Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Run Flat Mess

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 06:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 13 2005, 11:30 PM
If you look at my tires they look new.? post on this forum alerted me and I have been listening carefully for the road roar.? This started mildely around 8700 miles and at 10500 is really annoying.? The wear is on the inside.? BMW will change my tires next week.? I will take another set of Dunlops.? I drove the first 2000 miles in very hot weather in Europe and I thought the ride was great.? As they wore and the weather got cooler in winter I noticed a harsher ride.

I think replacement depends on the dealer and his relationship with BMWNA.? My dealer seems to get what ever they want under warranty.
[snapback]115188[/snapback]

Hormazd, like you my tyres seemed to be in very good shape from the outside, the road noise is what alerted me that something was amiss, and of course when I brought it in for servicing they discovered the wearing on the insides of the tyres. As large as my dealer is the wankers dont seem to have as good a relationship with BMW as yours do or else they wouldnt be offering this 50% reimbursement as the best that BMW will do.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:59 AM
Senior Members

guys,

someone above said that you cannot rotate tires if the car is equipped with the sports package.

I've never heard that before, is it true?

If so, why?

I was going to put back my rft's for summer and rotate front to rear....
Old 04-15-2005, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

On the sport package, at least with my 545, the rear tires are a different size than the fronts so you can't rotate them front to rear. Also, since the tires are directional, you can't rotate them left to right without dismounting and remounting them (which is actually the recommended way to rotate left to right anyway...)
Old 04-15-2005, 04:05 AM
Members

Run Flat Tyer have only one advantage and unlimited disadvantages ??
Old 04-15-2005, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Memotronic' date='Apr 15 2005, 08:05 AM
[snapback]115697[/snapback]
The rotation issue isn't limited to the runflats. The tire sizes are the same on regular tires too.

For me, I like the runflats. The only real disadvantage is that they're a bit stiffer over bumps. There are more advantages than disadvantages, as long as they don't start roaring at 7000 miles. Then again, I just got brand new ones for free because of that issue. I wonder if I'll be getting free tires again in 7 or 8 months?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:57 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Memotronic' date='Apr 15 2005, 06:05 AM
[snapback]115697[/snapback]
Maybe more than one advantage - safety, convenience, protection against most wheel rash -- for starters.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 545 Silver Grey, Grey, Sports Package, Preimium, Cold Weather, Shades, PDC, Logic 7, Fold Down Back Seats, AUX, Carputer

Rudy is right

The rotation issue is not limited to run flats. You could switch the tires left to right and vise versa but all the trouble you have to go through its nto worth it. I am thinking if i should put the run flats back on when it be time to change. I seriously miss making sharp turn on those damn Dunlops lol. The ride quality on my Michelines is soft and there is no rode noise, but every time i make a sharp turn my car fish tails a little bit and it just does not feel that stable.

P.S. Hey Rudy my setup is workin perfectly fine i have had no problems with my connections..Let me know if you still want the break down of my install.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Hold on, I forgot one important detail (where's my coffee?)

You can't switch the tires left to right at all if there is an "outside" label on the sidewall. Between that and the directional requirement, you're stuck.

My Dunlop runflats are labeled that way so basically, they can't be rotated at all...they're directional and asymmetric, not just directional.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 15 2005, 07:12 AM
Hold on, I forgot one important detail (where's my coffee?)

You can't switch the tires left to right at all if there is an "outside" label on the sidewall.? Between that and the directional requirement, you're stuck.

My Dunlop runflats are labeled that way so basically, they can't be rotated at all...they're directional and asymmetric, not just directional.
[snapback]115718[/snapback]
Right. Same here. Each of my tires is different, so they cannot be interchanged.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

How is the direction marked?

Quick Reply: Run Flat Mess