Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Problems Encountered

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by kiki' date='Jan 23 2004, 06:18 PM
All this stuff is crazy!! I am waiting at least a year. Who know, perhaps I'll go for the new A6 or the Lexus GS. They're not BMW, but I can't imagine that I would be bringing a Lexus in the shop constantly for computer issues and overheats.
you can never tell
Old 01-31-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by David' date='Jan 14 2004, 12:49 PM
My car was a September production for USA.... There are several issues with the car ... I'm still waitng for the Sirus Radio and the Bluetooth system... Dealership keeps telling me that "... it should be available next month...." since October...
Can you elaborate on the Bluetooth technology available for this car?
Old 01-31-2004, 10:32 PM
weden

Bluetooth is not just about connecting the phone. It is actually a multimedia gateway. What you will soon se is that the car passanger entertainment can be down loaded wia the "sky" and personalized to each passangers personal entertainment pads (pad= a multimedia device)
Voice communication and data is just the first services offered. <_<
Old 02-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weden' date='Feb 1 2004, 01:32 AM
Bluetooth is not just about connecting the phone. It is actually a multimedia gateway. What you will soon se is that the car passanger entertainment can be down loaded wia the "sky" and personalized to each passangers personal entertainment pads (pad= a multimedia device)
Voice communication and data is just the first services offered. <_<
What are u talking about?

Bluetooth cannot be used in that way
It's a Short range (10-100 meters depending on device) radio wave trasmitter of sorts

But i do agree - bluetooth has grown in so many ways since its inception, and will definitely be here to stay!
Old 02-08-2004, 02:10 AM
Members

I think he means that using the phone's GPRS (and 3G coming around the corner) the car will be connected to the internet all the time with broadband speed. Bluetooth is just the last bit of the plumbing. Can you imagine the car telling you whenever you pass an excellent curry house/pub/fill in the blanks here....
Old 02-08-2004, 04:59 AM
weden

What I mean is that you will have several bluetooth "passanger pads" in the car and these pads can be programmed to provide differnet functions and/or services. All this downloaded via WCDMA or equal type of network from an intelligent service node into the cars entertainment system.

This is not far away.....
Old 02-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Members

Weden

You sound like you are in the wireless business...

What is a "passenger pad" - please elaborate. What services are in the pipeline?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Another 530D in London

Sounds like a load of balls to me.

And I am in the wireless business.

Integration of localised services with the car has nothing to do with bluetooth. These type of services will/may/could be available if you have the right kind of cellphone - whether you are in a car or not.

What's more, bluetooth is only suitable for low data rates and will never be suitable for streaming high resolution video (for example) from your cellphone to your bluetooth car.

As a previous poster noted, bluetooth is a short range, low bandwidth technology. Next gen mobile networks can already stream video to your phone- but this is not done via bluetooth. If this kind of techology is integrated into cars in the future, it will more likely use wider band access such as 802.x (where x is the currently fashionable variant) to send data from the phone to the car. The actual data transmission from cell site to phone will use whatever network technology you have already bought into with your cellphone. (Or your car if you have an embedded transceiver as opposed to a removeable device)

As an example, consider an iPOD type device installed in your car. When you park your car outside your house, it will update its music library to match that on the server in your house. Wirelessly. Automatically.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Robert

Originally Posted by GODzilla' date='Oct 27 2003, 01:58 PM
I had two glitches thus far since delivery of my vehicle (I'm in Germany with American specs). Both occurred at the same conditions, first thing in the morning when the temperature was below freezing. First glitch, the LCD iDrive menu failed to come on. The iDrive menu came on later on in the day but by then, the temperature had increased to the mid-forties. Second, the center arm rest button to open the storage compartment got stuck. But as the temperature warmed, it opened fine. Other than that, the car is driving great and I have no complaints other than the stares I get as I drive by.
I am having the same problem and have had it in for 3 different program updates. Here are you in the process?
Old 02-19-2004, 03:29 AM
Members

Anyone know latest version of I-drive that should be installed. My car is in the shop at the moment and they are supposed to be upgrading software. I want to check and make sure they infact upgrade the system. Car build date was 9/03

Quick Reply: Problems Encountered