Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

SERIOUS RECALL ON 545i

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, last post was me...
Old 07-16-2004, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

As of this morning in TIS, it is now a Recall for the US market. So expect the standard NHTSA info on their website and mandatory recall letters.

A copy of the letter is attached.

FOLKS: Heed my earlier warning... Take the info here with a grain of salt until you CONFIRM with your dealer if your car is affected. If it is, DON'T drive it unless you are willing to deal with a loss of power.

also, people with cars at US VPC's, assume that if your car is in the VIN numbers with this issue that delivery of your car WILL be delayed. Cars already delivered have priority for new DME's. Bear in mind that DME's are generally build to order - Since there isn't a hugh surplus of DME's to cover this issue expect a week best case for a new DME (already delivered cars) or upto three weeks (for cars not yet delivered).. better safe than sorry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
B120404CustomerLetter_1_.pdf (24.8 KB, 418 views)
Old 07-16-2004, 10:57 AM
New E60 Owner

NickP,

My car is currently built but not shipped. From what I understand, the car will be shipped and the DME changed here (should be about the same time the DME arrives here in the US). Would that be your understanding also, or will they hold my car and replace the DME before shipping in Germany?

The reason I ask is that my car has been on the "Awaiting Transportation" status for almost 2 weeks now. I thought it usually is on the boat after being built within a week??
Old 07-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Members

THREE WEEKS!!!! That's the length of time I was told by my dealer today that my 545i (which I have only had for TWO weeks) will be SITTING at the dealership because BMW is shipping the repair parts to their German dealers BEFORE they send them to their US dealerships. I would love to know what percentage of BMW's profits in just the 545i is from North America - of course it doesn't seem to matter to them at this point - I have been relagated to second class customer status by BMWAG
Old 07-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 545i2b' date='Jul 16 2004, 09:58 PM
THREE WEEKS!!!! That's the length of time I was told by my dealer today that my 545i (which I have only had for TWO weeks) will be SITTING at the dealership because BMW is shipping the repair parts to their German dealers BEFORE they send them to their US dealerships. I would love to know what percentage of BMW's profits in just the 545i is from North America - of course it doesn't seem to matter to them at this point - I have been relagated to second class customer status by BMWAG
You're not second class...
It just takes longer to pack the DME's up and send them to the US. Remember, it's a German car, so it takes less time and effort to provide German dealers with the replacement DME's.
It's not that you are a second class customer...
Old 07-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

depressed depressed depressed

my car went into the dealer on monday and he told me today that i won't have my car for the weekend. i even went up to the dealer tonight to see if i could see my car. there it was locked up behind bars. just had it two week, now without it for one week.

does anyone have any idea how long it will take to get dme's shipped to the uk??
jonboy
Old 07-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

North American customers... Expect BMW NA to pay for:

- Replacement transportation (if the car has a service loaner program it will be one of those -- sorry most are 3 Series)
- Refuel fully the car (yes BMW NA pays for this if the dealer does it)... no excuse for them not to do it.
- Wash the car (either in house or out of house, BMW NA pays the dealer for this)

Tell the dealer "I expect my car back as soon as my DME for MY VIN comes in, and I want my car washed and fueled... Come on, BMW pays for it"... =
Old 07-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545i2b' date='Jul 16 2004, 01:58 PM
As Iceman says... We're not 2nd class... Getting the DME's is problem #1.. Shipping them even though it sounds like "Drop it off at FedEx" is problem #2 and a logistics nightmare for the number of units. BMW is being cautious to set the right expectation... not we will have the DME's flown in tomorrow only to get dissapointed.

Trust me, post 9/11, getting any quantity of urgent components into the US via large air freight or even standard FedEx/UPS always yields Customs inbound delays which never used to occur. Expect by the end of the coming week for some parts to be filtering in.

Three weeks SPOT on is what "I" predict for cars that will enter VPC. If the car is built and newer and not in the VIN range then expect that you do NOT have this date code DME and do not have an issue. I can assume though that some cars at VPC and likely some in shipping will have this issue. 3 Weeks from today MAX should cover all DME replacements. Remember; customers with cars get first priority on new DME's.. So you won't see the VPC's hogging them until all field cars are repaired.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

Three weeks is a long period of time. Hopefully this was quoted as a conservative time estimate. It shouldn't take that long to build and ship 2000 ECUs. If I haven't taken delivery yet can I still go get a loaner ?
Old 07-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gmartin' date='Jul 16 2004, 07:31 PM
Three weeks is a long period of time. Hopefully this was quoted as a conservative time estimate. It shouldn't take that long to build and ship 2000 ECUs. If I haven't taken delivery yet can I still go get a loaner ?
When were you told you would get your car?

Quick Reply: SERIOUS RECALL ON 545i