Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer Refuses to Update Software

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

You got a bad dealer or perhaps a lazy one. i Just had both of my car update 2 weeks ago and i'm going back tomorrow with the 545 because my iDrive started freezing and looping between the black screen and BMW logo screen again. last time they gave me a loaner for 4 days and tomorrow they gonna give another loaner for 3 more days.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

You should not go to the dealer and ask them to update your software as the request itself. It is best to simply tell them the end problem; 'the idrive screen goes black often without my doing anything to it'.

This is the way most dealers work, to be given the end problem so they can 'decide' how to fix it.

It's like many doctors, they don't want to be told what they should do, but they just want to know what your symptom is so they can decide the remedy.

you might try it that way.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Jun 1 2005, 04:35 AM
You should not go to the dealer and ask them to update your software as the request itself. It is best to simply tell them the end problem; 'the idrive screen goes black often without my doing anything to it'.

This is the way most dealers work, to be given the end problem so they can 'decide' how to fix it.

It's like many doctors, they don't want to be told what they should do, but they just want to know what your symptom is so they can decide the remedy.

you might try it that way.
[snapback]135031[/snapback]
Yep, agree. Just tell them the problem/symptoms. Let them do the diagnosis. Insisting on some specific fix is generally not a good approach. However, I do render opinions and mention my source of info - E60.NET - when asked and I do get asked as I sometimes drop hints that I heard of this or that. I have shown service folks print outs of topics from threads here and they have seemed genuinely impressed at the amount of info we posess here on the forum. Just don't beat them over the head with it.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:08 AM
Members

Can't you just tell them you were told "MP3 decoder" by the brochure?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by bdav' date='Jun 1 2005, 05:08 AM
Can't you just tell them you were told "MP3 decoder" by the brochure?
[snapback]135037[/snapback]
Don't get me started on lawyers There are enough legal disclaimers in the BMW brochures to cover every possible contigency.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:31 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

I'm interested on this - the dealers do NOT tell you so many things. I didn't know about the Perspective View in the NAV system.

I am in Germany and will be ordering a 550i when they come out in September, and I need some additional knowledge of what's available - especially this business with the different software versions - which is mind bogling. Like one of you said, some dealerships now will just update the software as a fix for all ailments. I almost don't want to spend upwards of 65K for a computer on wheels that needs upgrades every two months like our home PCs. It reminds me of the joke that if Microsoft built cars, they would crash twice a day and you'd have to close all the windows and press ctl-alt-del and restart to get it to go again.

Also, I'm assuming if I buy the car here, by the time I return to the states, dealerships will not give me a loaner if I need one (even within warranty).

Has anyone out there bought a car somewhere and then moved and needed service? How were you treated by the "non-selling dealer". If they are like the one that refused to update the software for a car bought at that dealership, I'm not having good hopes of getting good service from a different dealer than the one I bought from.

Thanks!

Santiago.

Originally Posted by 555' date='Jun 1 2005, 06:06 AM
You have one CRAPPY dealer there.? Name names.? Which one is it?

Mine WANTS TO update the software as a solution to most issues I report.? Mine thinks software upgrades are the cure to almost anything.?

Do you have Nav?? You should update your signature with your specs.? One thing (if you have Nav) is to say you were promised "perspective view" in Nav.? You need 16.2+ for that.

-Jonathan

[quote name='kmslo530i' date='May 31 2005, 09:41 PM'][quote name='markiemark' date='May 31 2005, 07:39 PM']Ok, talked to BMWUSA, they were actually kind of lame, but they did say that I should take it to another dealer, but call the service manager first at the original place. I did...he sounded sympathetic, and promised to look into it tomorrow. He said if i just bought the car, its probably up to date. I said i was made in Dec '04, and that there have been a few updates to the software since then. He responded by saying he couldn't tell which version i have right now, but if there's an update that may fix the reported problems he'll let me know. I'll update everyone tomorrow. After reading all the posts here, I thought sure this would be a no questions asked update, but even with real problems I'm finding its not necessariy so.

