Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer Refuses to Update Software

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by markiemark' date='Jun 1 2005, 07:51 PM
UPDATE:
The service manager called. He said that there is a new update that is supposed to correct some radio problems I complained about, so they are doing the update right now, and unless the update aborts, I will have the car back tonight.
Here is the wierd part.
He said I already have 16.2, and the update they are installing is 17.
But, if I already have 16.2:
I don't have perspective view in my Nav and
I don't have MP3 playback capability in the in dash CD.
Any thoughts?
[snapback]135143[/snapback]
If you don't have perspective and mp3 ( Bus Nav ) - you should not have 16.2.
In any case who cares - with 17 you will, and hopefully solved most other problems. Good luck
Old 06-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

They replace my windshield because there was a 6 inch crack and there were no visible sign of a pebble or any projectile mark. It just cracked on its own. If it was caused by a pebble or other fast moving object, you might be out of luck.

Which Glen did you talk to? there are two there. I gave one of the Glen's nothing but high marks. He's been great.

Teriyaki
Old 06-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i Silver Gray Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Nav

Glen Prido (sp?) is the guy I'm dealing with at BMW of SD, seems like a stand up guy, he just called, the system says there are still 3 hours left on the programming, so I will get my car back tomorrow sometime. I'll update everyone after that, I'm crossing my fingers everything will be working fine and I'll get mp3 too boot. I don't know what radio I have, I have the one that has "all stations" in the FM section, plus manual mode and presets.
My window did have an impact point he called it, even if it was ever so minuscule. I have never had a windshield crack so easily, but, hey, I haven't had a BMW since the early 90's. I did find a good deal on glass at 89glass.com. With the rain sensor, labor, and the glass, it was $325. The installer (Triumph) handed me their bill to 89glass and it was $240. I didn't realize there was such a big markup but I wasn't complaining. Just the glass and sensor were over $400 from crevier, plus 2.5-3.5 hours to install they said. The guy that put mine in was pretty good, and he was a fellow BMW owner (as was everyone in his family; he actually had pictures with him of all the BMW's in his extended family) so I was happy it wasn't some goober that didn't appreciate what he was dealing with.

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Jun 1 2005, 03:36 PM
They replace my windshield because there was a 6 inch crack and there were no visible sign of a pebble or any projectile mark. It just cracked on its own.? If it was caused by a pebble or other fast moving object, you might be out of luck.

Which Glen did you talk to? there are two there. I gave one of the Glen's nothing but high marks.? He's been great.

Teriyaki
[snapback]135276[/snapback]
Old 06-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

:'( My UK dealer seems to update the software whatever the question - without them making any attempt to find out whether the software contains a fix for the specific issue.

Software updates also seem to take around 5 hours, so results in another night off the road! Not sure what software transfer mechanism is used but this is ludicrous - I suspect the entire global BMW datacentre data could be transferred in less time than this
Old 06-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Members

5 hours, I wish!
Took my car in Tuesday, and today (Thursday) its still not done! They tell me sometimes the whole update process aborts, and then sometimes just one module will "reject" the update, so they start over.
I called the cashier earlier and they said my car was ready, so I drove over but they coulnd't find the paperwork even though the computer said it was finished; anyway, the Service Manager tracked it down, it was still in the bay because one module rejected the update. He showed me my car and another one in the corner hooked up to a batter charger (the leads were hooked up under the hood where the manual says not to do a jump i believe), a computer was nearby with a bmw logo on the screen and a sticker on it that said 16.2; something on the screen mentioned putting a cd in the drive; the trunk was open and the right wheel well was taken apart revealing the battery and maybe something else; on the driver's seat was about a 6" x 12" device that looked like big PDA with a rubberized frame around it; it was hooked up somewhere under the dash by the pedals from what i could tell; there was something on the Nav screen but i couldn't make it out too well; then the repair/mechanic manager came over and said mine wasn't hooked up to the computer i saw, it was hooked up to another one on the other side of the wall that "was the latest and greatest version" with all the super new updates, which i guess is CIP 17.
I have my fingers crossed that I'll get it back tomorrow. No wonder they kick and scream about doing these updates, it doesn't seem to be that easy; my car has a manufacture date in Dec. '04, maybe only some versions have problems.

Originally Posted by new-kid' date='Jun 2 2005, 02:15 PM
:'( My UK dealer seems to update the software whatever the question - without them making any attempt to find out whether the software contains a fix for the specific issue.

Software updates also seem to take around 5 hours, so results in another night off the road!? Not sure what software transfer mechanism is used but this is ludicrous - I suspect the entire global BMW datacentre data could be transferred in less time than this
[snapback]135561[/snapback]
Old 06-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Members

Update:
version 17 installed; Nav has perspective; no MP3, which is normal for US cars with Nav I guess; tranny seems to be better; not sure the about the deodorizer as a fix for the stinky ventilation system; I drive hasn't blanked out yet;
Now I'm hoping something goes wrong around the time the MP3 update is available so they will install the update; you would think they would want you to have the best and also as a precaution against failure or serious mechanical issues; maybe someday it won't take 3 days to do the update; of course, next time I'll probably try another dealer too.
END
Old 06-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by markiemark' date='Jun 4 2005, 06:31 PM
no MP3, which is normal for US cars with Nav I guess
[snapback]136152[/snapback]
You guessed right.

Originally Posted by markiemark' date='Jun 4 2005, 06:31 PM
maybe someday it won't take 3 days to do the update;
[snapback]136152[/snapback]
It shouldn't take that long. It can be done in half a day.