Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Loaner Policy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:54 AM
bjs
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little frustrated and dissappointed. Just dropped my car off for the fuel line recall, v12 update and a couple of other minor things. First, I had to almost argue with the service guy to get version 12 installed, he said they would only do it if it needed it but finally indicated that based on the issues I was having it would need it. We'll see.

The disappointing part is the loaner. I got one (2003 325) but only after another argument. He insisted that the dealer policy was no loaner unless it was a major service! I've never heard of this before. I came over from M-B and any time you took the car in for warranty work you got a loaner or at least a rental. He said that BMW NA has no loaner policy and doesn't cover the dealers for loaners.

Does this make sense? Are there different policies for different dealers? I spent well over $60K for this car and that service was expected!

Thanks for letting me vent,

Brian
Old 07-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think loaner policies are pretty much up to the dealers. I know for a fact that even M-B doesn't reimburse dealers for loaners -- it's up to each dealer to figure out a policy. (There are a few exceptions to this rule, of course. Certain service delays could allow the manufacturer to pay for a rental and, for example, some cars (like the Chrysler Pacifica and Crossfire) come with a loaner policy as part of the warranty. I think BMW has agreed to pay for rentals on this new E60 recall as well.

My dealer has a limited supply of loaners and you pretty much have to schedule around the availability to get one. (Actually, the dealership just changed hands and the new owner traditionally has had a more liberal loaner policy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this situation will improve soon!)
Old 07-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Correct. It's totally up to each dealer. All 3 of the BMW dealers in my area only offer loaners for major service (Inspection 1 and 2, etc.)

That sucks, but seems to be the way it is at most dealers.

If they do not offer a loaner. mine usually will pay for a crummy Enterprise Rent-A-Car if the car is still under warranty.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

bjs, seems like you are expressing my feeling and are you in hawaii as well ? both rudy and 555 are correct, loaners are really up to the dealers. i asked my salesperson about loaner before i bought the car and he told me he'll arrange "something" for me if i need one in the future. this promise is in doubt since that guy is so unreliable . i feel a little luckier than you because the service guy that i talked to before has a much better service and attitude than the salesperson. i think they should switch seats or at least have the service guy teach the salesperson what is customer service.

talk about argument, i argued with my salesperson couple weeks ago about the parts that i asked him to order and finally i got two out of five items. can you believe i have to wait a month for the red rear reflectors and all weather floor mats?! my aunt bought another bimmer from another salesperson and she got her mats the day after she picked up the car. i'm still waiting for another three parts (chrome grille, wood shift knob and already forgot what's the last one) and it's been six weeks now ! my friend still hasn't received his referral check from that guy yet! wtf !!!

i feel sad to say but m.benz's service is always better than bmw...well, at least in hawaii. i took my dad's m.b. to service and they either got me another m.b. as a loaner or a rental car. i think the average age of bimmer buyers are younger than m.b. so the people in bmw already built up an "if-you-kids-don't-have-money-don't-waste-my-time" attitude. i'm always thinking if the bmw dealer in here change all the staff completely, man, i really think their sales will go up at least 5-10% every month!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My dealer in suburban Philadelphia does provide a loaner, regardless of whether it is major service or not, but you have to give them ten days notice you want the loaner car.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

I make sure I get the dealer's commitment for a loaner as one of the conditions of buying the car there. I've done it with three dealers now, and I've never had a problem.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:56 PM
Members

Maybe it's different in the UK, but when my '04 525 was in the dealers for some waranty work recently for 6 days I got a '04 530 as a loaner.

I find the BMW dealer network in the UK the best car dealer network I have ever dealt with, and I have had to deal with MB, Daimler, Chrysler, Honda and Vauxhall in the last three years.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

All 3 dealers in my area have signs posted stating their loaner policy (Inspection I, Inspection II, or major service only). I even had to initial an addendum when I bought the car. It was not negotiable at this dealer.

Case in point, I dropped mine off this morning to get version 12 and the on site Enterprise Rent-A-Car gave me a Hyundai Elentra! YUCK. It was that or a Chevy Cavaleir.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Members

My dealership offers a loaner on any car under warranty for any reason. Typically if a loaner is available on any?given day, one can get a loaner anyway as far as I can tell. The individual service managers seem to have a lot of leeway in this sort of thing.

I turned in my car today?for the EMC problem (my service guy tsk-tsked me for driving it over instead of letting them tow it) and I got a 325i. He told me that he'd probably switch that out tomorrow (apparently the sales dept has its *own* loaners that are separate from the service dept loaners, but the main sales guy who does that sort of thing wasn't in today). They loan out x3s and such, so hopefully I'll get something different.

Peace.