DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AE Illumination when unlocking the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530I

Originally Posted by cupper
Hi Guys,
Hate to be a complete moron when it comes to these cars but I do have a few quick questions. (I am new and have been reading ALOT so please don't kill me)
1) I have a 2007 525xi, no xeon, pre-lci this should work for me right?
2) What bulbs can I use to my the angel eyes brighter, I love the idea of using them as the DRLs as shown!

Thank you!
You would need to get the angel eye bulb which Brabusw209amg (John) sells it, he's a great go to guy for lights.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/848...in-the-market/
He's having a special for $135 right now.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cupper
Also, as a second question, why couldn't you just wire directly to the switch and inject the signal for the "parking lights" instead of going out to the lights?
The switch doesn't actually give 12V.. the LCU (Lighting control unit) does. the switch just tells the LCU to turn on/off the lights through an integrated circuit so that's a no go unless you want to fry the switch by pumping 12V through it
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I, K&N CAI, M-tech front bumper, Sprint-booster, Silver Hella taillights (vehicle is under construction)

I just read this today and all I can say is AWESOME! btw, can I tap my drl and AE so it will both on when unlocking the car? If this is possible, this will cure my envy to merc e class that have its drl on when unlocking the car... and btw, since I'm a nob what cable should i use for this mood?

thanks....
Old 05-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

Yes, I did it to my pre-lci very easy and simple. If you check pages one I believe has 2 different ones you want to use, but it's easier by just adding diode instead of using the relay. Your high beam would still be on though for driving light as well as your angel eyes and eye brows if you wired it. You would need the dealer to disable the high beam as driving light which I got quoted $150.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I, K&N CAI, M-tech front bumper, Sprint-booster, Silver Hella taillights (vehicle is under construction)

To prevent taping into wrong cables, I have another couple questions..

first, on the first picture, which cable should I tap? the red/blue one or the brown one?
second, since I want my inner high beam to turn on when unlocking the car as circled on the second picture.
Which cable should I tap? the white one or the brown one? shown on the third picture. Finally as you can see on the third picture, should I tap on the right side cable which is cable that goes into the whole headlight housing or straight to the light cable which is on the left side?

really appreciate your help guys..
Attached Thumbnails AE Illumination when unlocking the car-_dsc0353.jpg   AE Illumination when unlocking the car-_dsc0374.jpg   AE Illumination when unlocking the car-_dsc0372.jpg  
Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by antzz_87
I just read this today and all I can say is AWESOME! btw, can I tap my drl and AE so it will both on when unlocking the car? If this is possible, this will cure my envy to merc e class that have its drl on when unlocking the car... and btw, since I'm a nob what cable should i use for this mood?

thanks....
Just go to radio shack and get a 22 gauge stranded cable. should be like $6 for 90 feet. Yes tapping into the DRL's should be the same concept. You'd just run a wire that's already tapped into the AE's to the DRL's. Keep in mind though that this will make the actual DRL's turn on also as long as the ignition is on. If you only want the DRL's to come on when unlocking the car like in the benz then i would suggest running a seperate wire to the DRL's from the interior of the car
Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by antzz_87
To prevent taping into wrong cables, I have another couple questions..

first, on the first picture, which cable should I tap? the red/blue one or the brown one?
second, since I want my inner high beam to turn on when unlocking the car as circled on the second picture.
Which cable should I tap? the white one or the brown one? shown on the third picture. Finally as you can see on the third picture, should I tap on the right side cable which is cable that goes into the whole headlight housing or straight to the light cable which is on the left side?

really appreciate your help guys..
tap straight to the actual bulb cable instead of the headlight housing. as for what cable to use, go get a voltmeter and connect the leads to the connector. if it shows around 12V then the red connector is on the power wire. If it shows -12V then the red connector from the voltmeter is on the ground wire.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by schulrog
tap straight to the actual bulb cable instead of the headlight housing. as for what cable to use, go get a voltmeter and connect the leads to the connector. if it shows around 12V then the red connector is on the power wire. If it shows -12V then the red connector from the voltmeter is on the ground wire.
Another question for the expert. Is it safe to do voltage check on the harness plug while disconnected(unplugged) from the headlight assembly? I'm trying to find the wire that powers the AEs.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by schulrog
Thanks for the explanation schulrog one last question, will this method work with hid equiped foglight?

Thanks again for the help...
Old 05-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rizbel
Another question for the expert. Is it safe to do voltage check on the harness plug while disconnected(unplugged) from the headlight assembly? I'm trying to find the wire that powers the AEs.
I don't see an issue with that. However, I'm pretty sure that the AE wires are on the outside of the headlight housing... basically the bulb for the AE's goes into the socket and the wires are right there. Should be easy to figure out which one it is from there

Quick Reply: AE Illumination when unlocking the car