Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

So I almost picked up my e60 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tried to BS too much. I got through all of the paper work except for the actual contract. Right before my contract he mentioned the extended maintenance program (i was trying to buy a 06 cpo).

Here is what he told me in the beginning:
1. If I do any of my maint. outside of a bmw dealership my warranty is automatically voided.
2. I need to purchase it the same day I sign my contract, in his words ( its like a chain, they go hand in hand)

Since I wasn't going to pick up the car till friday anyways, I said forget it and let me think about the maint. program before I sign any other program. At this point he knew he effed up and was trying to save himself. He went to get my sales guy and started changing his story.

New story:
1. I can get the service done outside of bmw as long as they are certified (he never once mentioned anything about certified techs)
2. All of a sudden he said ok just sign the paper and he will give me 24 hours to make my decision. I declined and then he said 1 week. I still declined.

The inconsistency of this guy really made me question who I can believe. My sales guy is awesome, but will he back me up in the future if they try and screw me out of a warranty job? I don't know. I gave him a scenario based on what the finance guy said....what if my car breaks down in the middle of no where and I needed to get it fixed and the only shop available was not a bmw dealership, than my warranty will get voided, which will make no sense in buying the car CPO.

The car has 35K on the clock. The free maint is over in 6 months. The next oil change service is in 8K miles, I highly doubt that I will have driven that many miles in 6 months (I average about 10K miles a year). The CPO is over in 12/2011.

Can somebody clear this up for me? Can I use an outside tech w/o voiding the warranty? Also what other maintenance will come up within 24K miles?

I was real disappointed when I left, I was at the dealership for 4 hours and left with nothing......
Old 06-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Find another dealer. Post your location and I am sure someone on this board knows of a good, honest dealer in your area.

I bought my car from Monrovia BMW but I didn't like their sales and service people (and I didn't let them give me any BS about warranties - BTW it is illegal in the US for them to void the warranty if you happen to have non-certified people do the maint. of you car, such as doing it yourself like I do)

For service that requires a dealer (i.e. Software upgrades) I use McKenna BMW - would'ev bought my car there but the sales guy didn't call me back until I was already signing the contract on my car at Monrovia.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='900664' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:19 AM
Find another dealer. Post your location and I am sure someone on this board knows of a good, honest dealer in your area.

I bought my car from Monrovia BMW but I didn't like their sales and service people (and I didn't let them give me any BS about warranties - BTW it is illegal in the US for them to void the warranty if you happen to have non-certified people do the maint. of you car, such as doing it yourself like I do)

For service that requires a dealer (i.e. Software upgrades) I use McKenna BMW - would'ev bought my car there but the sales guy didn't call me back until I was already signing the contract on my car at Monrovia.
Thanks for the feedback. I am in SoCal as well. Actually my sales guy is great, I was pretty excited and ready to sign for my first 5 series, but I had a feeling the finance guy was bsing me, but b/c I was unsure, I wanted to be sure before I signed.

So just to be clear, they can not void my warranty just b/c I do my own maint or bring it to an outside shop (even non bmw certified tech)?

What are the next services that will be coming up? B/c if I decide to go with the deal, I will most likely be out of the free maint period so I would like to know how much money we're talking about.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='900674' date='Jun 4 2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I am in SoCal as well. Actually my sales guy is great, I was pretty excited and ready to sign for my first 5 series, but I had a feeling the finance guy was bsing me, but b/c I was unsure, I wanted to be sure before I signed.

So just to be clear, they can not void my warranty just b/c I do my own maint or bring it to an outside shop (even non bmw certified tech)?

What are the next services that will be coming up? B/c if I decide to go with the deal, I will most likely be out of the free maint period so I would like to know how much money we're talking about.
I ve never bought CPO's so I do not know if getting maintenance outside of the BMW dealership avoids the warranty. However I did not have problem with my dealership when I tried to do the mid-interval oil changes on both of my new BMWs. I even picked up 16 bottles of BMW oil from the dealerpship parts department.

I suggest you call other BMW dealerships or contact BMW NA and ask them questions about this CPO warranty and maintenance.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry900673
Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 AM
Contributors

No, you cannot void your warranty simply by doing it yourself, stick to the schedule and you will be fine.

I am also out of the maint. warranty - just did an oil change myself (Castrol Syntec - same as BMW and a Mahle filter) cost around $75. Dealer oil change? About $280

Check out the DIY threads for all your maint. needs, the guys on here are really helpful with detailed pics. For checking the service interval - it is detailed in your iDrive so you will be kept informed.

My next scheduled maint is a brake fluid change and I have already ordered the bleeder kit and fluid from BavAuto

[/quote]
Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='900687' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:41 AM

No, you cannot void your warranty simply by doing it yourself, stick to the schedule and you will be fine.

I am also out of the maint. warranty - just did an oil change myself (Castrol Syntec - same as BMW and a Mahle filter) cost around $75. Dealer oil change? About $280

Check out the DIY threads for all your maint. needs, the guys on here are really helpful with detailed pics. For checking the service interval - it is detailed in your iDrive so you will be kept informed.

My next scheduled maint is a brake fluid change and I have already ordered the bleeder kit and fluid from BavAuto
I feel pretty comfortable about diy oil changes (matter of fact i prefer it) Did you buy CPO as well? The extended warranty for this car is up in 2 years, I hope I won't have any breakdowns after that....
Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='900705' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:53 AM
I feel pretty comfortable about diy oil changes (matter of fact i prefer it) Did you buy CPO as well? The extended warranty for this car is up in 2 years, I hope I won't have any breakdowns after that....

Yes, I bought CPO, I still have about 2 years on my extended warranty (6 years/100K come included with CPO). Like you I really hope nothing major goes wrong. The good news though? By the time it's paid off the 2011 F10 will be available an I will just trade up
Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='900707' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:56 AM
Yes, I bought CPO, I still have about 2 years on my extended warranty (6 years/100K come included with CPO). Like you I really hope nothing major goes wrong. The good news though? By the time it's paid off the 2011 F10 will be available an I will just trade up

Thats sounds good I hope you don't run into any issues either. I won't have the luxury of trading up for a LONG time (i've played with too many cars within the past couple of years) so I want to drive this one for atleast another 4 or 5 years.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Check the link also that Xman posted about the extended program that you can buy