Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Do you tip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1diver1' post='606564' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:44 AM
Thank you Mr. Pink! or Red or White or something..don't remember.
Mr. Pink.

I agree with everything Mr. Pink said, and I'll add something else: why should someone at a more expensive restaurant make more money for doing the same exact job? The waiter at Ruth's Chris does almost the exact same amount of work as the waiter at Texas Roadhouse, yet makes a lot more because the food is more expensive. Doesn't seem right.

* sigh * While I do agree with Mr. Pink, I still tip 20%. It's true that "it's just their job", but their base pay is still only around $2 an hour. Just because the establishment is screwing them doesn't mean it's OK for me to add insult to injury.

What I can't believe is people that think that tips should be more than 20%. That's just crazy.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='606596' date='Jun 20 2008, 09:36 AM
Just because the establishment is screwing them

I don't understand the "screwing" part. These folks were not forced to work at the establishment, except perhaps a family owned business.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Tip the guy...

I'm not the cash-carrying type so sometimes I don't have any cash on hand. But I always try to be mindful and have some with me if I know I'm going for a car service (outside of BMW), such as alignment. I have a 3-yr alignment plan which allows me to have it done anytime I want at no extra charge, but I always insist on tipping the guys if they deserved it.

Aside from that, 0-5% tip on bad service, 10-15% on Ok service, 20% on good service.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Contributors

Over the years I had done a lot of tire work with a local Sears Autostore ... the free re-balance/rotate and free repair was useful when I was driving some of my cars 50K miles/year.

And a few times they even repaired flats when I hadn't even bought the tires there!

The key, I think, was that 3-4 times a year I was in the neighborhood I would stop by a local bakery and and pick up a dozen donuts for the shop guys - even when I didn't want or need some work done.

That said, seems that I always went to the front of the line ... or got some other perk when I stopped in.

Some of us do work for food I will tip shop guys for going above and beyond! Also, for a job done really well ... a THANK-YOU Card will always be remembered.

MHO
Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='606510' date='Jun 20 2008, 03:17 AM
"C'mon, throw in a buck! You don't tip?

I don't believe in it. I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's f$cked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that BMW car washers are one of the many groups the government f$cks in the a$$ on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bull$hit I got two words for that: learn to F$ckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big f$ckin' surprise."

RD
Dave you are an Angry Elf.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='606623' date='Jun 20 2008, 10:24 AM
I don't understand the "screwing" part. These folks were not forced to work at the establishment, except perhaps a family owned business.
Ask your next waitress/waiter how the management treats them and how much of their tip is held back - then you'll understand it.

No, I'm not nor have ever been a waiter.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Are we talking about at restaurants or automotive service places? LOL. I truly got lost in the replies.

At a restaurant, if service is good, I give 20%. If its exceptional, I will give 30% because the reaction and response from the hard working people is always worth it - it makes me happy to see their joy at a surprisingly big tip. But, if its average or worse, I give 15%.

At my car dealership, I dont tip. BUT, last time my SA took VERY good care of me (see my post on the free replacement tires at 19k miles...), I went to Applebees and got a $50 gift card and gave it to him. I told him I wish I had time to take him to lunch, and told him to take the other 2 service advisors working that day. He was really awestruck. I also send emails to the service manager (with a copy to the owner) and a copy to my SA commending their work. I hope it helps their annual reviews.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='606560' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:38 AM
If service is excellent so is the tip.

If service is bad, there is no (zero) tip.

It is too bad the a zero tip is not a signal to many of those who provide poor service.
Even better for lousy service, leave 1 penny. That gets the point across. Otherwise, if you leave nothing, they might think you just forgot.
I tip 15% or a little over for good (expected) service at a restaurant, 10% if service is noticably less than acceptable.
I don't tip at the dealer but I will tip misc services.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='607008' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:45 PM
I went to Applebees and got a $50 gift card and gave it to him. I told him I wish I had time to take him to lunch, and told him to take the other 2 service advisors working that day. He was really awestruck. I also send emails to the service manager (with a copy to the owner) and a copy to my SA commending their work. I hope it helps their annual reviews.
That's great - good for you, and them. It's easy to get trapped in the "I paid a lot of money for this car, so you should bend over backwards for me" mindset, but a lot of people forget that the SA's are just working a job like the rest of us. Treating them the way you did will hopefully make up for the people that treat them like serfs.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

at the the dealer ? ............Never !

Quick Reply: Do you tip?