Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

European Delivery Drop Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

I am starting to look at an ED on a new 550 again. Thinking of driving to Rome and flying home from there. According to the BMW ED website my car would be driven back to Munich. Do they mean somebody will drive my car or do they load it on an auto carrier for transport back to Munich? Anyone have any experience with this? Website reads:

Italy
Contact: Andreas Schoenberger Email: aschoenberger@ehharms.de
Vehicle drop-off at the cities listed below. Once you drop off your vehicle, it will be driven to Munich (Germany) for truck transfer to port of departure. Car registration and insurance must be valid for at least 5 days after date of drop-off in Italy. Arrangements must be made with Mr. Schoenberger at least one week prior to the intended date of drop-off.

An appointment is required.
Bologna - Florence - Genoa - Milano - Naples - Rome - Venice - Verona
Old 08-19-2007, 08:39 PM
DBU
Contributors

Originally Posted by MidnightRider' post='460330' date='Aug 19 2007, 08:34 PM
I am starting to look at an ED on a new 550 again. Thinking of driving to Rome and flying home from there. According to the BMW ED website my car would be driven back to Munich. Do they mean somebody will drive my car or do they load it on an auto carrier for transport back to Munich? Anyone have any experience with this? Website reads:
Italy
Vehicle drop-off at the cities listed below. Once you drop off your vehicle, it will be driven to Munich (Germany) for truck transfer to port of departure. Car registration and insurance must be valid for at least 5 days after date of drop-off in Italy. Arrangements must be made with Mr. Schoenberger at least one week prior to the intended date of drop-off.

Yes, some speed crazed student will drive your car back to Munich (I think). I would think twice about that, particularly if your car isn't fully broken in by the time you drop it off.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MidnightRider' post='460330' date='Aug 19 2007, 11:34 PM

Italy

Everyone at the Bimmerfest E.D. forum who has used the drop off service in Italy has raved about it, esp. the professionalism of the drivers and the convenience since they come to you at your hotel. It?s not for everyone but for those who did it swear by it.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Senior Members

I did that exact ED last year with a buddy and his 650Ci. A 30ish gentleman from Harmes in Munich took the train down to Rome, picked up my buddy's car at our hotel and drove it back to Munich. There were no issues and it was much easier and quicker than my own ED drop-offs in Vienna and Nice.

btw, I believe that just after I did the Rome ED last year, BMW initiated a surcharge for the Italy pick-ups.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

i did it from itaty as well, no problem. i remember the driver looked a bit like a surfer dude, but was very professional. i didn't care how fast he drove the car back to germany, it was fine when i picked it up again in the usa.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='460362' date='Aug 20 2007, 02:12 AM
btw, I believe that just after I did the Rome ED last year, BMW initiated a surcharge for the Italy pick-ups.
no, not yet although I believe this will happen sooner or later