Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

How to get rid of air freshener/ perfume in interior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 545i
Default How to get rid of air freshener/ perfume in interior?

I picked up a 545i recently and the interior smells strong of coconut air freshener and perfume. What's the best way to remove the smell? I've already febreezed the carpets and used leather cleaner on the seats, but that didn't help much. The smell is coming from everywhere- even the headliner. I'm guessing they sprayed it all over the car.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

For example the Meguiar's has a product called Odour Eliminator. You could try that.
It is sprayed on surfaces and nothing more. It doesn't cover the smell, it should remove it.

- Antti -
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 AM
Contributors

Default Coconut smell

Originally Posted by ASpec818
I picked up a 545i recently and the interior smells strong of coconut air freshener and perfume. What's the best way to remove the smell? I've already febreezed the carpets and used leather cleaner on the seats, but that didn't help much. The smell is coming from everywhere- even the headliner. I'm guessing they sprayed it all over the car.
Your car was probably imported thru the BMW Hawaii Car Preparation Center ... check the trunk for a stowaway hooker.

Seriously, the original owner may have left an air freshener under the seats - or somewhere else; they don't last forever. On a sunny breezy day park it with the sunroof open and windows down. Or drive it that way for a couple of hours to air it out. IMHO adding another smell (Fabreeze etc) to disguise the original smell isn't going to help.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 AM
New Members

Not surprisingly, there WAS a stinky coconut air freshener wedged under the driver's seat. I removed it last week and have been airing out the car since, but the smell is still in the car! The vents even blow out that smell when I start the car. I searched everywhere and it doesn't look like another freshener is hidden. Is the smell just trapped in the car?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

It CRACKS me up that people have air fresheners in the car. Actually, I love the smell of my car and when I don't drive it for a while and I get in its almost like an orgasm! The leather normally makes the car smell nice. Now, if the car smelled bad, then maybe an air freshener would be required. Last weekend I noticed a e60 and there must have been 50 little green tree air fresheners hanging from the mirror!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 PM
New Members

It's been a couple months and the vents are still emitting the annoying coconut smell. I can smell it when the car is off with no air blowing. When the car is on with air blowing, the air smells like coconut. I checked the cabin micro filter and there was nothing wedged in there. This is frustrating. Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

1Z makes a product to clean the smells within your HVAC system. For carpets and other soft surfaces inside the car, use shampoos on a brush to loosen the particles, then vacuum up the shampoo with a shop vac. If smell persists, find a detailer in your area, who has an ozone machine. But start with the 1Z Clima Cleaner first
Old 11-13-2013, 03:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW M3 coupé e90

Originally Posted by ASpec818

Hi there,

My car suffer from the same coconut / vanilla-nightmare - it drives me INSANE!!! I've tried everything, gave up, and have had my car for sale for 5 months with no potential buyers. Seems that i'm forced to solve this problem whatever it takes!

Therefore I've been searching around for this topic, with very few results. One of the, is you, and I would like to ask if you have had any positive results with your smell-removing project?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Soren from Denmark