Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

2700 Miles and 270000000 rust spots!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's just TAR !
Actually not possible to get rust on plastic parts.
Did you try a tar remover ??
Old 01-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Assuming that this is actually rust, doesn't BMW come with a rust/perforation warranty? However, I doubt that this is rust. Most of the body panels (bumper etc) are fibreglass. I don't think there are any pure Fe parts on the body.

As to the other 'disappointments' that you have with the car, you may want to to make sure that you have the latest S/W.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Try isopropyl alcohol. No, don't drink it. I had a situation with small particulates on my old Volvo wagon. I could barely remove them with a clay bar; it would have taken the rest of my life. Wiped right off with alcohol.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by darkside' post='221135' date='Jan 9 2006, 12:30 AM
Try isopropyl alcohol. No, don't drink it. I had a situation with small particulates on my old Volvo wagon. I could barely remove them with a clay bar; it would have taken the rest of my life. Wiped right off with alcohol.
i started reading looked at pictures and thought rust on plastic not possible .
i had a similar problem once and it turned out to be workmen using angle grinders spraying the car with iron sparks whilst i was parked .hell job to get off burnt into paint and then rust when wet. think about it wetre you near a site were workers usung grinders?maybe
Old 01-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

sjc550, I doubt that the dealer is going to do anything about this...it doesn't sound like a common problem such as rust. It is definitely sounds like paint or something that you picked up while driving. Do you drive or park by construction sites?
Sorry about the bad experience with your 550i....it sure is a nice car
Old 01-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

Without seeing it in person it's hard to diagnose, but I have a couple of theories, from a distance.

I think I'd need to know if the issue is "on" the paint, or "in" the paint. Since it's not rust (plastic doesn't rust), and you can wipe it off, I think it's "on" the paint. In which case, it's not the car's fault, it's where you park, drive, or:

1.) Might be whatever you are using to dress your tires, given the location, and the fact that from your pics it looks like your tires are very "wet" looking. What product are you or your carwash/detailer using? Many tire dressings "sling", or spatter onto the panels where you are having issues.

2.) Might be a brakedust issue- looks like the bad stuff (not the dust, but small mnetallic throw off). If that's what it is, you might have bad break pads. If your paint is damaged as a result of that, definitely might need a repaint- go to your dealer.

Could it be either of these?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Sport, Alpine White, Biege Interior, Steptronic, NAV, HUD, Ventilated Seats, Active Cruise, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic7, Sirius

Originally Posted by cattman' post='221164' date='Jan 8 2006, 07:18 PM
Without seeing it in person it's hard to diagnose, but I have a couple of theories, from a distance:

1.) Might be whatever you are using to dress your tires, given the location, and the fact that from your pics it looks like your tires are very "wet" looking. What product are you or your carwash/detailer using? Many tire dressings "sling", or spatter onto the panels where you are having issues.

2.) Might be a brakedust issue- looks like the bad stuff (not the dust, but small mnetallic throw off). If that's what it is, you might have bad break pads. If your paint is damaged as a result of that, definitely might need a repaint- go to your dealer.

Could it be either of these?

I dont think the sheet metal itself is actually rusting, this is something landing on the paint.
I was thinking a brake-dust issue myself. I will take it to the dealer this week.

I have not used anything on the tires. It just doesn't pay during the winter months here. The tires are actually wet in the picture.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

Yeah, that's my bet: bad break pads. That would explain the metallic flakes, where they are, and how hard they are to get off.
Be sure to let me know if I'm right.
If I am, you're due a new paint job.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Sport, Alpine White, Biege Interior, Steptronic, NAV, HUD, Ventilated Seats, Active Cruise, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic7, Sirius

Originally Posted by cattman' post='221177' date='Jan 8 2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah, that's my bet: bad break pads. That would explain the metallic flakes, where they are, and how hard they are to get off.
Do you think a new paint job is really an option? I am wondering if they could remove these with clay. Unless the paint is actually damaged. Would repainting this car hurt re-sale value. A new paint job combined with other problems i am experiencing has me pondering the lemon law...
Old 01-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by sjc550' post='221183
Do you think a new paint job is really an option? I am wondering if they could remove these with clay. Unless the paint is actually damaged. Would repainting this car hurt re-sale value. A new paint job combined with other problems i am experiencing has me pondering the lemon law...
[/quote]
It would be worth more repainted than the way it is. Claying, who knows? Why not go somewhere and find out what the problem is?

Quick Reply: 2700 Miles and 270000000 rust spots!!!!