Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Sport Package-- Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

And ignore the posts about premature tire wear and road noise. BMW is aware of this issue with Dunlop RFs and on a case by case basis either subsidize or fully replace these tires. I am sure the the newer cars no longer have these. Even the press reviewed the new 3 series with RFs and had all kinds of positive comments to make.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I have a non sport 545i (I just preferred the softer ride) but do have AS, love it, and will definitely get it again. I had a loaner X3 this week when the E60 was in at the dealer and the thing I missed most about not having my 5 for a couple of days (apart from the ridiculous thrust of course.....) was actually the steering, noticable as soon as I drove off the dealer's lot. AS seems to be something that polarizes opinion - I guess you love it or you don't and for equally valid reasons - but try both and see what you think. For me I'm firmly in the former camp.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Just get it and don't listen to the Magazine guys who only get 5 minutes to get used to a car. Drive it for yourself (take a LONG test drive) and you'll see.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

Sport package is a must! Not only does it drive better, it looks better!
Old 03-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Must get it. I have lost a lot of repect for the writers of some of these car magazines. Its a bit hacky to condem idrive, runflats, active steering, active suspension and SMG because they are different. The writers appear to need to find fault without discussing virtues.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

Get the sports package. Much, much better handling, and the active steering's been improved. I just got the 15.2 update, and they took a lot of the twitchiness out of the steering at low speeds. It is much improved now - you can drive the car to the limit and it feels much better.

If you really like to drive, you have to get the Sports Package!
Old 03-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Sport package is a must. And I like active steering a lot.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Mar 12 2005, 01:14 PM
I'm about to purchase a 530i in the US and just read a Car & Driver review of the active steering feature which is standard on the sport package.? They trashed it.? I take everything I read with a grain of salt, however.? Any E60 owners who could comment on this feature, I would really appreciate it.? I would like other aspects of the sport package, such as the bigger wheels/tires and the active roll stabalization, but the steering sounds creepy from this one review I've read.?

Is there a way to get the active roll stabalization and wheels/tire upgrade without getting the active steering feature?

Recommendations????
[snapback]100534[/snapback]
Try it both ways and decide for yourself... but here is my take...

Sport package gives you
Sports seats
Active roll stabilization
Active steering
Shadowline trim

I prefer comfort seats - they are the best (much better than sport)/ You can fold the back in th middle and you can adjust the bolsters - sport seats don't do that. So if you pay for comfort seats - you are wasting maney in the sport packege paying for sports seats.

Active roll stabilization - not bad. The car rolls less in the turns - more comfortable for the passangers but very treaky for the driver. The car doesn't communicate very well when it reaches the limit in the turns it jsut loads, loads and snaps. I drive on the tracks a lot (40+ events a year. not 545 and my other cars are e46 M3 and e39 M5 that don't have the feature - they are much more predictable and communicate buitifully. I drove 545 withpout sport rcently and liked the suspension more.

Active steering - again idea is Ok , but the execution is questionable. Software that controlls it has to be reworked. I wish it was a switchable option. My wifr likes i since he doesn't break her nails parking now - no need to turn the wheel so hard
Now for drawbacks
It has no feel in the center, it doesbn't load progressively in the turns - so again no communication to the driver. It is also not linear in the execution. If you go into a turn at 100+ and break hard (or trail break) to make 30 mph corner the wheel ratio will change on you mid corner and will upset the car - not cool. Car also countersteers for you - very freaky. Cross winds make the car wander all over the road since AS tries to compensate. If you are on the very wet road or very slick surface (snow - read my other posts) - AS is way to overboosted to prpelrly slide the car.( you tend to overcorrect all the time). I got used to it after 5 months.. but sometimes it still surprises me (oh and it breaks occationally - then you have the beauitiful BMW rack and opinion steering

Shadow line trim - love that. Hate the chrome. But it's not worth 3300 dollars

To me it- not a sport package - it's a gizmo package - and the car already has enogh of those. If it's sport how come M5 won't have any of the above features?

