DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

2005 E60 DYI Aux Input Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchase a kit to install an auxillary input in my 2005 545I (part number 65-12-0-153-502). The instructions seemed simple enough, but alas. Much more difficult than I imagined. It appears that in order to install the cable to the back of the CCC I need to remove the M-ASK. A few questions.

1) Is there another way (going if from the driver side?) or am I relegated to taking it to the dealer.
2) In order to access the back of the CCC, I need to remove the trim around the volume knob, rocker switches, can I do it without special tools?
3) I have a 6 cd changer, will I lose the functionality of that unit if I actually get the aux input installed?

I have looked at hundreds of posts, and have the instructions, but they are very basic.

It states that it is an hour job, I am not quite sure how. I am typically very proficient at this type of task, but this one has got me.

Any help would be outstanding, thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Lucas,
If you think you're handy enough, you can do it but it might take a full hour just for hardware installation.
Shift levershifter to D and set parking brake
To remove CCC, you need to remove:
1. Dashboard woodtrim start from passenger's door by prying it up with flat screw driver covered with thin cloth to avoid damaging woodtrim.
2. Remove central lock/hazard button by using a small flat head screw driver while holding up the dash woodtrim
3. Disconnect three connectors in the back to the climate control unit
4. Unscrew two screw holding climate control unit and center trim
5. Remove center trim by pulling it out with car
6. While removing center trim, disconnect two connector in the back to the unit with DSC button
7. Unscrew CCC screws
8. Remove CC unit and disconnect big square connector (about 2 in x 2 in) in the back on your left
Start installing your AUX cable to the CCC

You need to remove glove box and glove box cover:
1. Remove two pin holding glove box on both sides
2. Unscrew 4 screws in the footwell holding glove box
3. Unscrew 6 or 7 screws holding glove box cover
4. Install AUX from CCC

Seems complicated, so if you have $150 to spare, bring it to dealer for them to do it.
In my case, I installed myself and dealer retrofit software for me. SW retrofit is roughly 1/2 hour + 20% BMWCCA discount = ~ $60

If you have anymore question, please let me know.

Best Regards,
my530i
Old 10-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lucasbp1' post='342468' date='Oct 6 2006, 08:08 PM
I just purchase a kit to install an auxillary input in my 2005 545I (part number 65-12-0-153-502). The instructions seemed simple enough, but alas. Much more difficult than I imagined. It appears that in order to install the cable to the back of the CCC I need to remove the M-ASK. A few questions.

1) Is there another way (going if from the driver side?) or am I relegated to taking it to the dealer.
2) In order to access the back of the CCC, I need to remove the trim around the volume knob, rocker switches, can I do it without special tools?
3) I have a 6 cd changer, will I lose the functionality of that unit if I actually get the aux input installed?

I have looked at hundreds of posts, and have the instructions, but they are very basic.

It states that it is an hour job, I am not quite sure how. I am typically very proficient at this type of task, but this one has got me.

Any help would be outstanding, thanks in advance.
Outstanding, I will work on it in the morning, thanks very much. I will let you know you it turns out.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Contributors

Just one other thing to add to my530i great instructions. I see that you asked about losing the 6 disc changer functionality. you won't, but once you install the AUX, and yet to CODE it, you'll lose all your bass in your car until you code your car at the dealer. Please don't be alarmed about that. This is from my experience. Regards.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='342498' date='Oct 6 2006, 11:57 PM
Just one other thing to add to my530i great instructions. I see that you asked about losing the 6 disc changer functionality. you won't, but once you install the AUX, and yet to CODE it, you'll lose all your bass in your car until you code your car at the dealer. Please don't be alarmed about that. This is from my experience. Regards.
Ok, got everything uninstalled and the aux put in, however, it has yet to show up on the menu under entertainment. Do I need to do something? When I bought the part from the dealer, he said that it should just show up on the screen, but he also mentioned that it might take some sort of cycling, any ideas? Thanks again!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Contributors

