Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

New user looking for a little help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I am a new user but have been lurking for a couple of weeks now.

I am currently looking seriously at a new 550 but am somewhat undecided on the car setup and options. I am thinking SMG trans since I am a long time manual transmission guy (current car is an A6 2.7T 6 speed) and am allured by the SMG. It would allow my wife to drive the car even though she has never driven a manual before. That plus just the pure joy of driving the SMG would be amazing.

Here is how I am preliminarily optioning it out:

Sport package
Premium sound
Cold wheather package
Active steering
Fold down seat
Nav
Sat radio
Heated front seats

I am undecided on the comfort access and the color. I have always had black cars, but might like something different for a change. The car has to be dark (I hate light cars, sorry no offence to those light color car guys) so maybe the Monaco Blue or Titanium Gray.

So, anyone want to give me an opinion here on my choices? I won't even mention what other car I was looking at because my Audi lease is up in a few months.

Thanks all.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

I would definitely add the Comfort Seat option; its a must have...There is a big difference, I drove a 5 around for a day or two with sport seats and then I got my new 5 with comfort seats and man what a difference. My dealer told me that the seats are the ones from the 7. The other options look just about right.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Members

Thanks for the reply, I was not talking comfort seats, but comfort option, now you have me thinking about the comfort seats too

I am soooo confused. And the other bad thing is dealers dont even have any SMG cars on the lot to test, thats really what I need to try out, the options are not nearly as important.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Originally Posted by Kadonny' date='Oct 24 2005, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the reply, I was not talking comfort seats, but comfort option, now you have me thinking about the comfort seats too?

I am soooo confused.? And the other bad thing is dealers dont even have any SMG cars on the lot to test, thats really what I need to try out, the options are not nearly as important.
[snapback]187998[/snapback]
Sorry, well, I didnt get the comfort access option, cause the cost vs. benefit was just not there for me...Ill put the FOB in and push to start (Ill do that for $2000).

I was lucky enough to drive my buddy's M3 with SMG (mind you its a lot different drive than the 5, but I just wanted to get the feel for the SMG in general). It was a little jerky, but with practice Im sure that will go away. Plus another consideration is that the SMG you will get in a 5 will not be the latest one for the Ms...I believe you will most likely get SMGII, but the Ms will have SMGIII (Anybody care to weigh in??). But I ultimately decided to get the STEP, cause I have an infant and a jerky car is not a good thing for her.

Yeah, I know what you mean about being confused...so when I ordered mine the dealer asked me what options I wanted...I answered..."YES". I started with a full-boat and removed the options I didnt want (No XM-radio, no comfort access...but I believe everything else). Take you time and do it right...I did about 4 weeks of research on the net and this site especially (THIS SITE ROCKS!!! ). I hope this helps.

-Hit
Old 10-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Contributors

Welcome aboard Kadonny. As a new 550 owner I can say with certainty that you've made an excellent choice to go for the 550. It's an amazing car.

You've got a good list of options there. I would second the nomination for Comfort Seats - they are perfect.

Now that I have HUD, I would not want to be without it. Quick frankly, the speedo is somewhat crowded because it goes all the way up to 160 - which makes your speed hard to see with a quick glance. (Well, that and the fact that my 47 year old eye balls cannot refocus as fast from far away to close in views). So the HUD makes it perfectly clear how fast you are going without looking down.

If you live in a colder climate why not add the heated rear seats too?

As for color, I went for Jet Black - which looks great when clean, but the first time you touch the car you will start to get micro scratches in the clear coat and it's a pain to keep looking perfect (I don't mind the effort though - it's my therapy).

Sapphire Black (metallic) may be less demanding to care for, but I think the sparklies are a bit too much - it reminds me of when my daughter was 6 years old and did her own makeup for her first ballet recital.

Another member here just picked up his Monaco Blue 550 and it looks fantastic too.

Which interior color are you considering? I think a lighter interior with the darker exterior always looks great. I have beige, which is all beige. I've just ordered black mats to tone it down a bit.

Good luck deciding and keep us up-to-date.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Welcome and good choices so far. Cannot speak to Comfort Seats as they are not available in the 6er. HUD however, is a good option as well. Similar to tachyon I chose HUD due to my trifocal glasses. After having it now for 8 months I would never again chose a car without it. far easier to know your situation at all times. Other than that you're well on your way to an excellent ride
Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' date='Oct 24 2005, 11:01 AM
Welcome aboard Kadonny.? As a new 550 owner I can say with certainty that you've made an excellent choice to go for the 550.? It's an amazing car.?

