Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

New user looking for a little help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by Kadonny' date='Oct 24 2005, 11:25 AM
Hello all.? I am a new user but have been lurking for a couple of weeks now.?

I am currently looking seriously at a new 550 but am somewhat undecided on the car setup and options.? I am thinking SMG trans since I am a long time manual transmission guy (current car is an A6 2.7T 6 speed) and am allured by the SMG.? It would allow my wife to drive the car even though she has never driven a manual before.? That plus just the pure joy of driving the SMG would be amazing.

Here is how I am preliminarily optioning it out:

Sport package
Premium sound
Cold wheather package
Active steering
Fold down seat
Nav
Sat radio
Heated front seats

Welcome to the club.? I too traded a A-6 2.7T 6 Speed, and was amazed at the difference in handling and response between the two cars.? Good choice of equipment, but if you get the Comfort Seats you will not regret it.? With the ability to control the seat back position between the upper third and the lower two thirds, you can get a position that is just right.? Also, you can adjust the side bolsters, as well.? These are the most comfortable seats in any car that I have had the pleasure of driving.? As for the comfort option, I agree with many that this seems to be overpriced for the functionality.? Unlike the Audi system, in which you only have to have the key in your pocket, this requires that you insert the FOB into the slot on the steering wheel.? So what is the difference between inserting the FOB and inserting a key?? Also, what is the difference between turning a key and pressing a button?? Now I realize that the car will unlock when you approach and touch the door handle, but the rest is not too different from a normal operation.

I am sure that you are looking forward to your new toy, and will certainly enjoy it regardless of how you decide to equip it.

Good Luck

Joe Poole

I am undecided on the comfort access and the color.? I have always had black cars, but might like something different for a change.? The car has to be dark (I hate light cars, sorry no offence to those light color car guys) so maybe the Monaco Blue or Titanium Gray.

So, anyone want to give me an opinion here on my choices?? I won't even mention what other car I was looking at because my Audi lease is up in a few months.

Thanks all.
[snapback]187991[/snapback]
Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Members

Hud is very cool...consider it.

Comfort Seats? I love them but they don't fit all body styles: highly subjective choice.

Logic 7 stereo rocks...BMW finally got a good stereo in their cars.

Wife loves the heated seats despite the fact we're in the Bay Area. Something about ovaries getting cold...I guess testicles handle it better?

Sirius sat radio is also very cool. Took a trip up to BC/Alberta and it came in loud and clear...even listened to some football games on the road. The score was updated on the screen, too!

I have Tit Grey...I'd be happy to forward on some pics...email/PM me.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Oct 26 2005, 08:35 AM
Wife loves the heated seats despite the fact we're in the Bay Area.? Something about ovaries getting cold...I guess testicles handle it better??

[snapback]188627[/snapback]
Old 10-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Members

My Ride: Current: 2006 550 - Sport & Cold Weather Packages, Premium Audio and Navigation, Monaco Blue and Biege Previous: 2001 330Ci - Sport & Premium Packages, Orient Blue and Biege

Originally Posted by Kadonny' date='Oct 24 2005, 11:25 AM

I am currently looking seriously at a new 550 but am somewhat undecided on the car setup and options.? I am thinking SMG trans since I am a long time manual transmission guy (current car is an A6 2.7T 6 speed) and am allured by the SMG.? It would allow my wife to drive the car even though she has never driven a manual before.? That plus just the pure joy of driving the SMG would be amazing.

Sport package
Premium sound
Cold wheather package
Active steering
Fold down seat
Nav
Sat radio
Heated front seats

I am undecided on the comfort access and the color.? I have always had black cars, but might like something different for a change.? The car has to be dark (I hate light cars, sorry no offence to those light color car guys) so maybe the Monaco Blue or Titanium Gray.

So, anyone want to give me an opinion here on my choices?? I won't even mention what other car I was looking at because my Audi lease is up in a few months.

Thanks all.
I have the Monaco Blue on my 550i (you can see pics in the purchasing forum) and I really like the color. Very dark, but still a color.

As for comfort access I couldn't see paying a grand to leave the key in my pocket.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Members

My Ride: Current: 2006 550 - Sport & Cold Weather Packages, Premium Audio and Navigation, Monaco Blue and Biege Previous: 2001 330Ci - Sport & Premium Packages, Orient Blue and Biege

Originally Posted by Kadonny' date='Oct 25 2005, 08:27 AM
Awesome info.? Great reads on the SMG threads.? Looks to be a ton of pros in those threads.? Thanks.

I'll keep you all infomed.? And yes, I do love black and seem to keep getting black cars.? I just love the bad ass look of black, almost sinister.? When I was at the dealership they just rolled off the carl carrier a black M5.? Now talk about a bad looking car, that was it.

So the runflats get panned on this board too?? Geez, I hear nothing good about those tires at all.? Does the 550 come with a spare donut tire even with the runflats?

What other optional 18" BMW wheels are out there?
[snapback]188371[/snapback]
The 550s are coming with Bridgestones and not Dunlops, they feel much better than the Dunlops on the 545s I test drove.

The car does come with a donut spare.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Members

I am also new to the site. I turned in a 745 for a 550 a couple weeks ago. Comfort seats are a must. Comfort access is nice, if you can only get one get the seats. I wanted the SMG but timing was not right. I went for the saphire black and do agree the amount of sparkles are a little over done, but it looks good.

Originally Posted by Kadonny' date='Oct 24 2005, 10:25 AM

Sport package
Premium sound
Cold wheather package
Active steering
Fold down seat
Nav
Sat radio
Heated front seats

Thanks all.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

congrats on 1) finding this forum it has been really helpful to me too. and 2)deciding on the 550i. I have one on order and was in your position about 2 months ago. I finally went with SMG after lots of thought and encouragement from the friends on the site. I know it is difficult...specially when it is almost 100% guarantee you will never see a 550i SMG on the lot available for test drive.

Good luck and what ever you decide...I'm sure you can do no wrong!
Old 10-26-2005, 04:32 AM
Members

Great pics bobby. I love the color. Thanks all for the replies. I am waiting to hear back from the salesman, he is going to call me when they receive a few 550's. Should be any day now.