5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Detailing Forum (https://5series.net/forums/detailing-forum-15/)
-   -   How to get rid of air freshener/ perfume in interior? (https://5series.net/forums/detailing-forum-15/how-get-rid-air-freshener-perfume-interior-132735/)

ASpec818 05-04-2013 10:37 AM

How to get rid of air freshener/ perfume in interior?

I picked up a 545i recently and the interior smells strong of coconut air freshener and perfume. What's the best way to remove the smell? I've already febreezed the carpets and used leather cleaner on the seats, but that didn't help much. The smell is coming from everywhere- even the headliner. I'm guessing they sprayed it all over the car.

Anzafin 05-04-2013 08:49 PM

For example the Meguiar's has a product called Odour Eliminator. You could try that.
It is sprayed on surfaces and nothing more. It doesn't cover the smell, it should remove it.

- Antti -

luigi524td 05-05-2013 04:19 AM

Coconut smell

Originally Posted by ASpec818 (Post 1504227)
I picked up a 545i recently and the interior smells strong of coconut air freshener and perfume. What's the best way to remove the smell? I've already febreezed the carpets and used leather cleaner on the seats, but that didn't help much. The smell is coming from everywhere- even the headliner. I'm guessing they sprayed it all over the car.

Your car was probably imported thru the BMW Hawaii Car Preparation Center ... check the trunk for a stowaway hooker. :whistle:

Seriously, the original owner may have left an air freshener under the seats - or somewhere else; they don't last forever. On a sunny breezy day park it with the sunroof open and windows down. Or drive it that way for a couple of hours to air it out. IMHO adding another smell (Fabreeze etc) to disguise the original smell isn't going to help.

ASpec818 05-13-2013 10:37 AM

Not surprisingly, there WAS a stinky coconut air freshener wedged under the driver's seat. I removed it last week and have been airing out the car since, but the smell is still in the car! The vents even blow out that smell when I start the car. I searched everywhere and it doesn't look like another freshener is hidden. Is the smell just trapped in the car?

tonyb635 05-15-2013 02:32 PM

It CRACKS me up that people have air fresheners in the car. Actually, I love the smell of my car and when I don't drive it for a while and I get in its almost like an orgasm! The leather normally makes the car smell nice. Now, if the car smelled bad, then maybe an air freshener would be required. Last weekend I noticed a e60 and there must have been 50 little green tree air fresheners hanging from the mirror!

ASpec818 07-12-2013 07:26 PM

It's been a couple months and the vents are still emitting the annoying coconut smell. I can smell it when the car is off with no air blowing. When the car is on with air blowing, the air smells like coconut. I checked the cabin micro filter and there was nothing wedged in there. This is frustrating. Any ideas?

v_therussian 07-28-2013 02:17 PM

1Z makes a product to clean the smells within your HVAC system. For carpets and other soft surfaces inside the car, use shampoos on a brush to loosen the particles, then vacuum up the shampoo with a shop vac. If smell persists, find a detailer in your area, who has an ozone machine. But start with the 1Z Clima Cleaner first :thumbsup:

Søren Skovbo 11-13-2013 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ASpec818 (Post 1504227)

Hi there,

My car suffer from the same coconut / vanilla-nightmare - it drives me INSANE!!! I've tried everything, gave up, and have had my car for sale for 5 months with no potential buyers. Seems that i'm forced to solve this problem whatever it takes!

Therefore I've been searching around for this topic, with very few results. One of the, is you, and I would like to ask if you have had any positive results with your smell-removing project?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Soren from Denmark