[quote name='Alex.br' date='May 31 2005, 04:57 PM']You should call your lawer! :bashwall:
[snapback]134949[/snapback]
[snapback]134968[/snapback]
[/quote]
Unfortunately, this is a dealer issue, and you found a bonehead dealer/service department. My dealer, and service department have always been willing to do whatever, and I have never paid, nor been asked to pay a dime for updates. I agree with the above posts, and BMWNA, if possible, go find another dealer that is interested in servicing your vechicle...good luck!
[snapback]134977[/snapback]
[/quote]
[snapback]134985[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 06-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Actually, I think we are observing the initial "growth curve" of the "smart car." Never in the past have automobiles been so individually programmable as the e60. And as its owners, we are probably on the steep part of the learning curve for the manufacturer.

I really do not expect my vehicle to be especially "reliable" (electronically, at least; mechanical reliability is still a strong suit of BMW). But dealing with the software issues is likely to be a somewhat frustrating experience.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by markiemark' date='May 31 2005, 04:39 PM
Ok, I'm in San Diego, took my one month only '05 525i in today to BMW of SD, I actually was having problems with the I-drive blanking out and my transmission acting oddly, plus the venilation problem, anyway, they said they can't find anything wrong with it; I told them to update the software, they said that it takes 2 days to do a software update and they can do it by they will charge me. I am really pissed about this.
Any suggestions, besides count to 10 and take a deep breath? <_<
[snapback]134944[/snapback]
If you go and ask for a software upgrade then they will likely charge you. If you tell them there's a problem with your car and they will look into it. I've had my car in for various ailments from funky transmission to irregular noise from the underside to dynamic drive failures and other issues. I've only taken to BMW of SD and they have taken care of everything. They've been very professional and even replaced my windshield under the PUMA case. I'd recommend this dealer to everyone. I'm bummed that I had to keep taking my car in but they've been very good when my car is there.

Teriyaki
Old 06-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i Silver Gray Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Nav

Well, I sure wish I had talked to you first! I just replaced a windshield last week that BMW of SD refused to replace. I obviously got hit by a microscopic pebble, but they wouldn't budge. (So what is the PUMA case?) Then I bring it in for the I-drive blanking out and transmission shifting oddly and the vent smell, and they refuse again (actually, they said they put a deodorizer in the vent systerm, can't believe they call that a fix). Maybe us 525 guys get no respect or they just don't like me for some reason. I'm still waiting to hear from Glen the service manager. By the way, I did not bring it in for a software update. I first noticed the problems within days of buying the car, and the service department said to bring it in, they'd look at it and they had a software update that would probably fix everything. That's why its bewildering that they kept the car for a day and said "no".
If the sevice manager doesn't give me relief, I'll kick and scream and then try the guy at Brecht mentioned above and Cunningham. I just don't understand their reluctance, do they not get paid for this or something?

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Jun 1 2005, 09:11 AM
[quote name='markiemark' date='May 31 2005, 04:39 PM']Ok, I'm in San Diego, took my one month only '05 525i in today to BMW of SD, I actually was having problems with the I-drive blanking out and my transmission acting oddly, plus the venilation problem, anyway, they said they can't find anything wrong with it; I told them to update the software, they said that it takes 2 days to do a software update and they can do it by they will charge me. I am really pissed about this.
Any suggestions, besides count to 10 and take a deep breath? <_<
[snapback]134944[/snapback]
If you go and ask for a software upgrade then they will likely charge you. If you tell them there's a problem with your car and they will look into it. I've had my car in for various ailments from funky transmission to irregular noise from the underside to dynamic drive failures and other issues. I've only taken to BMW of SD and they have taken care of everything. They've been very professional and even replaced my windshield under the PUMA case. I'd recommend this dealer to everyone. I'm bummed that I had to keep taking my car in but they've been very good when my car is there.

Teriyaki
[snapback]135107[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 06-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i Silver Gray Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Nav

UPDATE:
The service manager called. He said that there is a new update that is supposed to correct some radio problems I complained about, so they are doing the update right now, and unless the update aborts, I will have the car back tonight.
Here is the wierd part.
He said I already have 16.2, and the update they are installing is 17.
But, if I already have 16.2:
I don't have perspective view in my Nav and
I don't have MP3 playback capability in the in dash CD.
Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Dealer Refuses to Update Software