Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

I hate my dealer. (Urgent Question)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Go to a tire shop. Save your money and the gas for the trip. A good tire shop should know exactly what to do. I just had snows installed by a reputable tire-only shop. It took no time at all.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The only thing I'll add is that in my experiences, tire shops don't always treat nice rims with as much care as the dealer. Sure there are good tire shops that don't screw rims up but in my limited experiences with them (usually in an emergency when the dealer is closed or something), they guy doing the work is just a kid and often doesn't even think about wheel scratches, etc. Once a wheel is scratched, good luck getting the tire shop to pay for fixing the damage -- they'll likely just claim that it's part of the normal wheel/tire machine process and there's nothing they can do.

My BMW dealer does an excellent job protecting the wheel when using the tire machine. The tech makes sure the wheel and machine are clean, he puts multiple layers of masking tape around the painted surfaces, etc. to make sure that nothing bad happens.

If you can find an tire shop that does these kinds of things, then I agree that your problem isn't BMW specific and you probably don't need to deal with a dealer but for me, it's worth the extra time and money if it helps keep the wheels from getting damaged.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by aretardedorange' post='1071626' date='Dec 10 2009, 05:14 PM
I honestly hate my dealer. BMW Of Hudson Valley is the biggest joke ever. I had an appointment for 4:45 today and they had no record of me ever calling

When questioned about tomorrow they only have one slot ready which is at 7:45AM LOL. Closed on Saturday and Sunday . No loaner cars, all are booked until new years. No shuttle service. Never bought my car from Hudson bought in good old NJ.

I got a slew of excuses today, no loaner cars, no shuttle service, no tires in stock, no record of ever calling

Will the allignment get messed up on my wheels if I drive a good 60 miles to the next friendliest dealer? The only closest one that even offers a loaner car and a car wash is Prestige.

My tire had been punctured and the spare tire that's in the trunk has been installed. I am just worried that if I drive 60 miles to Prestige the alignment on the car will get messed up.

The tire alone is $250.
Like the others said - any good tire shop should be able to handle replacement of your tire. You might want to look for a local shop that specializes in high performance tires / rims. They are more likely to deal with the higher end cars and thus more likely to take better care of your rims. Tires are a "commodity" item and don't require BMW expertise to handle them.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

i would go to a tire shop and watch them. tell them to be careful.. i had the dealer put 2 prong marks on my 172 once.. if it wasnt for my son noticing it i would have drove off..they didnt even tell me.. damm jerk off's....

they did replace it though. ive also had tire shops mess up a rim as well.. so in all honesty i think it depends where you go.. if you want it quicker then go to a reputable shop that specializes in high end rims and stuff. there should be a ton in brooklyn if thats where you are, no?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by wolf' post='1072068' date='Dec 11 2009, 06:59 AM
Like the others said - any good tire shop should be able to handle replacement of your tire. You might want to look for a local shop that specializes in high performance tires / rims. They are more likely to deal with the higher end cars and thus more likely to take better care of your rims. Tires are a "commodity" item and don't require BMW expertise to handle them.
if i had read this before i posted i would have just put this "+1" lol
Old 12-11-2009, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1072053' date='Dec 11 2009, 02:01 AM
The only thing I'll add is that in my experiences, tire shops don't always treat nice rims with as much care as the dealer. Sure there are good tire shops that don't screw rims up but in my limited experiences with them (usually in an emergency when the dealer is closed or something), they guy doing the work is just a kid and often doesn't even think about wheel scratches, etc. Once a wheel is scratched, good luck getting the tire shop to pay for fixing the damage -- they'll likely just claim that it's part of the normal wheel/tire machine process and there's nothing they can do.

My BMW dealer does an excellent job protecting the wheel when using the tire machine. The tech makes sure the wheel and machine are clean, he puts multiple layers of masking tape around the painted surfaces, etc. to make sure that nothing bad happens.

If you can find an tire shop that does these kinds of things, then I agree that your problem isn't BMW specific and you probably don't need to deal with a dealer but for me, it's worth the extra time and money if it helps keep the wheels from getting damaged.

Agreed Rudy, but in my experience if you slip the guy doing the repair a $20 before he does the work and ask him to be careful, watch the work being done, you're still in and out in 10 mins and much happier. I have never been the type to run to the dealer with any little issue my car has, there are plenty of good shops in any major metro area.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1072104' date='Dec 11 2009, 10:02 AM
Agreed Rudy, but in my experience if you slip the guy doing the repair a $20 before he does the work and ask him to be careful, watch the work being done, you're still in and out in 10 mins and much happier. I have never been the type to run to the dealer with any little issue my car has, there are plenty of good shops in any major metro area.
Who says you can't do something similar with the BMW tech and/or SA? At least in those cases, you're likely to get a cumulative effect assuming they don't lose their jobs while you own BMWs. The tire guy? He's likely to not be there the next time you drive up...
Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545I-Wifes car- Silver gray-Gray leather

ITS ONLY A TIRE!
LOCAL shops are pretty aware of nice rims,etc as the rice rockets,HUGE 4X4's etc are all riding on nicer rims than on stock BMW's.
GET A LIFE....................
Old 12-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1072053' date='Dec 11 2009, 12:01 AM

+1

Ya I have been told by many "normal" tire shops that they wont be responsible for damaging the rims when putting on the tires. This is for bigger size rims like 18"+ A tire or wheel shop that sells expensive large wheels would be more likely to guarentee no damage.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1072101' date='Dec 11 2009, 09:54 AM
if i had read this before i posted i would have just put this "+1" lol

Good minds think alike....

Quick Reply: I hate my dealer. (Urgent Question)