Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Sport Package-- Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Mar 13 2005, 07:50 PM
Could you put a word in with my wife?? ?
[snapback]101150[/snapback]
ask her if she knows why they called 530 and 545. before she even opens her mouth to answer, just tell her a 530 is $53.0k and 545 is $54.5k but a 545 is much faster and gets a lot more goodies .
Old 03-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Mar 12 2005, 10:14 AM
I'm about to purchase a 530i in the US and just read a Car & Driver review of the active steering feature which is standard on the sport package.? They trashed it.? I take everything I read with a grain of salt, however.? Any E60 owners who could comment on this feature, I would really appreciate it.? I would like other aspects of the sport package, such as the bigger wheels/tires and the active roll stabalization, but the steering sounds creepy from this one review I've read.?

Is there a way to get the active roll stabalization and wheels/tire upgrade without getting the active steering feature?

Recommendations????
[snapback]100534[/snapback]
I had the very same concern and was trying to do the very same thing, get active roll and the tire/wheel upgrade without the active steering.

My concern with active steering was switching between vehicles and getting all screwed up or having my wife get in the car and driving into a curb. I tested it and it did not seem like a big deal.

Aside from almost clipping the curb when I first drove out of the dealership, It has not been a problem. In fact the steering system is great - very responsive and I have not noticed any drift on the freeway like they wrote about.

My opinon is that the road & track guys live to drive a raw vehicle on a test track, which is not something most of us do. They do not want any automated systems. I am sure at somepoint, the DSC is going to save me some extensive bodywork. Granted, I would like to disable traction control without losing all of the DSC functions, but you can't have everything.

The mags almost steered me away from the e60. It kind of pisses me off as my 545i has been the best driving machine I have ever had and I have driven alot of vehicles on test tracks during my automotive employement days.

The active steering, active roll and overall performance is great. The Idrive is very usable and not a negative. When you hook up a bluetooth phone, you will find that having a computer screen in your car is worth it.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 14 2005, 10:45 AM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Mar 12 2005, 10:14 AM']I'm about to purchase a 530i in the US and just read a Car & Driver review of the active steering feature which is standard on the sport package.?? They trashed it.?? I take everything I read with a grain of salt, however.?? Any E60 owners who could comment on this feature, I would really appreciate it.?? I would like other aspects of the sport package, such as the bigger wheels/tires and the active roll stabalization, but the steering sounds creepy from this one review I've read.??

Is there a way to get the active roll stabalization and wheels/tire upgrade without getting the active steering feature?

Recommendations????
[snapback]100534[/snapback]
I had the very same concern and was trying to do the very same thing, get active roll and the tire/wheel upgrade without the active steering.

My concern with active steering was switching between vehicles and getting all screwed up or having my wife get in the car and driving into a curb. I tested it and it did not seem like a big deal.

Aside from almost clipping the curb when I first drove out of the dealership, It has not been a problem. In fact the steering system is great - very responsive and I have not noticed any drift on the freeway like they wrote about.

My opinon is that the road & track guys live to drive a raw vehicle on a test track, which is not something most of us do. They do not want any automated systems. I am sure at somepoint, the DSC is going to save me some extensive bodywork. Granted, I would like to disable traction control without losing all of the DSC functions, but you can't have everything.

The mags almost steered me away from the e60. It kind of pisses me off as my 545i has been the best driving machine I have ever had and I have driven alot of vehicles on test tracks during my automotive employement days.

The active steering, active roll and overall performance is great. The Idrive is very usable and not a negative. When you hook up a bluetooth phone, you will find that having a computer screen in your car is worth it.
[snapback]101353[/snapback]
[/quote]

You know, the "my wife running into the curb" scenario is an important factor. We've scrapped the rims on all our cars (even our Sequoia.) Maybe I'm better off with the standard wheels and tires after all. I hope everyone is enjoying the information about my household. Curb feelers anyone??
Old 03-21-2005, 09:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

An update on my progress...

I've decided to go with the '06 530. The extra horsepower / torque gives it enough umph in my opinion. What BMW did with weight control of the car, the 6 spd transmission and the handling make it perform even better than you would expect for a 255hp car.

I've decided against the sport package. The main advantages that I can see are the shadow line trim and ARS, however I actually don't want the wheel upgrade. We trash our rims. Also, I've had two dealers tell me that the tires wear out every 15k miles with the sport pckg and I'm not into the addt'l maintenance.

The net cost of the '06s over the '05s is minimal-- with xenons and satellite prep include in both, the price tag is only $200 more. The dealer is charging $1500 over deal cost for the '06 vs. $500 over for the '05. So the total differential is $1,200.

I'm a little nervous about reliability for the new engine, but I plan to address that by leasing and buying from the closest dealer to have the relationship.

We're going with orient blue with black interior, premium pckg, premium audio and satellite. Order goes in this weekend assuming we can close on the lease rates. Rippin'.