Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

An Ode to the California Car Duster

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I use mine on my windows too.

I've never scratched any of my cars with one.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Contributors

thanks to this forum, over the past few weeks i have bought:

- california duster
- rejex
- 303 Protectorant

can't be happier with the stuff!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Jul 20 2005, 03:24 PM
Hey Alohalc...

The dusters don't work real well on windows because they tend to leave streaks...there is a wax-type coating (I think) on the dusters that helps the dust adhere...works great on the paint, but not so much on the windows....

Someone mentioned Costco, and I have to agree...you get a large duster that works great for the paint, and a smaller duster that works great for the wheels...and it's way cheap!!

I quit using the duster on my wheels....I wash once a week, and in between the washes, I wipe the dust off the wheels.....I love clean wheels!
[snapback]151384[/snapback]
i think you just reminded me something and i agree with you. i kind of remember i used the duster for my windows once and i saw streaks. in fact, i used the duster for my house's furnitures once and it worked pretty good, too .
Old 07-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Jul 20 2005, 06:24 PM
The dusters don't work real well on windows because they tend to leave streaks...there is a wax-type coating (I think) on the dusters that helps the dust adhere...works great on the paint, but not so much on the windows....
[snapback]151384[/snapback]
The streaking occurs for the first several times you use the duster (caused by the wax coating--best to lay out a few paper grocery bags and place duster on them for a day or so to absorb the excess wax). It happens on all surfaces--just more noticeable on windows. I use mine on windows with no streams.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:29 PM
edl
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i born July 13, 2005, Jet Black with Black Dakota leather interior, 6 speed manual transmission, with sports package, premium sound package, cold weather package and satellite prep...persistence overcomes resistence!

Stream, as always...you are right on the money - here is a scan of the directions that came with the OCD I just bought:

"Congratulations on your purchase of the effective, time-saving "ORIGINAL" CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER.' It is designed to easily remove dust without scratching your car's finish. Great for exotic and classic cars, street rods, the family sedan, sport utility vehicles or trucks. What's more, by using the "ORIGINAL" CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER" on a regular basis, you'll cut down on required car washes. The "ORIGINAL" CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER? can be used over and over, year after year. In fact, the "dirtier" it looks, the better it works!

The 100% cotton mop head is treated with a special paraffin wax. It literally "lifts" dust from the vehicle surface. When first using the "ORIGINAL" CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER", it's best to let it sit on newspaper and air out for 48 hours to remove any excess paraffin. For best results, use only on cool dry surfaces.

If you feel the need to wash the "ORIGINAL" CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER' for any reason, hand wash only using a mild soap (like Woolite) and lukewarm water. Allow the Duster to air dry.

ATTENTION

The "ORIGINAL" CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER' is designed to safely and effectively remove surface dust from your vehicle. Here are a few helpful hints to help ready your Duster for years of flawless service

1. Remove Duster from its protective cellophane bag.

2. Set your Duster on newspaper and let it air out for 48 hours.

3. Shake Duster vigorously before and after each use.

Until the Duster is properly "seasoned," (which happens after 2 or 3 uses), the Duster may leave minor streaks from excess paraffin wax. Do not be alarmed because the wax will not harm the finish of your vehicle, and can easily be wiped off. After 2 or 3 uses the Duster will work flawlessly, giving you outstanding results.

For maximum effectiveness, lightly dust the surface. Do not apply pressure and rub your vehicle or use the Duster for scrubbing the finish. Use only on cool dry surfaces.

Remember, the dirtier your "ORIGINAL" CALIFORNIA CAR DUSTER' gets the better it works!!!

It is not recommended to dust off your car's hood immediately after driving-allow it to cool. Do not leave your Duster on fabrics or carpets, stains could result."

Hope this helps.

thanks,
edl
Old 08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

I am a wanna be california resident, I use the mini duster for wheels only works good. Larger one for the paint. Love anything about California, girls, duster, music, food, weather etc. hehe.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Jul 20 2005, 03:45 AM
Black takes about 20 minutes.
[snapback]151042[/snapback]
Umm more like from the moment you put the dame car in drive
Old 08-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

I dont see how it doesnt cause clear coat scratches. How does it work?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 AM
Senior Members

you can check out this site .