Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

German Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004 | 08:36 AM
Members

I have just ordered an 04 545i BMW. After placing the order a friend of mine has suggested that I look into European Delivery. Can someone shed some light on how this program works, what costs are involved and what their experiences have been?

Thanks
Jon
Old 06-14-2004 | 08:46 AM
Members

Start here:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Joy/EuropeanDelivery/
Old 06-14-2004 | 09:00 AM
Members

Thanks for pointing this link out. A couple of questions:

1. I assume the prices listed under the cost savings are based on discounts the dealer actually receives?
2. Is it safe to assume (it is somewhat ambiguous in the on-line literature) that all prices include shipment back to the US (ie. I just need to drop if off at one of their centers and they will arrange transportation back the US.)
3. Assuming this is the case how long does it take to get back the US?
4. What have your experiences been with the program? Did you use their suggested tours or come up with your own?

Thanks so much!

Jon
Old 06-14-2004 | 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by jzerden' date='Jun 14 2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks for pointing this link out. A couple of questions:

1. I assume the prices listed under the cost savings are based on discounts the dealer actually receives?
2. Is it safe to assume (it is somewhat ambiguous in the on-line literature) that all prices include shipment back to the US (ie. I just need to drop if off at one of their centers and they will arrange transportation back the US.)
3. Assuming this is the case how long does it take to get back the US?
4. What have your experiences been with the program? Did you use their suggested tours or come up with your own?

Thanks so much!

Jon
Some asnwers to your questions:

1. The ED program basically cuts BMW of North America out of the profit picture. You are essentially ordering a US Spec car direct from BMWAG. The savings are partially realized from BMWAG not paying out "holdback" money to BMWNA

2. All shipment charges, customs, insurance (for one month), and registration (for one month) are included in the ED price. The insurance you get has ZERO deductible, meaning that all damage you sustain while driving over there, regardless of fault, is repaired at no charge.

3. BMW will tell you 6-8 weeks. Some get theirs back sooner, some later. It also depends heavily on East Coast vs. West Coast deliveries.

4. My experience was incredible. I will never purchase/lease a BMW any other way. The only real drawbacks are the redelivery time and the fact that you have to pay (or finance or lease) a minimum of 30 days prior to pickup in Munich.

For more ED information than you could possibly want to read, go here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Go here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39409, for a complete list of invoice pricing, including the ED invoice pricing. Most dealers will deal up from ED invoice since ED cars are allocated from a different "bucket" than their normal allocations.

I would whole-heartedly recommend going the ED route, since your custom-ordering your vehicle anyway.

-MrB
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:11 AM
Members

I went through European Delivery last month. The car should hit port on June 26 and I will take redelivery shortly thereafter.

Some obervations:

1. If financing, you may be forced to use BMW finance, since many lenders will not release payment unless they receive title, which does not come until re-delivery.
As noted by others, you must pay before the ED date, typically 30 days, although I did not pay for mine until 2 weeks before delivery.

2. A factory or aftermarket navigation system is a must if you are going to travel there, unless of course you are familiar with the area.

3. The Bimmerfest ED forum http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
is probably the best on-line source for ED info.

4. The car does not come out of dealer allocation so you should be able to negotiate based on ED invoice price, not from MSRP. You can use the Rizzo method to get quotes from dealers, then pick the one that works best for you. That means do you really want to travel 300 miles more to save $100?

5. Check with the shipping agent as to whether they will be open the day you want to drop off the car to be shipped to the USA. Europe has more holidays than here. Also, don't plan for weekend drop-off, since the offices are closed. Sometimes they will arrange to meet you on a weekend, but will charge $75+ for being there.

Overall, ED works well, BMW seems to address most typical details, and I would do it again.
Old 06-14-2004 | 02:21 PM
Senior Members

ED rocks.
the only thing is you cannot flat out your new car on the autobahn, once you leave the delivery center.
driving in europe, germany in particular is an experience every avid driver should experience.
there is a special noble feel when you first lay eyes on your new car in the delivery room with those engineers present. for this presence and how they feel about BMW is beyond any words could describe.
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:18 PM
Members

Even the Autobahn gas stations are cool. (note: 2 kids..maybe in their early 20s in the pic below filling up their (or Mom's) new E-Klasse wagon.....what a life.)
Attached Thumbnails German Delivery-545autobahn.jpg