Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Can wax and polish remove hairline scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 523i steptronic (delivered 22nd Sept. 2005) solid black, amethyst dakota leather, styling 124 18" PS2
Thumbs up

I can't believe that I managed to scratch my car by wiping off smudges with my handkerchief! These are very fine hairline scratches that you can see when the light reflects them at a certain angle. Does anyone know whether they can be removed simply by polishing or do I need to take it to a paint shop? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by titanic' date='Oct 23 2005, 10:05 PM
I can't believe that I managed to scratch my car by wiping off smudges with my handkerchief! These are very fine hairline scratches that you can see when the light reflects them at a certain angle. Does anyone know whether they can be removed simply by polishing or do I need to take it to a paint shop? Thanks.
[snapback]187825[/snapback]

Totally fixable. there is an excellent detailing forum on e60.net, and in there I found a nice link that was very useful to me: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-p...sh-clinic.html
Old 10-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530i. Premium, Sport, powere shades, Sat. radio and hopefully the occasional groupy in the seat.

if they are that fine, you could probably fix it by hand. use some seriously light compound to start out with and then polish it up and you're set. You might even get away with just polishing it up alone depending on the extent of the scratch.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by titanic' date='Oct 23 2005, 10:05 PM
[snapback]187825[/snapback]
If you can feel the scratches using your fingernail (very gently), then my best advice is for you to go to a professional. A professional probably can get them out or make them significantly better.

If they are truely hairline, then you may be able to do some good yourself with the right, for example, polish product, and wax might simply hide them for a time. Depending on the color of the car, polish and wax might make the scratches unnoticeable. Generally speaking, though, if one has scratches to remove, then my advice is to go to a professional.

Also, Griott's claims that one can use its 3 levels of machine polish to remove scratches. But, getting scratches of any size out is almost impossible with over the counter polishes and no machine; they are designed so that the average user can't damage his or her car's clear coat/paint.

If your car is black, then go to a professional (or become one). Incidentally, is your car black? Your misfortune is all too common for us black car owners. I have never been able to remove anything but the smallest possible scratches on my black Z06, but good waxes tend to hide some not completely removeable scratches.

If you try compund, then do as another poster suggested; use the least abrasive compound possible. Be very careful with compound.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

If they're as small as you make it sound try using polish and wax. For minor stuff I find that even Meguiers Cleaner Wax will do.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 523i steptronic (delivered 22nd Sept. 2005) solid black, amethyst dakota leather, styling 124 18" PS2

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 24 2005, 12:58 PM
If they're as small as you make it sound try using polish and wax. For minor stuff I find that even Meguiers Cleaner Wax will do.
[snapback]187859[/snapback]
My car is black sapphire, truly fine hairline scratches, probably casued by the polyester fiber in my handkerchief. I believe the correct term to use is swirl marks. I want to remove them permanently, not just to hide them with wax or some other polish. I have never used swirl remover before, so not sure how abrasive it is.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

welcome to life with a black car.
unfortunately thats how black cars go...when theyre clean theres no other nicer color, but swirl marks are inevitable, so thers no point in losing sleep over it.

what am i doing with my black sapphire?
NEVER go to a car wash, ALWAYS hand wash it....i cant emphasize this enough.
only use good quality microfiber for drying/waxing
use good quality waxes, not the storebought stuff.
gonna take it to a pro detailer once a year (springtime?) to get it polished to remove all the swirls if necessary.

so far, after 4 months, i have practically NO swirl marks
Old 10-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by titanic' date='Oct 24 2005, 02:51 AM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 24 2005, 12:58 PM']If they're as small as you make it sound try using polish and wax. For minor stuff I find that even Meguiers Cleaner Wax will do.
[snapback]187859[/snapback]
My car is black sapphire, truly fine hairline scratches, probably casued by the polyester fiber in my handkerchief. I believe the correct term to use is swirl marks. I want to remove them permanently, not just to hide them with wax or some other polish. I have never used swirl remover before, so not sure how abrasive it is.
[snapback]187912[/snapback]
[/quote]For dealing with a black car, go here. The bottom line is that black is beautiful, impossible to not scratch, and incredibly time consuming if you want your car to look good most of the time.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

Use the mildest rubbing compound you can find. Otherwise visit Russo. His "cleanser" will probably be enough. Waxing will only cover up swirl marks and light scratches.

Never, never use your hanky or tissue to wipe the car ever again. Buy 3M micro fibre cloth or some branded stuff from groomers like Russo. Always rinse your ride with plenty of water before washing.

Mine is jet black. Even when I visit Russo for a car wash, I will hose it down personally before his guys even get to touch the car.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Oct 24 2005, 11:14 PM
Use the mildest rubbing compound you can find.? Otherwise visit Russo.? His "cleanser" will probably be enough.? Waxing will only cover up swirl marks and light scratches.

Never, never use your hanky or tissue to wipe the car ever again.? Buy 3M micro fibre cloth or some branded stuff from groomers like Russo.? Always rinse your ride with plenty of water before washing.

Mine is jet black.? Even when I visit Russo for a car wash, I will hose it down personally before his guys even get to touch the car.
[snapback]187985[/snapback]
I used BlackMagic liquid wax on the affected panel last night and the swirl marks have diminished but still there. Can you pass me the address and telephone number of "Russo"? What about "Ah Long", will he be able to fix it?