Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

I actually had a fairly decent service experience!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Oct 2 2004, 08:02 PM
[quote name='skipper' date='Oct 2 2004, 06:57 PM']Thought you were talking about Land Rover because of this and not Range Rover.
[snapback]40655[/snapback]
Land Rover is the company. Range Rover is a model made by Land Rover. Land Rover also imports Discovery and Freelander in the US.

Ford part sharing does not begin until a model is thoroughly revamped. The XJ has not been changed, hence no Ford part sharing. And Ford generally only shares parts between members of the PAG with the premium models.
[snapback]40659[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ohh sorry about that. I always thought they were 2 seperate companies.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Senior Members

suebmw, your three choices are quite different. one is suv, one is sport coupe/cabrio, and one is luxury sedan. first i think you need to figure out which one is the most practical for your daily use.

i agree with you about european luxury and american/japanese luxury. i like jaguar, rolls royce type classic luxury. i didn't get a jaguar because i think it's a bit too mature for my age and i already have a rolls royce...when i'm daydreaming . bmw is something in between my taste, luxury sport sedan.

have you thought about the new m.benz cls? imo, people who like bmw's style will like that particular body style. well, maybe just me.

back to your three choices. i have friends who owned them before. both range rover and jaguar are not too reliable. porsche is better. i personally think that you've gone through all these nightmares and sure you want something is reliable this time. if you don't want to give bmw another chance after your case settled, seriously, you may want to consider m.benz over your choices. i know i'll get killed if i say this over here :'( but i just don't want you to see your lawyer more than your car .
Old 10-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Oct 2 2004, 11:09 PM
suebmw, your three choices are quite different.? one is suv, one is sport coupe/cabrio, and one is luxury sedan.? first i think you need to figure out which one is the most practical for your daily use.

i agree with you about european luxury and american/japanese luxury.? i like jaguar, rolls royce type classic luxury. i didn't get a jaguar because i think it's a bit too mature for my age and i already have a rolls royce...when i'm daydreaming .? bmw is something in between my taste, luxury sport sedan.

have you thought about the new m.benz cls?? imo, people who like bmw's style will like that particular body style.? well, maybe just me.

back to your three choices.? i have friends who owned them before.? both range rover and jaguar are not too reliable.? porsche is better.? i personally think that you've gone through all these nightmares and sure you want something is reliable this time.? if you don't want to give bmw another chance after your case settled, seriously, you may want to consider m.benz over your choices.? i know i'll get killed if i say this over here :'( but i just don't want you to see your lawyer more than your car .
[snapback]40714[/snapback]
I looked at several different mercedes models. I don't like the way they handle. Too floaty, not enough control. The technology (in the E320) was outdated. They also did away with prepaid maintenance. The major downside for me was their crappy lumbar support, even with the upgraded seats. Plus, the passenger gets majorly shortchanged with features. I like the way they look, and I like the interior quality. I don't however think they represented great value--you got a lot more in the E60 for your money. I wasn't really that impressed.

I have other cars, this one was really just for fun. The only major qualification is that I really enjoy it. Practicality is not a major factor on a daily basis, but (very low on the priority list) I would like the option to be able to take a trip in it--holidays, etc... I drive so little (only about 3000 miles/year) I am mainly concerned about comfort, luxury, and looks, but I have to feel comfortable driving it, and most importantly, I have to be comfortable as a passenger. And for those of you who are confused from the other topic (where I said I have 8500 miles), my husband was primarily driving this car until recently, when he refused to drive it any more because he couldn't take the chance of being stranded somewhere. He drives a lot more miles than I do, and is going many more important places than I am!

I am well aware my 3 choices aren't alike... I did say none were competitors to the E60
While the Range Rover is an SUV, it drives like a luxury sedan, plus gives all the space, visibility, and safety of an SUV. It is EXTREMELY comfortable for me, and the interior is a work of art. That is why it is my #1 choice.
The Porsche is high on the fun factor, and the luxury was seriously increased with the 2005 model. However, it's not practical for trips (it doesn't fit much luggage!). It's also a little more than I want to spend, but obviously not that much of a stretch. This is the one my husband likes the most, though.
The Jaguar is a little too old for me, but I love the luxury of it, and I love the way it drives. It is practical for trips. My husband also really likes this one.

As I said before, the 2003+ Range Rover has very good reliability, and great dealer support.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Senior Members

based on what you said, i think the jaguar is the best for both of your husband and you. i like it a lot, too. but i think i'll wait another 15 or 20 years because of their mature looks...unless they will change their styles dramatically in the near future but still keeping their luxury feel (i know i'm hard to please).

one of the reasons why i don't like m.benz that much is too many people in here driving them. i mean maaaaaany (including my dad) ! i don't want to walk to another car in the mall parking every time .

i think the best solution is your case settled smoothly w/o giving you a bit headache and give the e60 another chance. but make sure you get it from another dealer this time .
Old 10-03-2004, 01:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I really like the range rover. I had a testdrive in it and it is very, very comfortable. Handeling however is sacrificed by the comfort of the air suspension. Entering the highway on a long turn the car was hanging over really bad (I thought we were gonna tip over). But it is a very nice car and the interior is superb! Downside is that it uses old BMW technology so you are not buying the newest from the newest.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Sep 30 2004, 11:28 PM
Whenever I pick up my car from service, I take my quick detailer spray and go over the entire car so I can inspect it while I shine it.? I also inspect the interior and wipe down the rims. I've picked up on a lot of problems caused by the service people doing this. I've learned the hard way.

Next time I won't sign my paperwork until I have test driven it, inspected it and checked it out.
[snapback]39998[/snapback]
it's nice being in company where my detailing habits aren't unusual...

jonboy
Old 10-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Oct 3 2004, 03:08 AM
Downside is that it uses old BMW technology so you are not buying the newest from the newest.
[snapback]40791[/snapback]

And I've had luck with the newest technology from BMW? I'd rather stick with what works at this point!!
Old 10-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Oct 3 2004, 12:10 PM
And I've had luck with the newest technology from BMW?? ? ? I'd rather stick with what works at this point!!
[snapback]40932[/snapback]
After your experience I couldn't agree more with you. But I didn't mean the I-Drive but also the engine technology. In your case a diesel engine isn't part of your choice but over here the diesels have really old bmw technology.

I hope you get the best out of your problems. You deserve a nice problemfree car!