DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AE Illumination when unlocking the car

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Ran the wire through the door and up the A pillar into the dome light. And actually tapped the wire into the bulb since there were several wires, and wasn't sure which is the right one.

Will take pic if I remember
Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbal
sell the 645 already roger lol
NEVER! lol

Got an E eh? that's a nice car for an old man
Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Members

thanks guys for all the info and advice, great topic......

had a noob question......if you "tapping" into a bunch of 12V sources, doesn't it take away from that accessory....if you have the AE's, tail rods, and license plate, tapped into the footwell 12v source, how is all the voltage split up, will the footwell light technically be 3/4 less bright when you unlock the car?

and, say the car is in acc mode, AE's on in DRL mode, and you accidently press the unlock the car, which i've done with the key in my pocket......would that mean both power from the cig lighter and footwell would power the AE's at the same time? could that be damaging?

sorry about the ignorance, was trying to find answers on google, but failed......

any help would be appreciated.....thanks again....
Old 06-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by antzz_87
Ok, the good news is that it worked yes! Thank you all! The bad news is that it only worked for 2 seconds and then gone. When I check around, I found that the electrical tape that I use to wrap 400V diode is melting & the diode is disconected with the cable.. Hmm.. I'm wondering did I make any mistake? Do I need to buy ? tennis ball size diode? Lol..
It could be bad diode (soldered too long and got overheated?). Use alligator clip as a heat sink to protect diode during soldering.
Proper wattage soldering iron is a must. Properly soldered diode will not be even warm to touch.

Did this mod today and . Thanks for the ideas guys. I also added the DRL for the Angel Eyes by tapping positive source from passenger footwell.
Now I don't have turn parking lamps on to have AEs on. They turn on when switch is set to position 2.
I used two 1N4001 diodes BTW.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by djdc78
thanks guys for all the info and advice, great topic......

had a noob question......if you "tapping" into a bunch of 12V sources, doesn't it take away from that accessory....if you have the AE's, tail rods, and license plate, tapped into the footwell 12v source, how is all the voltage split up, will the footwell light technically be 3/4 less bright when you unlock the car?

and, say the car is in acc mode, AE's on in DRL mode, and you accidently press the unlock the car, which i've done with the key in my pocket......would that mean both power from the cig lighter and footwell would power the AE's at the same time? could that be damaging?

sorry about the ignorance, was trying to find answers on google, but failed......

any help would be appreciated.....thanks again....
Hi there,

it's a logical question but the answer is that it won't take any juice off of the other equipment 12V = 12V and just bc something else is powered by a line doesn't mean it gets lower. Think about it this way... A battery only has 2 terminals + and - with a wiring harness that goes trough the entire car. every part needs 12V so you're good
Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog
Hi there,

it's a logical question but the answer is that it won't take any juice off of the other equipment 12V = 12V and just bc something else is powered by a line doesn't mean it gets lower. Think about it this way... A battery only has 2 terminals + and - with a wiring harness that goes trough the entire car. every part needs 12V so you're good
thanks schulrog......does make sense......

looking forward to this mod when i get a chance...

thanks for the DIY!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

sorry for the double post
Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

So do you mean looking at the harness from the back when its plugged in? The top two are for the AE's and Eyebrows? I think its labeled pin #4 & #8 in the inside part of where the harness goes into. Pls confirm before I splice into those two wires in a few minutes . I was trying to test them with a voltmeter but dont know if was doing it right due to nothing coming up on the meter. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by suthurnbimmur
So do you mean looking at the harness from the back when its plugged in? The top two are for the AE's and Eyebrows? I think its labeled pin #4 & #8 in the inside part of where the harness goes into. Pls confirm before I splice into those two wires in a few minutes . I was trying to test them with a voltmeter but dont know if was doing it right due to nothing coming up on the meter. Thanks.
Yes, the top two are the ones you need for eyebrow and angel eye.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Senior Members

Thanks Nigxdoof ! Tapping into the harness was the best way to do it, easier, specially with my big ol' hands, and even cleaner! Thanks again fellaz , just finished mine and it is NICE !

A quick observation though, when you tap into the eyebrow on the driver side headlight, it powers up the passenger side. Dont ask me how or why but I just observed it, lol. So on the passenger side, all you need to do is just tap into the AE and thats it!

Quick Reply: AE Illumination when unlocking the car