Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Dealer changing Dunlop tires for Bridgestones

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 06:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

My dealer just called me. They are going to give me new tires under my car!!!!

Finally I can smile again. The shuddering will be gone hopefully. Only question I have is that they want to put Bridgestone tires instead of dunlop tires under the car.

Are there disadvantages for the bridgestones????
Old 09-15-2004, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

...I assume your dealer is calling you because they've tried the bridgestones and this resolves the problem???? I hope they are not just replacing the tires, giving you the car back and saying "there you go, try that".

hope things are GOOD when the car comes back.......no chance of them swapping the alloys then?

did you and the BMW Netherlands Tech guy go out in the car together? did he experience the issue?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:55 AM
JDN
Contributors

My 6000 mi. experience with Dunlop run flats has been so good that I would not want anything else.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Dunlops are great.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Dunlops and so far so good.
Prefer Michelins though but their Runflats are a different type and can't be used on our E60s though.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

to echo the other comments...I too have the dunlops on 6000 miles and they are fine. Some tires do take time to bed in and as I didn't own my car for the first 4000 miles (dealer demo) I cannot say if there was any "shudder" during the tires early life.

guess we will just have to wait for you to update the forum and see if the problem is fixed.....did the dealer even mention the possiblity of new alloys? or even try your car on a different set and let you drive it? I know I've mentioned that before but just curious if you've actually had them do it/tried it.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

northernmonkey,

Out of curiosity about how much did you pay for your 530 with 4000 miles on the clock with the options you've got?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

?29K, bought 3 months ago, my car also has the folding mirrors, sliding arm rest thing and the service inclusive pack. out of curiousity i did price the car new on bmw.co.uk, with same options worked out at ?40.5K, so was happy with my deal for a 6 month old car with 4K on it at that time.

my haggling powers were possibly aided by the fact that we were also buying the same dealers demo Z4 at that time
Old 09-15-2004, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

I would insist that the dealer give you the OEM tires - I believe those are the Dunlop runflats. There is nothing wrong with the OEM tires, just possibly the set that you have. Why would the dealer change the brand of tires you have?? I would also insist that the service manager accompany you on a test drive before you accept the car. I would also write a well thought out letter to BMW outlining your service experience. I've done this in the past, and if you don't come off as a raving lunatic, BMW will contact your dealer, and your service should improve dramatically.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Sep 15 2004, 08:44 AM
...I assume your dealer is calling you because they've tried the bridgestones and this resolves the problem???? I hope they are not just replacing the tires, giving you the car back and saying "there you go, try that".

hope things are GOOD when the car comes back.......no chance of them swapping the alloys then?

did you and the BMW Netherlands Tech guy go out in the car together? did he experience the issue?
To be honest they haven't tried it yet and they are replacements without testing. They will not swap the alloys because according to the tech the problem isn't in the alloys.

To be honest I am so fed up with this stuff that I have decided not to spend anymore time in talking to my dealer to get things done. I have told them I will drive my loaner 316 touring for as long as it will take them to order my new tires and fit them.

I hope the car doesn't shudder anymore and if it does it is lawsuit time.

Quick Reply: Dealer changing Dunlop tires for Bridgestones