After you install it at home, you'll notice you lose all your bass, thats a sign of everything connected correctly. Now its time to bring it to your dealer to do coding so the iDrive recognizes the AUX input. This HAS to be done at your dealer and there is no way around it. After the dealers codes it, you will get AUX AUDIO as an option under the entertainment menu. YOUR DEALER MUST CODE IT, after your install. Also just to point out that, after you get your AUX working, you might like to follow my530i's instruction on how to remove some resistors of some sort, so that any audio input can have sufficient bass like regular CDs. Please ask my530i, if you need any help with removing the resistors on your AUX cable.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Contributors

In my case, I installed myself and dealer retrofit software for me. SW retrofit is roughly 1/2 hour + 20% BMWCCA discount = ~ $60
Need to bring it to dealer for software retrofit. It does not automagically show up on idrive screen.
It should charge you only 1/2 hour for this. Make sure you bring the AUX bulletin along showing them that both HW and SW installation take 1 hr, so SW retrofit should charge only 1/2 hr.
If you have BMWCCA card (in case you're in US), some dealer will give you 20% off labor.
My dealer charge ~$150/hour.
Good luck.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='342594' date='Oct 7 2006, 10:52 AM
Need to bring it to dealer for software retrofit. It does not automagically show up on idrive screen.
It should charge you only 1/2 hour for this. Make sure you bring the AUX bulletin along showing them that both HW and SW installation take 1 hr, so SW retrofit should charge only 1/2 hr.
If you have BMWCCA card (in case you're in US), some dealer will give you 20% off labor.
My dealer charge ~$150/hour.
Good luck.
Thanks yet again. Just one last question before I put everything back together. The instructions on the Aux Retrofit are somewhat unclear. I just plugged in the cable into the correct spot in the back of the CCC, then run the cable, thats it. The instructions state "Disconnect the existing cables from branch A2, and connect them to plug X13813". Just want to make sure before I begin putting it all back together.

P.S. If I want to get my cd changer to play MP3s, what do I need to ask the dealer to do? I might as well get it all done at the same time.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Contributors

Hi Lucas,

The AUX unit comes with two connectors: round 3.5mm jack and rectangular connector (branch A2) with 3 wires connect to it. Disconnect three wires from that rectangular connector (A2 as instructed) and plug it into CCC rectangular connector (X13812) similar to the one comes with AUX cable.
You have to take that rectangular connector (X13812) out from big square connector that connects to CCC so you can easily plug three AUX wires to it.
At the end you'll have one unused connector (A2) which comes from AUX cable

As of now, no CD changer from E60 can play MP3. Only the slot in dash can play MP3 (both CD and DVD slots)
Old 10-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='342678' date='Oct 7 2006, 05:54 PM
Hi Lucas,

The AUX unit comes with two connectors: round 3.5mm jack and rectangular connector (branch A2) with 3 wires connect to it. Disconnect three wires from that rectangular connector (A2 as instructed) and plug it into CCC rectangular connector (X13813) similar to the one comes with AUX cable.
You have to take that rectangular connector (X13813) out from big square connector that connects to CCC so you can easily plug three AUX wires to it.
At the end you'll have one unused connector (A2) which comes from AUX cable

As of now, no CD changer from E60 can play MP3. Only the slot in dash can play MP3 (both CD and DVD slots)
Hopefully this is the last question on this topic.

Just for the record, my 545I doesn't have the nav, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

On the main plug coming out of the CCC (X13812), there wasn't a plug in either of the lower postions. I belive are pins down there are numbered 1-24 (but they are all unused at this point). I re-configured the plug (A2) that came with the aux kit so that the pins were correctly corresponding with the correct wires (It looks a lot like the X13813). So I think everything is ok, but I am not sure why the plug to which you referred, (X13813) wasn't in the back of my CCC. Anyway, I am sure the pins are correct and will take it to the dealer on Monday to see if they can upload the correct update. Hopefully there is something different about my car, because it seems to be a bit confusing.

Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: 2005 E60 DYI Aux Input Help