Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

3M Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

I recently got my clear bra installed by the guy from transparentbra.com... did a great job (thanks EBMCS03). He used VentureShield instead of 3M. Took about 4 hours and he came to my house. I'm supposed to wax it after waiting about three weeks for all of the water to come out. It has a minimal effect on the color of the paint. It will be even more transparent after all that water comes out, I'm told.

Only complaint is that when I use my instant detail spray and microfiber cloth the plastic pics up fibers from the cloth (static electricity I assume). I'll have to try another type of cloth for the bra areas.

Here is a pic:

Old 05-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 21 2005, 09:44 PM
I recently got my clear bra installed by the guy from transparentbra.com... did a great job (thanks EBMCS03). He used VentureShield instead of 3M. Took about 4 hours and he came to my house. I'm supposed to wax it after waiting about three weeks for all of the water to come out. It has a minimal effect on the color of the paint. It will be even more transparent after all that water comes out, I'm told.

Only complaint is that when I use my instant detail spray and microfiber cloth the plastic pics up fibers from the cloth (static electricity I assume). I'll have to try another type of cloth for the bra areas.

[snapback]131732[/snapback]
AWESOME! Yes you have to wait till the water dries... you watched how they installed it right? squeeged water out.

Ya the static electricity does pick up lint from dirty towles... but its not "that bad" I usually just wipe and then use my bare hands to kind of sweep any lint off the bra. Or blow at it.

anymore pics? I want to see some of your wheels... I'm going to dig and see if you have a gallery for your car.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='May 21 2005, 11:14 PM
anymore pics? I want to see some of your wheels... I'm going to dig and see if you have a gallery for your car.
[snapback]131742[/snapback]
Just posted one, check the general forum.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Members

Stupid question, but why not wrap the entire hood instead of just the front quarter? Then you wouldn't see an edge at all. Anybody here try that? Personally, I'd prefer to see just the paint and no plastic film at all, but as long as you're going part way, why not go all the way? Also, doesn't wax accumulate at the edge?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

If i could i would clearbra the entire car with the thickest film available.

It does offer some protection against dings, pebbles, etc.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by JamesV' date='Jul 20 2005, 10:47 AM
Stupid question, but why not wrap the entire hood instead of just the front quarter?? Then you wouldn't see an edge at all.? Anybody here try that?? Personally, I'd prefer to see just the paint and no plastic film at all, but as long as you're going part way, why not go all the way?? Also, doesn't wax accumulate at the edge?
[snapback]151191[/snapback]
Cuz its $$$$$$$$ VERY $$$$$$$$ I've seen it on a Le Mans Blue E39 M5... I might have some pics too but you cant see it every well. but its wrapped on the WHOLE hood...

And yes dirt and dust and wax do accumulate along the edges... but its easy enough to get off... just use a towel and use your fingers to dig along the edge and it all comes off and out.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Members

Got it. The prices I've seen for just the front end seem really expensive to me, so I figured as long as you're at it...

Also, I can't help but think of my grandmother's plastic wrapped furniture when I look at this stuff. Sure her sofa lasted 40 years, but it looked and felt like shit the whole time. I'm not saying the clear bra looks that bad, but it's sort of the same principal. As much as I hate bugs and chips, I think I might rather live with them than the plastic wrap thing. I may change my mind though once I take a closer look at them.

One other concern I'd have is what happens when you take it off after 5 or so years. Will the paint that wasn't protected by the bra look a little different, ie more swirls and little scratches, and maybe even different color?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Members

I think inevitably if you have the bra on for many years and take it off, there will be some difference in the appearance of the paint. The bra does let the UV rays through, so that should miminize the difference in color. Bottom line is choose one way to do it and stick with it. My last car had so many rock chips up front that it looked almost like the paint faded to white! The choice was easy for my...the bra looks great!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Members

Hello everyone...
I was recommended by one of your fellow members to your site. I hope you dont mind me "trolling" around.
I work for Accuguard.biz and we offer paint protection services. We are the exclusive Venture Shield material distributors in South Florida. For information of Venture Shield products, factory or for other dealers that use the VS product around the world go to invisiblepatterns.com. Unlike 3M or the few other film materials out there, we offer a LIFETIME warranty from cracking, yellowing or peeling and the Venture Shield material is UV stable as opposed to UV resistant...in other words if you take it off, the vehicle wont have a 2 tone faded color

I'm a big fanatic of the M5 for its performance and looks. Also glad to have done plenty of m3's and the new M5 <-- My chance to admire the car as i work on it

Here is a link with some useful info you may wanna check out also http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread...protection+film
or visit us at Accuguard.biz and / or factory direct Venture Shield at invisiblepatterns.com.

thanks and have a good day,
-J