Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Run Flat Mess

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by TurboDman' date='Apr 13 2005, 01:13 PM
sense the RF are so hard they get worn out much easier then a softer all weather tire..
[snapback]114949[/snapback]
It's actually the reverse of what you are saying. The high-performance tires are always softer than an all weather tire -- they just don't stay soft in cold temperatures. The runflats have a stiffer sidewall to allow you to drive with little or no pressure.

The speed rating is usually a quick way to determine how long a tire will last. If the tire is rated for a high speed, it won't last as long...
Old 04-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Jet Black, Auburn Dakota, Sport Package, Logic 7, Red rear reflectors, K&N intake filter

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Apr 13 2005, 08:49 AM
My recommendation would be to invest $30 on a good tire gauge.? I've had my Dunlop Run Flats and I'm at 17,000 miles.? No problem noticed here.? Earlier I did notice irregular tire wear, but after keeping the tires at recommended PSI, I have not had any problems nor early tire wear.? I do drive my 545 w/sports package very hard.
[snapback]114936[/snapback]
I think the key is indeed to keep checking tire pressures as I have heard that RF tires may be more prone to air leaking between rim and tire. The onboard pressure sensors won't see it as it is such a slow leak. My 2nd visit to dlr before they were replaced noted all tires were low according to svc tech report.

The KEY is that the alignment must be checked and corrected so for the original poster I would make BMW pay for alignment as I believe they changed the camber on mine
Old 04-13-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Apr 13 2005, 11:49 AM
My recommendation would be to invest $30 on a good tire gauge.? I've had my Dunlop Run Flats and I'm at 17,000 miles.? No problem noticed here.? Earlier I did notice irregular tire wear, but after keeping the tires at recommended PSI, I have not had any problems nor early tire wear.? I do drive my 545 w/sports package very hard.
Speaking of inflation, what are acceptable inflation pressures? I think it says 34 or 38 (depending on load conditions) on my driver's door jamb. Does inflating to 34 decrease the jarring from the stiff runflats a little bit? I haven't experimented yet, but I would like to do what I can to damp the jarring from road defects (I live in Chicago) while preserving handling and wear.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 13 2005, 01:05 PM
[quote name='teriyaki88' date='Apr 13 2005, 11:49 AM']My recommendation would be to invest $30 on a good tire gauge.? I've had my Dunlop Run Flats and I'm at 17,000 miles.? No problem noticed here.? Earlier I did notice irregular tire wear, but after keeping the tires at recommended PSI, I have not had any problems nor early tire wear.? I do drive my 545 w/sports package very hard.
Speaking of inflation, what are acceptable inflation pressures? I think it says 34 or 38 (depending on load conditions) on my driver's door jamb. Does inflating to 34 decrease the jarring from the stiff runflats a little bit? I haven't experimented yet, but I would like to do what I can to damp the jarring from road defects (I live in Chicago) while preserving handling and wear.
[snapback]114980[/snapback]
[/quote]

(Sorry, that's me. I don't know why I don't automatically log in any more.)
Old 04-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tab545' date='Apr 13 2005, 03:06 PM
(Sorry, that's me.? I don't know why I don't automatically log in any more.)
[snapback]114981[/snapback]
Make sure you're set to accept cookies...
Old 04-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 Boxster, 02 IS-300, 03 MDX

I had a 02 Maserati Coupe that had these problems. The first tires wore out at 4,000 miles. But then I went to TireRack.com and found the tires with the longest tread rating. They never lasted, but when you have 440hp going to the rear set of 295's it sounds possible. I would buy them from an independent shop, and find the highest tread wear rating.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

If you look at my tires they look new. post on this forum alerted me and I have been listening carefully for the road roar. This started mildely around 8700 miles and at 10500 is really annoying. The wear is on the inside. BMW will change my tires next week. I will take another set of Dunlops. I drove the first 2000 miles in very hot weather in Europe and I thought the ride was great. As they wore and the weather got cooler in winter I noticed a harsher ride.

I think replacement depends on the dealer and his relationship with BMWNA. My dealer seems to get what ever they want under warranty.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

I Do not have runflats but with all the posts regarding runflats I have a question....

Are the stiffer sidewalls of runflat tyres more likely to cause alignment problems, i.e. hit a rut & knock the wheels off alignment more easily than normal tyres?

If so - then it may be cheaper to get the alignment checked regularly.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 545 Silver Grey, Grey, Sports Package, Preimium, Cold Weather, Shades, PDC, Logic 7, Fold Down Back Seats, AUX, Carputer

Hey Rudy

Maybe i did get it in reverse order, but my understanding is the all weather tires are made soft on purpose so it could be used in different tupes of weather conditions. Tires will get soft when its a hot weather and will get worn out faster, when its cold tires get harder. So it all depends on the kind of tire you have.

Tires that are hard are usually performance tires you right and do to that they wore out much more faster.

GB525dTour

BMW with sports packages are very sensative to pot hols and even water puddels. If you even slightly hit it your allignment will be off. I remmember one time i hit a water puddel my car had to be in a dealership for 4 hours for an allignment.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

TurboD, I think what you're saying is correct.

What I was trying to explain was that the key to winter tires is that they're designed to stay soft in cold temperatures. When a tire gets warm (which is normal due to the friction generated while driving) it grips better. In winter, the tires need to be soft even when cold to provide grip. High performance tires are also soft -- they just don't stay soft when they're cold.

In normal summer temperatures, high performance tires are soft too which is why I felt that the statement "since the RF is so hard they get worn out much easier" wasn't entirely accurate. A hard tire will always outlast a soft tire. High performance tires are quite soft (as long as they are not cold) which is why they wear out faster than "normal" summer tires. That's also why once it gets warm, you should remove your winter tires because they will experience premature wear if driven in warm temperatures...

Quick Reply: Run Flat Mess