DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AE Illumination when unlocking the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha they must be linked in series.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

That was painless. I actually grabbed a wire under the steering wheel for the drls. I believe purple and white. I have a radar hardwired to it already so I figured it was a safe bet. I can't believe I didn't do this earlier! It's like getting a new toy! I ran out of time tonight I will be adding the lci bars by this weekend. Anyone know which wire it is to power the lci bars?

Thanks everyone for the help. Great forum
Old 06-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog
that should work perfectly... since the constant 12V only engages when the ignition is on, you could actually run a seperate wire (let's say the cigarette lighter) to the one connected in the footwell with a diode and then the AE's would basically become your DRL's. but you would have to splice a diode between the cigarette lighter and the one connected to the footwell. or if you don't want the illumination on unlocking just run it straight from the cig lighter to the AE's.

glad i could help out!

must by understend inpa NCS TAGFAHRLICHT_ECE
aktiv
Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Guys when doing this remember that if you have the factory AEs then you will be drawing too much current across the diode and the light module. However if you have the LED AEs then its not a problem. The eyebrows and the LED rods on the tails should be no problem at all.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Contributors

The only thing that sux about connecting to the footwell is that when u turn on ur map lights the damn ae's go on haha. I'm gonna try to locate the mirror puddle light wire. It shouldn't be far. I'm assuming right near the steering column somewhere
Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Guys when doing this remember that if you have the factory AEs then you will be drawing too much current across the diode and the light module. However if you have the LED AEs then its not a problem. The eyebrows and the LED rods on the tails should be no problem at all.
Really whats the best way for it to minimize the current going across the diode since you mentioned it's drawing too much power to the AEs.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by joebaggg
The only thing that sux about connecting to the footwell is that when u turn on ur map lights the damn ae's go on haha. I'm gonna try to locate the mirror puddle light wire. It shouldn't be far. I'm assuming right near the steering column somewhere
Not sure why that's necessary a bad thing. When you need the map light on, that probably means it's dark out. So AE on is a good thing?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Not sure why that's necessary a bad thing. When you need the map light on, that probably means it's dark out. So AE on is a good thing?
True. Unless u want to park on the side of the road with ur lights off to stalk someone... Haha guess it doesn't matter. Great mod. I love it. I'm sik of turning my parking lights on and off every time. Now for some v2s!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

I actually think its DOPE when I open my door and my AE's and eyebrows turn on. Then it just slowly fades after closing the doors close
Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
You're not going to draw too much current... it's a 200V diode, which is well in excess of what is taken even with regular AE's it will b fine, which of course i tested

Quick Reply: AE Illumination when unlocking the car