DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='770848' date='Jan 18 2009, 11:21 AM
Can anyone confirm what has been said on here about the active steering failure being related to a low battery? Has anyone put in the 49DL battery from Autozone rather than the 95R, and if so, have you had any problems with it?

thanks guys.
The battery would have to be very low. The manual states that if you lose battery power, you will need to reset the active steering.

I've ready many posts about successful 49DL installations. I just did not want to put wood shims in the battery compartment to stabilize the battery. The Werker is an exact fit for the original battery.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='770848' date='Jan 18 2009, 02:21 PM
Can anyone confirm what has been said on here about the active steering failure being related to a low battery?

Yep, I can.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Contributors

I put 80 miles on the new battery, today I received 'dynamic suspension' error. I shut the car off and turned it back on. I think I'll redo the connections to ensure they're tight.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evo42' post='772961' date='Jan 20 2009, 07:04 PM
I put 80 miles on the new battery, today I received 'dynamic suspension' error. I shut the car off and turned it back on. I think I'll redo the connections to ensure they're tight.
I've read that can also be caused by large temp. changes on one of the BMW boards (might be this one). I guess temp swings can mess with the sensors for the suspension.

I've had it pop up a few times with mine. Usually each time has been during a drastic temp change. Usually happens around the first corner you take at more then a few miles an hour.

Has that error ever popped up before on your car?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Contributors

No errors previously. The car sits outside during the day (20 degrees), this happened when I left work within the first 3 miles. At night, the garage doesn't get below 50degrees, no errors (so far) in the morning.

I've heard...
loose connections when battery is changed not by dealer.
replacement battery may be over powered than stock (I used the reccommended battery brand and model)
wheel sensors
bent rims
Old 01-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='772992' date='Jan 20 2009, 06:44 PM
I've read that can also be caused by large temp. changes on one of the BMW boards (might be this one). I guess temp swings can mess with the sensors for the suspension.

I've had it pop up a few times with mine. Usually each time has been during a drastic temp change. Usually happens around the first corner you take at more then a few miles an hour.

Has that error ever popped up before on your car?
You should also check your power steering/central hydraulic fluid level in the reservoir for AS and ARS issues. I was getting both warnings until I topped off my CHF-11S level.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Members

I was told exactly the same story about "marrying the new battery to the car computer" by our local BMW mechanic and that this could only be done through the BMW store computer at a cost of $500+. It sounded fishy to me so I've been investigating as my 06 530xi touring will be due soon and my partners 06 530xi is slowly dying. Marc, have you had any Idrive or other problems since the battery replacement? When you changed the battery did you keep the system hot with another battery or did you do a cold replacement? I have a real love/hate relationship with this car and BMW; they have made it almost impossible to do any service myself.

George
Old 01-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Bought a type 49 at Sam's Club for $85 (+ tax) with a 8-year pro-rated warranty (3-years full replacement no questions asked). They installed it for free. It fits perfect (no wood blocks needed) as the battery box is made to accept (anchoring bolt has three positions) this size battery. As expected I got the active steering error. That went away after turning the steering wheel to full left, then full right, back to center and a car restart. Have an appointment at the dealer in the morning to check some things out, will have them register the new battery if that needs done.

BP
Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I asked my dealer about the "programming / decoding" and they confirmed that it shoud be done. They asked 70? from the programming. I'm going to buy the battery elsewhere though and bring it to them if I decided to "the programming" too.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i w/ sport package: bone stock :( 2006 Yamaha R-6exy Raven: Fully Loaded Track weapon 2004 Ducati 749 Testaretta: Fully Loaded two other family cars that I dont care to mention, lol!

okay a couple of days ago the battery died... I tryed trickle charging it over two nights last week... but the battery just died today on my wife... along with the battery dying I was getting faulty codes (e.g. dynamic malfuction, increased emissions, etc..) I just installed a Werker battery, perfect fit excep for the little ventalater hose for the battery fumes. I had to do some McGyver shit and make one, after I connected the battery, I reset all the codes, started it up, reset the steering thingy, shut the car down, started the car up, and there you go. No faulty codes!!! drove around, put gas, came home, stil no faulty codes. My BMW buddy said that Werker batterys are made for German cars!

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement