Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

SZL Module - Still Backordered?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgreenst08054' post='321139' date='Aug 10 2006, 11:03 AM
My 2006 530xi has been at my local dealer (DeSimone BMW) for exactly one week, so I called the dealer where I bought my 2004 Z4 (West German BMW in Pennsylvania) to see if they had any SZL modules. The service manager there told me that as of two days ago (8 August), the official procedure is to repair the existing SZL modules instead of replacing them entirely.

Apparently this repair is very simple and involves swapping out a part on the SZL module (plugged-not soldered). This eliminates need to reprogram the CID, so all user preferences are maintained. The manager told me that they got two repair kits today and should be getting quite a few tomorrow, so there is hope.

I also have a call in to BMW NA, but have not heard anything back from them or my local dealer. As I did not need a rental car, both the dealer and BMW NA said that they would credit my lease for the time the vehicle has been out of service.
Interesting, the dealer replaced mine and reprogrammed the CID last week, my car was ready in 2 days. I guess they have SZL modules on hand.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Mine was gone for exactly one week. The dealer mentioned that at one time, there were over 10,000 failures of the SZL module (he might have meant at one time?). Anyway, the part takes about a week to get in and then the fix is rather quick - plus I now have CIP 22 and my new Razr snap-in adapter
Old 08-11-2006, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='321342' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:13 PM
Mine was gone for exactly one week. The dealer mentioned that at one time, there were over 10,000 failures of the SZL module (he might have meant at one time?). Anyway, the part takes about a week to get in and then the fix is rather quick - plus I now have CIP 22 and my new Razr snap-in adapter
I read posts like this and get frustrated!! I've been waiting over 4 weeks for the part to come in.....and then I read here that some people are only waiting a week?? I'm not sure if I should be more upset with my dealer for not working harder to obtain the part or BMWNA for not making sure there were enough parts. Seems to me that parts for new car production should be diverted to take care of the customers that have already paid for their cars, and now can't fully enjoy them....

Sorry...had to vent.....I'm tired of the constant I-drive warnings, and I miss the way my car drove.....you know...for those first TWO months I had it!!

Psssssst.......anyone got an SZL module they wanna sell?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

Mine went into the shop on Friday, and I had it back the following Wed, so total of 4 business days. They said they had the parts shipped from Germany, and that they also replaced some parts in the module (the optical sensor), not the entire module.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='321466' date='Aug 11 2006, 08:21 AM
I read posts like this and get frustrated!! I've been waiting over 4 weeks for the part to come in.....and then I read here that some people are only waiting a week?? I'm not sure if I should be more upset with my dealer for not working harder to obtain the part or BMWNA for not making sure there were enough parts. Seems to me that parts for new car production should be diverted to take care of the customers that have already paid for their cars, and now can't fully enjoy them....

Sorry...had to vent.....I'm tired of the constant I-drive warnings, and I miss the way my car drove.....you know...for those first TWO months I had it!!

Psssssst.......anyone got an SZL module they wanna sell?
Wait... you are still driving it? That's a no no. Drop it off at the dealer, pick up a loaner and you will have your car back in a week. If they are "letting you drive it until the part comes in" then I assure you that they are taking care of the people who have loaners before the ones who are waiting patiently.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:04 AM
DBU
Contributors

Here is a link to the most recent information you may enjoy. The fix is simpler now and we now know which build range have the defective SZL optical elements.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Originally Posted by DBU' post='321872' date='Aug 12 2006, 12:04 PM
The fix is simpler now and we now know which build range have the defective SZL optical elements.
I wonder if it is simpler, or just cheaper? There seem to be a lot of things that a busy tech could do improperly. "The utmost cleanliness must be ensured", "touch nothing other the the optical element", "under no circumstances should the SZL be cleaned or wiped", "do not turn ring." I'm kind of glad I got a whole new unit, although I understand why BMW wouldn't want to eat the cost of this problem.