Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

smg transmission fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by mp0i' date='Jun 4 2005, 07:29 AM
I don't think the dealer is showing the same level of TLC that I give it at home!? To him it's just a car, to me it's my fiver!
[snapback]136132[/snapback]

Ya thats why I dont like taking my cars to the dealers... Hope you get it back Monday all fixed up.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:46 PM
Members

update:

i brought the car into the dealer to be looked at. i know the drill, if they cant "duplicate" the problem, it wont go any further. so they couldnt duplicate the problem and i just went back to pick up the car.

what i dont understand is that if the smg kicks out a fault, how is that not stored somewhere in the computer so at least they see that something happened.

in any event the advisor said that they are gonna refer it to teh bmwna field guy.

my opinion is that they should haev updated the software to see if that would have corrected it.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Members

i wanna get this thread going again.

last night (thnaksgiving) i was driving to go pick up my grandmother and it did it again but it was worse. the message re:smg trans fault only n, 1 and 3 available came on while i was ON the highway. what made it worse was that i was ON the highway at the time.

in any event has anyone had a successful fix for this? did the software update work without problems?

you know this car is unreal with the electronic stuff. on occasion, my radio wont shut off and the windows go up and down and up and down and up and down when all i wanna do is close it.

i cant be the only one with these problems.

and next time that smg happens im gonna take a picture to show the service people so just MAYBE they wont say "cant duplicate problem".
Old 11-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i SMG, Sport package, Premium package, L7, Xenon Headlamps, Window Shades, Rear red reflectors

With regards to my problems last June 2005, I have not any any SMG problems since they did the software upgrade. As far as I know it was only a software issue. Hope that helps.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by mp0i' post='203319' date='Nov 25 2005, 01:13 PM
With regards to my problems last June 2005, I have not any any SMG problems since they did the software upgrade. As far as I know it was only a software issue. Hope that helps.

I have the smg, never seen that problem occur - has the dealer tried to re-install the smg software? That shoud work, it doesn't sound like a tranny issue -let us know what bmw na says
Old 11-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

My first such fault happened on the way to Thanksgiving dinner last year!!! What a coincidence.
They never found a problem and it never showed up in the error memory of the car.
I had it two more times after that. I did a software upgrade (actually 3 in the last year...) and somewhere in there, it went away. I am on 18.whatever now. What do you have?

However, nothing cures the rough, vey jerky downshifts I have and the fact that my SMG sometimes "misses a shift".

Oh, and I took a picture with my cell phone of the error, didn't make a damn difference, I had the feeling that they still didn't believe me............
Old 11-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

my smg showed same message and stalled on hwy,14 days later i got it back with new transmission.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Members

ok....

what dealer did u goto? the problem with car dealers is that you really have to get a combination of the rigth tech and service advisor to make this thing work. i have whatever software came with the car when i picked it up in nov 2004.

i just dont wanna waste any time with that "cant duplicate" non-sense. its like i have nothign better to do than drive the car in to a dealer. my biggest gripe is that the dealer i went to had no knowledge of such a problem, i just dont belive that.........and also what is the "black box" for is it doesnt record a trans failure???

im in queens and im willing to goto any dealer in the5 boros or Nassau....

thanks.

Originally Posted by alexnyc' post='203449' date='Nov 25 2005, 10:31 PM
my smg showed same message and stalled on hwy,14 days later i got it back with new transmission.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I am not sure if this error is even real (i.e., if there is a real mechnical problem). I think its just a software glitch.
Did you change through the gears really fast (pull the lever really fast). I believe thats waht caused the problem with my car initially (I was playing...).
Old 11-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

i went to Life Quality BMW-where i got the car from

Quick Reply: smg transmission fault