Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004 | 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Sep 26 2004, 12:47 AM
Ice, What were they talking about a "water based paint"? BMW uses a powder based paint. No water at all.
[snapback]38086[/snapback]
I don't know if water or powder. But my dealere and BMW Munich keep telling me the paint is water based...
Old 09-25-2004 | 03:14 PM
Senior Members

It turns out they may be right. There is conflicting information on the Dingolfing web site.

In one place it says: "Used in series production for the first time in the Dingolfing Plant, powder clear paint technology is a significant step forwards in automobile production. The water-based and powder clear paint used in this process helps to preserve the environment..."

In another it says: "In May 1997 BMW became the first car maker in the world to introduce environmentally compatible powder-based paint technology at the Dingolfing Plant, making the paintwork even more brilliant. In the paint application process the powder is electrostatically charged by means of an electrode when leaving the spray gun, making sure that the powder particles rest properly on the earthed body. The powder itself does not dry until the body reaches the drier..."

Sooo.
Old 09-25-2004 | 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

In German, from BMW.de:

Original BMW Color System.
Brillante Lacke auf Wasserbasis.

Durch die internationale Versch?rfung der VOC-Gesetzesauflagen f?llt der Wasserbasis-Lacktechnologie eine immer wichtigere Rolle zu. Ihre Bedeutung hat BMW fr?hzeitig erkannt und deshalb unabh?ngig von den zu erwartenden VOC-Richtlinien gehandelt. Mit BMW HydroColor besitzt BMW ein Reparatursystem, das den umweltpolitischen Zielen auch in der Zukunft gerecht wird.
Im November 2000 wurde das Produktsortiment von BMW ColorSystem vollst?ndig auf Wasserbasis-Mischlacke umgestellt, so dass die konventionellen Mischlacke der Zweischichttechnologie entfallen.
- Die serienorientierte Wasserbasis-Lacktechnologie schont die Umwelt und verbessert die Bedingungen am Arbeitsplatz.
- Pro Lackierung werden 90% weniger L?sungsmittel freigesetzt.
- Der Restm?ll reduziert sich um 90%.
- Somit wird nicht nur die Schadstoffemission gesenkt, sondern auch die Entsorgungskosten deutlich reduziert.

Paint is water based...
It's better for the environment...
Old 09-25-2004 | 03:16 PM
Senior Members

Did you see my second post avove your last post where it says in one place that it is powder and in another it says water.
Old 09-25-2004 | 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Sep 26 2004, 01:16 AM
Did you see my second post avove your last post where it says in one place that it is powder and in another it says water.
[snapback]38103[/snapback]
We were writing at the same time... When I posted both of them appeared...
Old 09-25-2004 | 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Just checked the Dingolfing site and it says (in German( that the paint is water based, and the clear coat is powder based.
Old 09-25-2004 | 03:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 25 2004, 06:31 PM
Just checked the Dingolfing site and it says (in German( that the paint is water based, and the clear coat is powder based.
[snapback]38111[/snapback]
Ok that must be what confused me. I was doing the virtual tour and it showed the paint spraying area and it only mentions the powder based paint like I wrote above. But then when I checked through other parts of the site it mentions the water based as also mentioned before. But it does seem to be the clear coat which is the powder based one that is having the probs with the bird droppings which would make sense wince most manufacturers don't use that, hence they do not have this problem. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-26-2004 | 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

That makees sense. The clear coat is on top of the paint. So the clear coat is having the probs.
that shows that my dealer and BMW are telling me BS and they don't want to do anything, because they can't. But why is BMW still using the powder based claer coat? Everybody is having those problems...
Old 09-26-2004 | 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Good question. I have the same problem. Bird droppings were on my hood for about 2 hours until I could get home and wash them off. This is even after waxing the car. In the right lighting I can see the etching of the paint. It's not too noticable though because right beside that someone keyed my car :'( and put a 2 foot long scratch down the hood and another 6 inch scratch right beside that so it kind of takes your eyes off of the etching.
Old 09-26-2004 | 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by skipper' date='Sep 26 2004, 05:47 PM
Good question. I have the same problem. Bird droppings were on my hood for about 2 hours until I could get home and wash them off. This is even after waxing the car. In the right lighting I can see the etching of the paint. It's not too noticable though because right beside that someone keyed my car? :'( and put a 2 foot long scratch down the hood and another 6 inch scratch right beside that so it kind of takes your eyes off of the etching.
[snapback]38277[/snapback]

Sorry to hear about the keyed hood.

Quick Reply: Paint issues