Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

An Ode to the California Car Duster

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Jul 20 2005, 12:26 AM
[quote name='rodneyremington' date='Jul 19 2005, 10:01 PM']Man, I thought you knew us better than that?

Different dusters for the paint and the wheels man. Different dusters. Gotta love the paint.
[snapback]151016[/snapback]
Just making sure bro.

Silver can go a good week and half without looking dirty though.
[snapback]151038[/snapback]
[/quote]

Black takes about 20 minutes.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Senior Members

just wondering if you guys use the duster for windows as well . i have one for the interior and love it . i don't have one for the paint nor the wheels since it rains/showers every day over here .
Old 07-20-2005, 04:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I use the "Florida" version of the California Car Duster exclusively for my wheels. It is perfect for the 6ers Sport wheel, at least it is in Florida
Attached Thumbnails An Ode to the California Car Duster-bmw645_wheel.jpg  
Old 07-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I've been using California dusters on my cars for years. One for the paint, a dash duster for the interior, and a mini duster for the wheels. Great product. Here in the bay area, I can usually go 2 - 4 weeks without a wash (unless it's the winter rainy season) and dust the paint once or twice a week, and the wheels and interior once a week.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12283
Old 07-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Members

Costco sells a package with one large duster and one small for about $13. Cheap enough to buy several!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Question for the CA Duster Experts:

I use one when my car has been sitting in the garage for awhile (like when traveling) but....

My office is next to a body shop (the business park has sort of built up around it). I get a lot of bondo dust mixed with grit from sanding. Steps are being taken with the APCB and hopefully it will be resolved in the future. But, for now I just wash the car weekly as I worry about using the duster when the stuff is so abrasive.

What do you think???
Old 07-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

try blowing the heaveir dust off with a blower of some type... like a leaf blower or a compressed air..... then dust..... but first examine.... if the buikd up is caked on.... like car got rained on with the build up.... then i would wash.... hats what i would do...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Members

I have never seen this type of duster in UK and as I have a jet black E60 would like to buy one when I visit Florida in October. Do Walmart sell them?
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 07-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

these dusters are available in the uk , usually they are red or blue, quite cheap to buy costco sell the but so do places like the bargain stores as well.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jul 20 2005, 03:45 AM
just wondering if you guys use the duster for windows as well .? i have one for the interior and love it .? i don't have one for the paint nor the wheels since it rains/showers every day over here .
[snapback]151069[/snapback]

Hey Alohalc...

The dusters don't work real well on windows because they tend to leave streaks...there is a wax-type coating (I think) on the dusters that helps the dust adhere...works great on the paint, but not so much on the windows....

Someone mentioned Costco, and I have to agree...you get a large duster that works great for the paint, and a smaller duster that works great for the wheels...and it's way cheap!!

I quit using the duster on my wheels....I wash once a week, and in between the washes, I wipe the dust off the wheels.....I love clean wheels!

Quick Reply: An Ode to the California Car Duster