Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Car Wash or hand wash?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Its a 535d M-Sport... 19" Alloys, Carbon Black, Lots of bits and I love it!

Through all my time of owning a BMW I have always had my car hand washed, whether it be by my own fair hands or at the hands of my Eastern European friends at the local hand car wash establishment... however, in a moment of economic madness and laziness, I took it to through a car wash last week.... If you are expecting me to now tell you that it was a disaster, I can't! It was unbelievable!! My car has never looked so clean and shiny (Carbon Black 535d Sport).... It was simply awesome! So the question is, is the old adage that you should never use a car wash an old wives tail, because I am seriously tempted to take it back there!!

I would appreciate your thoughts!!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

Look at it on an angle against sunlight. You will probably see quite a lot of very fine swirlmarks.
If not now, they will most certainly show after repeatedly using it.

The only carwashes I use are some when I'm back in Germany, that run with Microfibre towels only instead of brushes.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='400108' date='Mar 8 2007, 12:26 PM
Look at it on an angle against sunlight. You will probably see quite a lot of very fine swirlmarks.
If not now, they will most certainly show after repeatedly using it.

The only carwashes I use are some when I'm back in Germany, that run with Microfibre towels only instead of brushes.
Exactly my approach. When I'm in the UK, its hand wash only, but in Germany I use specific car-washes. The car-washes are pretty advanced over here because it is illegal to hand-wash your car on the street due to the "environmental damage" caused by the car cleaning products.

One thing to watch out for with the car washes is your rims - not the towels scratching them, but curbing them on the car-wash rails that run either side. With my 275s on the back I was once only micro-millimeters away from scratching my M166s - it must have been my lucky day. It can a pretty tight squeeze when driving in to some car washes, so drive slowly and use your mirrors. You have been warned...!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Most of the high quality car washes here in the US use towel type brushes. These car washes in the the business of car wash not just a gas station with a wash on the side for $4.99. Thus these types of washes run from $15.99 to $25 per wash for the 'Ultimate' wash. These businesses also have a bunch of folks at the end that will hand dry it. Often they also offer a 'quick wax' for about $29. This is not a deep waxing but it does a good job when I do not see a waxing by my own hands for a while.

The cheap gas station washes also use the plastic egg beater type brushes that will do wonders to your paint as discribed above.

I also like these full service car wash places since they also will also have an underbody wash/sprayer. Here in Hell, um, I mean, New Jersey, the salt from the roads gets stuck everywhere there. It is a place too that I cannot get when hand washing.

Overall I have been a big fan of the full service washes, especially in the Winter where it is a brisk 20-30 F. I still enjoy hand washing and waxing my car.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530D , Msport, Deep Sea Blue , Cream Beige Dakota , Due April 2007.

Nothing i like more than a gleaming clean car but find forced into the nasty brush wash sometimes because the car is crying out for a clean and the hand wash's here are few with long long q's . Never have the time to take a sponge to it myself it seems.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those men cleaning interior at the car wash usuall damage your iDrive and instrument cluster screen which should only be cleaned by microfiber or the like. Watch closely and you see what I mean.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Always believed in a good hand job myself!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

yyaaahhhhoooooo
Old 03-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

this is a repost.
I never take any car to a car wash. just $hits up the paint work so 100% hand wash.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by KAF' post='400211' date='Mar 9 2007, 12:58 AM
Always believed in a good hand job myself!!!
O Ilet some 1 elas do it for me.

Quick Reply: Car Wash or hand wash?