Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Leather & High Gloss Protective Coating

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As most dealers do, mine is "suggesting" an aftermarket company to put on a High Gloss Protective Coating on the paint and Leather Protection on the inside ...

I have always thought this is was waste of money ... your feedback is needed! Thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Feb 11 2005, 02:32 PM
As most dealers do, mine is "suggesting" an aftermarket company to put on a High Gloss Protective Coating on the paint and Leather Protection on the inside ...

I have always thought this is was waste of money ... your feedback is needed!? Thanks in advance
[snapback]89184[/snapback]

I personally would avoid the middle man and head to your favorite high-end detail shop if you are concerned about your vehicle's appearance. Let them know where you park it, how you drive it, etc... and they can inform you of the services they offer. They should be much more reasonable and I would be willing to bet do a better job. Get references for the detail shop you choose.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Feb 11 2005, 01:32 PM

I have always thought this is was waste of money ... your feedback is needed!? Thanks in advance
Total waste of money.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Feb 11 2005, 02:32 PM

I agree it's a total waste of money. When I bought my 545 I was expecting a sales pitch for this clearcoat service. My perception of my dealer raised a notch or two when in fact they didn't even mention it.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

This stuff serves only one purpose: it lines your dealer's pockets with gold. New car finishes are extremely durable and require only a little bit of care and common sense. If you avoid damaging the finish when you wash the car, and keep it reasonably clean, it should look good for many years. Leather seating should be cleaned with mild cleaners and need little or no other attention. Reputable dealers do not peddle the crap your dealer is trying to sell to you. By the way, did they offer you rustproof undercoating?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

Sadly I did get this pitch from my sales guy at the 11th hour when I got my car too. He was polite about it but I still thought it was below us both. My reply was "well, you're welcome to add it on but I'm not paying a nickle beyond what we've already agreed." His reply was "but it costs x dollars..." and my reply was "it doesn't cost me anything, but if you want to pay for it, feel free".

Supposedly he did. I know I didn't.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

My business partner got the $350 5 year clearcoat protection. The guy came to our office and I saw how he does it. A simpler way to describe it would be "An expensive car wash" no more, no less.

Don't get it. Give it to me and I'll wash and wax your car for $300 dollars
Old 02-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Waste of money... save it and get rejex.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Modern day snake oil. Can actually do harm.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dfndr' date='Feb 11 2005, 06:52 PM
This stuff serves only one purpose: it lines your dealer's pockets with gold.? New car finishes are extremely durable and require only a little bit of care and common sense.? If you avoid damaging the finish when you wash the car, and keep it reasonably clean, it should look good for many years.? Leather seating should be cleaned with mild cleaners and need little or no other attention.? Reputable dealers do not peddle the crap your dealer is trying to sell to you.? By the way, did they offer you rustproof undercoating?
[snapback]89260[/snapback]
Surprisingly, they told me that the car does not required rustproofing (yet they tried to push the other two) ...

Quick Reply: Leather & High Gloss Protective Coating