Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Sports Package or No Sports Package?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to lease the 545 in the next few months and have decided on just about everything except the sports package...I just test drove the 545 with sports and was generally impressed (I had already test driven the 545 without sport package) but I was somewhat concerned with the ride quality...somewhat jittery, possibly secondary to the sports suspension vs. the run flat tires...furthermore, I live in New Jersey and will be driving to NYC and in snow....I already know that no matter what, snow tires are mandatory...but I am concerned about ride quality for most of the year on the run flats...I really want the active steering and roll stabilization...is it worth the sacrifice? I guess what I am really asking is:

1. Is the ride quality secondary to the run flats vs. sport suspension or both?

2. Is the sacrifice worth it for the active steering and roll stabilization?

3. Moreover, if I get the sports package, am I at considerable risk for tire/suspension damage as warned in the BMW ads themselves by driving on potholed NYC/NJ roads?

4. Still moreover, and somewhat off post, should I be at all thinking about an X5 living in New Jersey with the current winter of frequent snow? I do of course want a sedan much more than an SUV for too many reasons to enumerate, but I am concerned about getting around in the snow...so many people here have 4 or AWD...

Any and all advice would be appreciated greatly.
Thanks!
Old 03-08-2004, 05:55 AM
sj3
Senior Members

Steven: I've been here in NJ (near US46 and I280/I287) for two winters now. A SUV was NOT required. My 2000 540iA, non-sport, with its Traction Control handled like a champ, no matter what I threw at it. My baby even took a drive to Syracuse, NY during something of a snowstorm, and all was well. Needless to say, I have been very impressed. I'm running something like the original Michelin Pilots that came with the car. I can't see any why my upcoming 545iA, non-sport, shouldn't be able to perform equally as well.

As for sport vs non-sport, I drove a '97 328is, with Sport, for 2.5 years. I wasn't happy with how low it sat, although the ride, at the time, seemed fine. Moving to the 2000, non-sport, the ride difference in smoothness was marked, i.e. much smoother on the 2000 and didn't scrape anything going in to partking spaces. Personally, and this is personal opinion only, I would get non-sport if I were in your shoes. Those run-flats are expensive and we really don't have the best roads around here, do we?. The thing that sport would give you, I think, from all the reading I've done, is the ability to turn sharply at high speeds and feel very little, if any, lean. I hope this helps a bit. If you don't mind replacing the run-flats, sport might be fun for you, but if money's limited at all, well, your decision. Good luck.

Sam
Old 03-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

This topic came up recently. Check out the link below.

http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/forums/index.php?...=sports+package
Old 03-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

I think the ride in the non-sport is smoother. Depends what you are looking for more performance inevitably reduces the ride quality. Making it harder, but some like that.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I disagree. I test drove them both. Sport wasn't a harder ride at all. It was stiffer suspension with less roll around corners, which is good. I hate sliding across a seat when going around a corner. Sport also comes with Active Roll Stabilization(ARS), Active Steering with Servotronic power assist, better and larger standard wheels/rims, and the shadowline trim (not the chromed trim). All in all, sport is the way to go IMO.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Members

sport package!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Members

sport man!!
Old 03-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Members

sport package is the way to go!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Members

You guys are scaring me.
I just ordered my 530i with no sports package but with the Dynamic package which includes Active Steering and Dynamic drive which I belive also has the ARS in it. Thats one of the top feature i wanted this car for. Also to get this package i did not have to pick the sports package which only includes Compact Spare Tire Delete, Sport Suspension, Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Shadow Line, 18'' Star Spoke Alloy Wheels - Style 123. Along with Dynamic Package i also added the premium package which includes Auto Dimming Mirror, Ext., Auto Dimming Mirror, Int., Through Load with Ski Bag, Heated Seats Rear, Park Distance Control, Includes visual display., Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 Sound System and the Navigation Package which includes BMW On-Board Navigation, Voice Control, Canada-US Navigation DVD. Along with those, i also got the ventilated comfort seats and adaptive headlights. So i really dont think you need the sports package for ARS. Unless im wrong, i would have to change my order instantly before march 15 which is the final date to change my decision. BTW, I am purchasing this bmw in canada so the options in different countries may vary.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, StevenFW !

Quick Reply: Sports Package or No Sports Package?