So if I had to do it again - it will be 550 with no sport package.

As for your 530 choice - is it 06 or 05? If 06 - you'll get better engine but probably will pay more in lease. Car is heavy and more limo like (vs e39) so it needs torque. Look into 05 545 - great delas on them now since 550 is out in September. Plus march residuals are huge if you lease.. My brother in law just got 750 a mont for a loaded 545 (see link)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89893
Old 03-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535d sport saloon M57 Titanium silver nav-pro, bluetooth, media pack, de-chromed, eletric sun roof, auto dim int, folding ext mirrors, auto dim int mirror, sport seats, alum cube interior trim, headlamp washers, bi Xenon, M-sport suspention, M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M styling wheels, Black leather, Anthacite heading

Originally Posted by Ilyam5' date='Mar 12 2005, 06:09 PM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Mar 12 2005, 01:14 PM']I'm about to purchase a 530i in the US and just read a Car & Driver review of the active steering feature which is standard on the sport package.?? They trashed it.?? I take everything I read with a grain of salt, however.?? Any E60 owners who could comment on this feature, I would really appreciate it.?? I would like other aspects of the sport package, such as the bigger wheels/tires and the active roll stabalization, but the steering sounds creepy from this one review I've read.??

Is there a way to get the active roll stabalization and wheels/tire upgrade without getting the active steering feature?

Recommendations????
[snapback]100534[/snapback]
Try it both ways and decide for yourself... but here is my take...

Sport package gives you
Sports seats
Active roll stabilization
Active steering
Shadowline trim

I prefer comfort seats - they are the best (much better than sport)/ You can fold the back in th middle and you can adjust the bolsters - sport seats don't do that. So if you pay for comfort seats - you are wasting maney in the sport packege paying for sports seats.

Active roll stabilization - not bad. The car rolls less in the turns - more comfortable for the passangers but very treaky for the driver. The car doesn't communicate very well when it reaches the limit in the turns it jsut loads, loads and snaps. I drive on the tracks a lot (40+ events a year. not 545 and my other cars are e46 M3 and e39 M5 that don't have the feature - they are much more predictable and communicate buitifully. I drove 545 withpout sport rcently and liked the suspension more.

Active steering - again idea is Ok , but the execution is questionable. Software that controlls it has to be reworked. I wish it was a switchable option. My wifr likes i since he doesn't break her nails parking now - no need to turn the wheel so hard
Now for drawbacks
It has no feel in the center, it doesbn't load progressively in the turns - so again no communication to the driver. It is also not linear in the execution. If you go into a turn at 100+ and break hard (or trail break) to make 30 mph corner the wheel ratio will change on you mid corner and will upset the car - not cool. Car also countersteers for you - very freaky. Cross winds make the car wander all over the road since AS tries to compensate. If you are on the very wet road or very slick surface (snow - read my other posts) - AS is way to overboosted to prpelrly slide the car.( you tend to overcorrect all the time). I got used to it after 5 months.. but sometimes it still surprises me (oh and it breaks occationally - then you have the beauitiful BMW rack and opinion steering

Shadow line trim - love that. Hate the chrome. But it's not worth 3300 dollars

To me it- not a sport package - it's a gizmo package - and the car already has enogh of those. If it's sport how come M5 won't have any of the above features?

So if I had to do it again - it will be 550 with no sport package.

As for your 530 choice - is it 06 or 05? If 06 - you'll get better engine but probably will pay more in lease. Car is heavy and more limo like (vs e39) so it needs torque. Look into 05 545 - great delas on them now since 550 is out in September. Plus march residuals are huge if you lease.. My brother in law just got 750 a mont for a loaded 545 (see link)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89893
[snapback]100630[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am about to perchase a 535d With M5 styling have you got any comments
Old 03-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, zinme !

Quick Reply: Sport Package-- Worth it?