Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

2700 Miles and 270000000 rust spots!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006 | 10:14 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

My guess is it's some form of contaminant that you ran over/into while driving. Don't think it's brake dust or rotor shavings--that wouldn't get all over the rear bumper. Given how much there appears to be on your car, I'd get 2 clay bars--use 1 for half the car, the other for the rest, and be sure to use plenty of lubricant. Be sure to wax afterwards.

As said by others, do not let the dealer get their hands on your paintwork, and I'd also stay away from high pressure car washes.
Old 01-09-2006 | 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Maybe the high-power car wash spit something out at the car?

(I'm just as stumped -- I don't think it's coming from the car...)
Old 01-09-2006 | 04:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 1973 porsche 911, 32,000 miles,with all S options and leather sport seats. 2004 porsche GT3,white track car, 2003 porsche boxter "my wife's" 2004 3/4 ton suburban tow vehicle, 24' pace trailer, 2006 BMW530XI, black, auburn, also "my wife's" about to buy a BMW 550I,silver gray,

I had the same thing on my white suburban last winter. rubbed my a-- off and it's still not all gone. It's a rusty color but not rust.
Old 01-10-2006 | 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Someone have sprayed some tar on your car!
You can't simply get those amounts of spots driving.

Plastic (front and rear bumpers) do not rust nor aluminiun, and that is what your cars hood and front fenders are made of.

Remove them carefully with a quality solvent, change the cloth often and then wash and wax it properly.
Old 01-12-2006 | 06:47 AM
Senior Members

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 01-12-2006 | 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

HUmm I guess they ^^^^^ only address certain issues...
Old 01-12-2006 | 07:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='223273' date='Jan 12 2006, 05:47 PM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

This is interesting!

Please sjc550, let us hear what happend after this...
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Sport, Alpine White, Biege Interior, Steptronic, NAV, HUD, Ventilated Seats, Active Cruise, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic7, Sirius

Picking the car up tonight. They were able to remove all of the spots using some kind of cleaner. I will find out what it is called.

Anyway they are pretty sure I drove through something. Had several people look at it and they all agreed. Question is what the hell was it? They thought asphalt sealant on a new road could be the cause or just plain tar but I have never seen orange tar!!!

They are building a tunnel underneath a road that I drive on at least twice a day. They have used what looks like angle iron to support the sides while they pour concrete. Could be this. I will drive a different route to work and see if this helps.

They are charging me $150.00 to remove all this crap and re-wax. Took them about three hours. I feel that this is fair. I have been very happy with the detailing department at Motorwerks BMW in Bloominton, MN.
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sjc550' post='223392' date='Jan 12 2006, 09:00 PM
They are building a tunnel underneath a road that I drive on at least twice a day. They have used what looks like angle iron to support the sides while they pour concrete. Could be this. I will drive a different route to work and see if this helps.

They are charging me $150.00 to remove all this crap and re-wax. Took them about three hours. I feel that this is fair. I have been very happy with the detailing department at Motorwerks BMW in Bloominton, MN.
€120 is a market price for a good cleaning with wax by the dealer.

It must have something to do with to tunnel construction.
Your car did looked sprayed!

There just might be a envious worker within the project that
spayed your fine and nice white E60.

I would contact the tunnel entrepreneur, but without good "MC Club"support,
you should contact your local police.
Old 01-12-2006 | 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Slurry seal is orange-brown. It is an emulsion of oil and water that is sprayed on roads then usually covered with stone chips. Although, I really doubt they would apply that in Iowa in the winter. More likely it was some jackass in a pick-up truck with an unsecured 5 gallon can of latex paint that tipped over and drained onto the road. I see that happen often out here. The cars in front of you raise a mist of the stuff and it gets all over your car.

Quick Reply: 2700 Miles and 270000000 rust spots!!!!