Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Detaling

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i got my car about a month ago. I have waxed it once but want to do a full detailing. I've been researching it and decided to post my question among you. Are these the correct steps

1. Clay Bar (what exaclty is this and what does it do?)
2. Wash Car with a soap
3. dry with a MF towel
4. compund (if neccisary, not for me
5. polish the car (what is the never heard of it)
6. Wax the car

are these correct? What is the best wax to use on our 5's? Ziambo? where can i get it? what is a good polish and what is it?? what type of machine should i use to wax and polish it? If you know help would be great. Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

I currently use the expensive zymbol. It works pretty well but, i want to know if there is better. I want the best shine from my baby
Old 05-26-2004, 06:37 PM

Claying the car removes surface contaminants to leave a smooth, mirror-like finish.

A polish removes swirl marks and light scratches. The type of polish required will depend on the condition of your car. Since your car is fairly new, a very mild polish will be fine.

The wax or sealent will contain no abrasives and is used for protection while providing gloss and depth to your paint.

A compound is an extremely abrasive polish which you should not need at this point.

On the market, one can find cleaner/wax combos, which is simply wax mixed with a mild abrasive.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Contributors

Oh, the last reply was me
Old 05-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

Thank You very much
Old 05-26-2004, 07:23 PM
JDN
Contributors

My car is a month old also. I waxed it within the first week. I have washed it several times since, most recently yesterday. I keep it garaged 95% of the time. I would never consider clay, polish, etc. at this stage. There is no paint deterioration. I believe there is an opportunity to do more damage than good. What would I accomplish? I have an absolutely perfect paint job. I think anything other than wax or wax cleaner is unnecessary and unproductive. One man's opinion, of course, but this routine worked great for years on the Alpine White.

I ordered Rejex today and will try it on the wheels and maybe a fender or door panel to check it out.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree with JDN, why bother using a clay bar on a brand new car? It really could do more damage than good.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:22 AM
JDN
Contributors

I heard somewhere along the line that the time to use a clay bar was when you ran your fingers over the paint after washing and could feel particles on the paint. I stroke my paint after washing. When it doesn't feel slick enough, I wax again.

I always wax and use Rain-X before a road trip. Helps mileage.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:46 AM
Contributors

I too thought that claying would be unnecessary at this point, but after claying a small part of the car, I could notice a difference.

If your interested in the best shine and finish, the steps prior to waxing will make the biggest difference.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:49 AM
Contributors

I'm not saying that claying is absolutely necessary, but if plenty of lubrication is used, I really don't see how any damage could arise.

Quick Reply: Detaling