Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Do you tip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i - Black on Black, Maple Anthracite. Cold, Premium, Sport, Nav, Heads Up Display, Logic 7, Power Rear Sunshade.

I was coming home today and the flat tire warning came on. I was a mile from the dealership so I stopped in and they filled two of them up and reset it. While he was doing the work I pull my wallet out and I have one dollar, just enough to insult him. Is it customary to tip? I'm thinking I'll go back and thank him with a ten? Just want your opinion. It's a new BMW for me and I'll be taking it in for it's first oil change (since it's been with me) in a month.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Show him some love!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

"See what finsky can do to a guy's attitude?"
Old 06-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

"C'mon, throw in a buck! You don't tip?

I don't believe in it. I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's f$cked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that BMW car washers are one of the many groups the government f$cks in the a$$ on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bull$hit I got two words for that: learn to F$ckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big f$ckin' surprise."

Mr. Pink...Reservoir Dogs
Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='606510' date='Jun 20 2008, 04:17 AM

I don't believe in it. I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's f$cked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that BMW car washers are one of the many groups the government f$cks in the a$$ on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bull$hit I got two words for that: learn to F$ckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big f$ckin' surprise."

RD
No wonder u've got an M5 now...

From now on, i won't tip..

j/p.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

If service is excellent so is the tip.

If service is bad, there is no (zero) tip.

It is too bad the a zero tip is not a signal to many of those who provide poor service.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black on Black, Maple Anthracite. Cold, Premium, Sport, Nav, Heads Up Display, Logic 7, Power Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='606510' date='Jun 20 2008, 03:17 AM

RD
Thank you Mr. Pink! or Red or White or something..don't remember.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

if they deserve it and put forth effort.. i tip.. specially if i know im going back.. dr lev.. ur funny..
Old 06-20-2008, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='606510' date='Jun 20 2008, 04:17 AM
.... All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

Finally! A kindrid spirit! That's my attitude toward it, too. To the OP, do whatever makes you feel good inside about the situation. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Similar thing happend to me a month ago. I stopped at a gas station to get some air and the machine was not working. The mechainc there was working on a car in the garage and came out to see if he could help me. He used the compressor from the garage, his air filler adapter and his air pressure gauge. On top of that, he filled the tire himself even though I offered as he was busy. I was floored. I gave him 10 bucks. He refused at first stating it was his job. He went above and beyond, so I insisted he take the money. Needless to say he was very happy. I was also happy, as it restored my faith in society and mankind. Even if for just that one day.

Quick Reply: Do you tip?