Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

smg transmission fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:52 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by evperry' date='May 26 2005, 04:29 PM
and bmw is very good for "cant duplicate problem".? one time my rear diff failed on another BMW i owned and the tech told me he couldnt hear the problem....it was as loud a jet flying overhead.
[snapback]133535[/snapback]
That was the same experience I had with a noisy AC that was eventually replaced by BMW under warranty. Note on the invoice said he couldn't hear the problem. I promptly collared the tech, raised the hood with the engine running and he nor the SA had a problem hearing. The noise was so loud until it was embarrassing. I can understand techs who are behind the curve on BMW technology, but something as simple as hearing a noise that needs diagnosing is downright aggravating to a customer. Yet, they beg for a 5 rating when BMW calls.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

from what I have read in this tread this is the same issue I delt with, but lucky for me the fault happened on my SA the 2nd time BMW was returning the car to me. BMW could never figure out the problem and eventually bought my car back. last month, my car was still at the dealer with no new info.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Members

My goodness, BMW of NA actually called me and the lady said that she is gonna contact the dealer and try and get this corrected. I am SHOCKED.

Funny thing is that i was losing all faith in this company and was preparing to end my car buying with them after the 545 but now im feeling like they are trying to reach out. This is my 3rd one. The x5 was problem free but my M3 was a nigthmare and i was hoping the 545 was gonna be good.

Its looking good.

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' date='May 27 2005, 07:19 AM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
[snapback]133697[/snapback]
Old 06-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i SMG, Sport package, Premium package, L7, Xenon Headlamps, Window Shades, Rear red reflectors

Well I guess I can add my 2005 530 i to the list of those with SMG transmission fault problems. When I started it up this morning I got both the "Service Engine Soon" light along with the SMG "Transmission Fault" light indicating only gears R, and 1-3 available. I limped into the dealer and dropped it off this morning. It was a real pisser driving on the southern California freeway system and only going 60-65 MPH (4000 RPM in 3rd gear). Anyway I'll be interested to see what they come up with.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Members

well unfortunately they were suppose to call me to set up an appt but i have not heard from anyone yet.

let me know what happens with yours.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i SMG, Sport package, Premium package, L7, Xenon Headlamps, Window Shades, Rear red reflectors

Originally Posted by evperry' date='Jun 2 2005, 12:23 PM
well unfortunately they were suppose to call me to set up an appt but i have not heard from anyone yet.

[snapback]135536[/snapback]
Well, I didn't get my car back today. I was told by the service advisor that they needed technical assistance from BMW (whatever that means). They sent me to Enterprise to get a loaner and it's not even a BMW. I guess it's better than walking. Somehow a Dodge Pick Up truck is not the same as my 530. Hopefully they will have some more information tomorrow. Day 1 and counting. I'll keep you informed.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by mp0i' date='Jun 2 2005, 07:15 PM
[quote name='evperry' date='Jun 2 2005, 12:23 PM']well unfortunately they were suppose to call me to set up an appt but i have not heard from anyone yet.

Well, I didn't get my car back today. I was told by the service advisor that they needed technical assistance from BMW (whatever that means). They sent me to Enterprise to get a loaner and it's not even a BMW. I guess it's better than walking. Somehow a Dodge Pick Up truck is not the same as my 530. Hopefully they will have some more information tomorrow. Day 1 and counting. I'll keep you informed.
[snapback]135698[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yikes sorry to hear... How many miles do you have so far?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by mp0i' date='Jun 2 2005, 09:15 PM
[quote name='evperry' date='Jun 2 2005, 12:23 PM']well unfortunately they were suppose to call me to set up an appt but i have not heard from anyone yet.

[/quote]
Means they opened a PuMa case, their internal BMW network to get expert help / advise on trouble shooting procedures. I have seen their responses on one issue of mine and while it was technically accurate it was for the wrong model BMW.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Contributors

[Well, I didn't get my car back today. I was told by the service advisor that they needed technical assistance from BMW (whatever that means). They sent me to Enterprise to get a loaner and it's not even a BMW. I guess it's better than walking. Somehow a Dodge Pick Up truck is not the same as my 530. Hopefully they will have some more information tomorrow. Day 1 and counting. I'll keep you informed.
[/quote]
Means they opened a PuMa case, their internal BMW network to get expert help / advise on trouble shooting procedures. I have seen their responses on one issue of mine and while it was technically accurate it was for the wrong model BMW.
[snapback]135761[/snapback]
[/quote]
(Mp0i SMG Problem Days 2 through 4) I went to the dealer yesterday after they had the car for a day and found out they are updating the software to CIP 17.1 or 17.2 or whatever the latest version that they have. Then they will take a look at the transmission fault code. I guess the first step in any type of troubleshooting is to update the software to see if that "cures" the problem. No additional information was provided. The servisor advisor said he would call me Monday to give me a status report. At least they gave me an BMW X3 to drive over the weekend. No more Dodge truck loaners from Enterprise. Will keep you posted Monday (6/6/05) if I found out anything else. Now that I haven't had my Fiver for the last couple of days I really miss it. I don't think the dealer is showing the same level of TLC that I give it at home! To him it's just a car, to me it's my fiver!

Quick Reply: smg transmission fault