Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

DIY polishing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, after successfully using my Griot's random orbital and Polish #3 on my son's old blue and white Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, I am taking deep breaths and stretching before tackling my black E60, which was swirled mercilessly by the previous owner.

But I was looking for advice on whether I should use a different technique on the bumpers (which is glorified plastic) vs the rest of the car (which is, of course, steel). More, less pressure? Different polish grit? Or is the paint on any part of the car identical, and to be treated identically? My Crown Vic experience didn't teach me much in this area.

The advice and results I've seen from pros and DIYers on this forum are really great, so I look forward to any advice you can provide. Thanks--
Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hi!

As long as you're using a random orbital polisher, I'd say just go for it the same way as with other areas on the car .
There are heavier curves etc. on bumpers, so of course it doesn't hurt if you wanted to go with some more care on them. Especially the side edge of the pad can make some damage in these places, but like I said, as long you're with a random orbital, I wouldn't worry it too much. I hope this makes sense .

- Antti -
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Hi!

As long as you're using a random orbital polisher, I'd say just go for it the same way as with other areas on the car .
There are heavier curves etc. on bumpers, so of course it doesn't hurt if you wanted to go with some more care on them. Especially the side edge of the pad can make some damage in these places, but like I said, as long you're with a random orbital, I wouldn't worry it too much. I hope this makes sense .

- Antti -
Actually that is good advice. Thanks for the tip.