anyone can help me?

Originally Posted by uukahn' post='1034728' date='Oct 17 2009, 03:32 PM
Hi,

This morning my car died because my wife left the lights on last night.
I jumped the car and car started but now I am seeing all kinds of triangle warning on my idrive. Is there anyway to fix this? thanks in advance

Attachment 92442

Attachment 92443
Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i black/black, OEM 166 Wheels Powder Coated Gunmetal Finish with M6 offsets, H&R Sport Springs, 12" Kicker L7, Fosgate Punch 75

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I bought a replacement battery at Batteries Plus for $190. It is identical to the original. They use to have Werker, they changed the name to Rayovac.
I replaced the battery in about 45 minutes (i was extra careful because I did'nt want to electrocute myself)
The battery was disconnected for about 4 hours (had to run some errands and pick up the new battery).
When I hooked up the new battery, there were no errors in the Idrive. All my presets were still there. All I had to do was set the clock.
Hopefully nothing comes up in the future.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by so.cal1' post='825970' date='Mar 25 2009, 12:27 AM
Finally, after a week's worth of phone calls to BMW NA, they informed me that the dealer will replace the battery under the "goodwill" clause. I am happy that this was done, but was dissatisfied overall. 1. the dealer made a big deal out of this "goodwill" thing, although I can not understand why they would put their customer through this for an 07 530i that was decked out ($60k+) over a lousy battery that failed in 2 yrs of ownership. 2. They replaced the battery, but failed to do the Energy Diagnosis at time of battery replacement, even though I showed them the SIB that dealt with the R15 error code they found in the car, telling them that this should be done to properly diagnose the problem.3. It has been a week since the replacement, and now I once again notice the car failing to shut down properly, even though I follow proper procedure absolutely (the car has Comfort Access) -- the cd player wirls away happily even when all else stopped, and sometimes the cd changer cycles the discs. Today, the passenger restraint error code comes up, so I will have to bring it in again, and hope that the service advisor will listen to reason, and check the car properly. Otherwise, I have a feeling I will be back for another round of battery replacement woes, with endless dealer nonsense and grief. Dissapointed in So Cal.

WOW for months I thought only my car had these particular problems

each of the faults you mentioned are the exact same ones that happens with my car

- passenger restraint
- cd changer changes discs while the car is turned off
- cd player whirls around

so what should i do now?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by socal_doc' post='1047692' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:34 AM
Thanks so much for the tutorial. I bought a replacement battery at Batteries Plus for $190. It is identical to the original. They use to have Werker, they changed the name to Rayovac.
I replaced the battery in about 45 minutes (i was extra careful because I did'nt want to electrocute myself)
The battery was disconnected for about 4 hours (had to run some errands and pick up the new battery).
When I hooked up the new battery, there were no errors in the Idrive. All my presets were still there. All I had to do was set the clock.
Hopefully nothing comes up in the future.
I know about the installation and reprogramming fees at dealership. (I installed my batt myself without the programming. No problems.)

I paid about $149 or so for the batt at the dealership for an 07 530i. Not sure where/why you and your local dealers are getting the $200 price tag for parts.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Grokker
Thanks to everybody for a great thread. My battery died over the weekend and after a very short search on here, a trip to batteriesplus and about 20 minutes of work I was back in business.

BatteriesPlus didn't have a Werker 95R. They only had a Rayovac SLI95RH9 for $189. It is an exact duplicate of what was in the car and is labeled as "Made In Germany". I haven't had any problems since the change out on Sunday.

Thanks again!
This battery is currently going for $195 at Batteries Plus.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement