Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Logic7 vs Sports Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550745540

OK, I got it.

Keep the wife, get both options and if she complains, withold certain favours :'( and start preparing a cold shower right about now.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Red' date='Jul 29 2005, 03:45 PM
[quote name='krispykreme' date='Jul 29 2005, 07:15 PM']To buy a BMW without sports package defeats the purpose of buying a BMW in the 1st place.

[snapback]154364[/snapback]
Isn't the entire car designed to be a "sport"?
[snapback]154450[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have never liked none sport BMW. Drove both E60 and E39 without sport, just find the car handling to be lacklaster. Probably on par with W211 which itself is not a world class handler either.

BMW is about performance and handling. I can understand that if you live in bad road condition area that you may want to ditch it. Although I don't think sports pkg car has such stiff ride. We are not talking about the 19" M3.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Members

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice. The positions seem to come down to this:

1) Get the sports package because handling and driving pleasure (not to mention looks) are everything
2) Get Logic 7 because standard handling is already good enough, and in fact the ride with sports suspension & tires may be too harsh
3) Think "out of the box" and get both (with or without regard for my domestic harmony)

The majority support (1), but those who recommend (2) make a good case as well. So it's still a difficult decision ...
However, on a positive note, I don't think there is a wrong answer (and in any case, getting the car itself is more important than anything else, right?)
Old 07-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by bestbuy' date='Jul 29 2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice. The positions seem to come down to this:

1) Get the sports package because handling and driving pleasure (not to mention looks) are everything
2) Get Logic 7 because standard handling is already good enough, and in fact the ride with sports suspension & tires may be too harsh
3) Think "out of the box" and get both (with or without regard for my domestic harmony)

The majority support (1), but those who recommend (2) make a good case as well. So it's still a difficult decision ...
However, on a positive note, I don't think there is a wrong answer (and in any case, getting the car itself is more important than anything else, right?)
[snapback]154463[/snapback]

Have you driven an E60 with and without the sports package?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Jul 29 2005, 08:12 PM
Have you driven an E60 with and without the sports package?
[snapback]154496[/snapback]
I've test driven both, and should probably drive them more extensively. One problem I foresee is that I could easily make the wrong decision based on limited experience - i.e. what is enjoyable on a test drive may become tiresome after a year of day-to-day driving (and vice versa, something I may not appreciate on a short drive may become quite important in the long run). That's why I appreciate perspectives that people have offered based on their ownership experience.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Costco's car purchasing can get you the E60 for $1000 over wholesale. If you aren't a Costco member, it's only $40 to become a member. See if that changes things at all for you.

I have both of the options you're deliberating over, and I'm really glad I have them.

The cars come with the tires inflated for maximum load. If you aren't going to fill the cabin with passengers and fill the trunk with luggage (and then drive over 100 mph), you'll never need that much pressure. At the PSI for the load rating that will allow a full cabin, no cargo load, and 100+ mph the sports suspension is much more supple. You'll lose ~3mpg, but if you find the ride harsh it's an option.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CENTRAL CALI' date='Jul 29 2005, 04:08 AM
Single?
[snapback]154307[/snapback]
are you glad to hear that? you have more girls' phone numbers to give ?

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jul 29 2005, 04:16 AM
That explains why you're on the board so much!? 7000+ posts!?

Either that or girls think you're an alcaholic.? Haha J/K.?
[snapback]154310[/snapback]
put down your bottle before you type, alcaholic .

Originally Posted by phototalk123' date='Jul 29 2005, 05:33 AM
I would like to have carbon copy too.?
?
[snapback]154333[/snapback]
i'll call up everybody and probably keep 5 of them. you can have the rest .
Old 08-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributors

One thing I haven't noticed in the majority of your posts here is that on an 06 530 - the active steering is NOT included in the Sport Package. I am a huge fan of the active steering. I think the stereo can be upgraded later - I would choose sport - but add active steering, which puts another thousand dollar decision of sport w or w/out active steering. You said it right though - you are getting the car - that's the best part!
Old 08-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Green-Crayon' date='Aug 2 2005, 05:36 PM
One thing I haven't noticed in the majority of your posts here is that on an 06 530 - the active steering is NOT included in the Sport Package.? I am a huge fan of the active steering.? I think the stereo can be upgraded later - I would choose sport - but add active steering, which puts another thousand dollar decision of sport w or w/out active steering.? You said it right though - you are getting the car - that's the best part!
[snapback]155536[/snapback]
Good point.

Sport is a must. I like my active steering, but can't say whether I could live without it. So, if cost is an option, I would put it second on the list.

Logic 7 is a must also as I think the base system sucks. True, you can upgraded it later, but that is a hassle, so do it from the start.

You are spending too much on this car to do without either of these options.

IMO, Nav is a nice option, but how much are you going to use it versus the sport package (everytime you drive and look at the car) and the Logic 7 (everytime you get in the car).

My first suggestion is to bite the bullet and get both. If that is not an option, dump the Nav and get a portable unit.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I would get both. In the long run you will be kicking yourself that you let 2% of the purchase price, only a few dollars a month in your payment (likely less than what you spend on a single restaurant meal) keep you from getting what you want.

As for whether the sports packages is a must, it's personal. In genereal I would say that if you are male and under the age of 50, you will want the sport package. Over age 50, generally speaking, you probably won't care.

Quick Reply: Logic7 vs Sports Package