You've got a good list of options there.? I would second the nomination for Comfort Seats - they are perfect.?

Now that I have HUD, I would not want to be without it.? Quick frankly, the speedo is somewhat crowded because it goes all the way up to 160 - which makes your speed hard to see with a quick glance.? (Well, that and the fact that my 47 year old eye balls cannot refocus as fast from far away to close in views).? So the HUD makes it perfectly clear how fast you are going without looking down.

If you live in a colder climate why not add the heated rear seats too??

As for color, I went for Jet Black - which looks great when clean, but the first time you touch the car you will start to get micro scratches in the clear coat and it's a pain to keep looking perfect (I don't mind the effort though - it's my therapy).?

Sapphire Black (metallic) may be less demanding to care for, but I think the sparklies are a bit too much - it reminds me of when my daughter was 6 years old and did her own makeup for her first ballet recital.?

Another member here just picked up his Monaco Blue 550 and it looks fantastic too.

Which interior color are you considering?? I think a lighter interior with the darker exterior always looks great.? I have beige, which is all beige.? I've just ordered black mats to tone it down a bit.

Good luck deciding and keep us up-to-date.
[snapback]188015[/snapback]

Thanks much for the opinions. I am in a cold climate (Eastern PA) and just figured my kids could live without the warm fanny option The HUD is something I would never think I would want, but I guess I should check it out anyway.

I believe the 06 will have the SMGIII, at least that is what the salesman told me, and he seemed to be very informed, but I have no verification on it.

My interior will be black for sure, I just have always liked a dark interior. It hides a ton of dirty fingers from the kids if you know what I mean. I am going to have to see a sapphire black car. On the web page it looks the same as the Jet black. I really have to see allt he colors in person to decide, but as I said earlier it will be dark.

The pickup on the car is amazing with the V-8, and I only drove a 545. The salesman is going to call me this week when a 550 arrives to drive that, but I am not interested in the 6 cyl option, the 8 is the way to go.

Thanks for the opinions so far. The trans is really the tough choice for me.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

My $0.02 is: I have a Subaru with heated seats, and have gone out on some very cold days in winter, and have almost never used the heated seats. So if you need to save a few $$ ......
I just got everything on mine EXCEPT comfort seats and cold weather package (and except the Sport Package because on the wagon it adds almost nothing). Park Distance Control is something you might want unless it's in one of the packages you mentioned. Color is completely personal so I won't opine.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Yo Kadonny then get HUD and L7 and in Titanium grey get a nice wheel and winters and foget the comfort access buy some nice goodies go for SMG, you will love it!

Originally Posted by Kadonny' date='Oct 24 2005, 04:25 PM
Hello all.? I am a new user but have been lurking for a couple of weeks now.?

I am currently looking seriously at a new 550 but am somewhat undecided on the car setup and options.? I am thinking SMG trans since I am a long time manual transmission guy (current car is an A6 2.7T 6 speed) and am allured by the SMG.? It would allow my wife to drive the car even though she has never driven a manual before.? That plus just the pure joy of driving the SMG would be amazing.

Here is how I am preliminarily optioning it out:

Sport package
Premium sound
Cold wheather package
Active steering
Fold down seat
Nav
Sat radio
Heated front seats

I am undecided on the comfort access and the color.? I have always had black cars, but might like something different for a change.? The car has to be dark (I hate light cars, sorry no offence to those light color car guys) so maybe the Monaco Blue or Titanium Gray.

So, anyone want to give me an opinion here on my choices?? I won't even mention what other car I was looking at because my Audi lease is up in a few months.

Thanks all.
[snapback]187991[/snapback]
Old 10-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

Pass on the SMG and get the traditional 6spd manual.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big believer in the SMG technology that BMW has put out, but I am not a fan of the SMG setup in non-M BMW cars.

The only SMG system worth getting are those found in the current ///M production cars, e.g. E60 M5 (SMG III), E46 M3 (SMG II) and maybe eventually the E63 M6 and MZ4 Coupe.

But that's just me, before you decide on the transmission choice, definitely drive a 5 series with the SMG setup. If you like it, then by all means go for it.

And, heck, if you decide to go 6sp and your wife is stuck in the driver's seat, all the better ... more driving time for you.

Quick Reply: New user looking for a little help