Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

US E60 prices must go up soon!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 01:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by jelski' post='498070' date='Nov 23 2007, 11:36 AM
the us is a cool country as long as your healthy and rich else i wouldnt change it over europe.
+1!!! We do pay a lot more taxes, but it comes back to us through a range of routes.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi Monaco Blue Dark Burl Walnut Black Leather Comfort Package Sports Package Cold Weather Package Nav Logic 7 18" Sport Wheels Xenon Interior and License Plate Light Upgrade

the us is a cool country as long as your healthy and rich else i wouldnt change it over europe.[/quote]

Actually, that statement is not valid...

Unfortunately, you benefit much more if you are poor and a minority...

I really want to stray away from a political discussion on a BMW board... It could turn ugly quick
Old 11-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='497993' date='Nov 22 2007, 11:33 PM
I guess you need to define success , the US economy needs to BUY things , and with the greenback hovering like the peso in world economic terms the mid to longterm does not look rosie..... You have an election coming soon ...... there are some huge macro issues the US needs to consider .... the short term view of the current "regime" is not playing the long game economically..... anyway what happenned to your race with the 550 guy ... this has been the longest foreplay to date
The other guy was a reluctant participant. I can't control his actions; I did try for you guys.
I guess your a Democrat; anyway its tough to have 20 year goals when your in office for four years. The system rewards short term benefits.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by RichReg' post='497963' date='Nov 22 2007, 10:01 PM
BMW themselves stated that they were only hedged up to the beginning of 2006...so their contracts have expired.
I really find it hard to believe that they would go out as far as 10 years because hedging itself is not exactly cheap.
Since it costs a helluva lot of money to control a helluva lot of money, there comes a point in time where its cost-effectiveness
is just not there anymore.

Also, our government doesn't have a clue. Devaluing our currency doesn't necessarily mean that more countries will buy our products.
The product itself has to be up to par. In fact much of Europe is quite nationalistic and I wouldn't expect anyone to buy something just because its cheaper. Fords & Chevrolets here in the U.S. happen to cost less, but you aren't driving one of those, are you?
BMW has hedging well into the future, the ten years was from 2004 but I'm sure they have extended it.
I guess you don't buy into the fact that we let immigrants into our country freely, so that we can pay them less and again compete better on price internationally...
Old 11-23-2007, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by FRANK970' post='498008' date='Nov 23 2007, 12:17 AM
Wow, I find your perspective on the value of the dollar and the macroeconomic issues that are creating its value very interesting. I guess that is why it is continuing to happen. We were fortunate enough to have a political system that forced our citizens to go through some tough times in the 90's, which now has resulted in a significant shift from growing deficits to growing surpluses. Of course the spike in oil and other commodity prices doesn't hurt either.
The late 80's had some significant changes to the tax codes which killed the commercial real estate market in the 90's, also interest rates were almost double what they are now.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Members

Here are the facts and not the american urban legends:

EUROPEAN sales in 2007 end of August accumulated 544277 cars
US sales in 2007 until October accumulated 275000 cars

Calculating an average of 50.000 cars per month in Europe that is 644000 against 275000 in US
As the population is comparable taking the "old" EU countries that is double sales or densitiy compared to US.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kearflex' post='498093' date='Nov 23 2007, 08:19 AM
the us is a cool country as long as your healthy and rich else i wouldnt change it over europe.

I really want to stray away from a political discussion on a BMW board... It could turn ugly quick
This can't get any more heated than the SMG vs. 6 speed or the 535 vs. 550 debates.

Of the modern industrialized countries, the US has more homeless than anywhere else- The US rewards work, effort, ingenuity and success but has little place nor compassion for those not willing to participate at all.

The next level up is the working poor, which generally are only in this category for a number of years until they gain to the next level up. This is why so many immigrants want to come here, there is a path to success for ANYBODY and EVERYBODY if you are willing to apply yourself.

Unlike many parts of the rest of the indusrialized world, including Europe, the US does not have a fixed class system. Here you get the full fruits of what you sow not a label of tainted success that never measures up to old money.
Infact here, old money has less standing because your great grandfather was the one that actually "made it" not you, and here there is more prestige to the guy that made it.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:04 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by kearflex' post='498093' date='Nov 23 2007, 02:19 PM

Maybe if you compare it to Africa or parts of South East Asia. Try compare it to Northern Europe and you'll be very very wrong.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by bernd22' post='498126' date='Nov 23 2007, 07:19 AM
Here are the facts and not the american urban legends:

EUROPEAN sales in 2007 end of August accumulated 544277 cars
US sales in 2007 until October accumulated 275000 cars

Calculating an average of 50.000 cars per month in Europe that is 644000 against 275000 in US
As the population is comparable taking the "old" EU countries that is double sales or densitiy compared to US.
Using sales to date up to October 2007 as the base you're looking at around 330,000 for the US on an annualized basis (you didn't annualize the US numbers).

The population of the legacy 15 EU countries is considerably higher than the US population at close to 400 million.

Your European sales number probably includes all of Europe, not just the legacy 15. If that's right, it also moves the appropriate population number for comparison purposes to over 700 million (more than double that of the US) and essentially cancels out the difference in sales density (it's actually lower than the US on this basis)

Keep in mind that two EU countries account for the lion's share of EU sales, the UK and Germany, which was essentially point of some earlier posts - as a single market, the US is the largest and probably one of the most competitive. EU pricing is certainly higher, but prices posted here typically include tax (VAT, plus other motor taxes) and US prices typically exclude tax. Not to say that this accounts for the difference in price, there's no question the US is lower, but posts here rarely enable an apples to apples comparison.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='497943' date='Nov 22 2007, 09:06 PM
We are purposely devaluing the dollars because it helps us become more competitive with our exports to other countries.
And just how much of those profits from cheaper exports are going back into the U.S.?

Quick Reply: US E60 prices must go up soon!