Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Current E39 thinking about E60

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by jd604' date='Mar 31 2005, 02:15 PM
Greetings and salutations fellow bimmer enthusiasts?

I currently own a 2001 E39 540i (M62) Sport in stahl blau with all options but the fold-down rear seats and car phone hookup -- details are in my sig!

I love my baby. Vanessa has been with me through Boston winters, Manhattan traffic, New Jersey vandalism (keyed 2 times in 3 trips through the Garden State!) and most recently she has accompanied me after a cross-country stint on a train to beautiful Vancouver, B.C.

But I have been experiencing severe 7-year itch (yes, I am aware that it has only been 4) syndrome. I am ready to move on and trade my darling in for a new love.

Naturlich the E60 is on my current shopping list and what better place to glean insights and knowledge than a site dedicated to this model, am I right??

My first question for you obviously intelligent gentlemen/ladies of distinguished taste (ok enough brown-nosing... for now) would be:

* What other vehicles did you consider while shopping for the E60? *

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback during this arduous -- yet amorous -- process of new car shopping!
[snapback]109372[/snapback]
Welcome to the forum.

Get the E60 and don't consider anything else - there's noting like it
Old 03-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Members

Hi

I am a real BMW fan and have owned 7 so far, before the E60 i strayed to a nice shiny new Jaguar Xj8, (obviously got caught by a good salesman on a bad day..) .. which was a piece of cr4p which i will eternally regret losing the thick end of 30k gbp over 3 years on depreciation ..

So when i changes i considered -
E320 Merc - too sombre..

Another Jag - rubbish / once bitten twice shy.. wild horses and all that.. but thiose supercharged s types are good fun !

An Alfa romeo Coupe 3.2gta (nice.. real nice but put off by italian electrics / front wheel drive / unreliable)

An x5... not an SUV fan..

No audis - a lot of money for a trumped up jumped up Vw... (only joking.. the new rs6 was an animal)

I am very pleased with e60, generally, it is just a bit niggly like most Bm's but have recommended friends to try them out instead of the Mercs / Audi's / Jag's they usually buy. So far no converts but one soon as he is due a change in 6mths and i know he is the 535d !

I say "Do it.. do it.. you know it makes sense.!." A nice 545 / 550i sport with 128's and plenty "o" toys.... hmm

Good luck.. post your choice (unles it's an Audi.. in whcih case don't !)

David
Old 03-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Take-Heed' date='Mar 31 2005, 02:35 PM
I too have ordered a 545i and will pick it up at the end of my current e39 lease in May.? I have had two e39's which I have enjoyed every minute of.

I did my due diligence when I had to decide which car to replace my 2002 540i with at the end of the lease.? I test drove the new A6, the Acura RL and Jaguar S-Type and looked at the Infiniti M45.? I did not feel these cars came very close to the type of driving I was used to with my 540i's.? The Acura and A6 had very nice interiors and creature comforts but the driving experience was lacking.? I could not test drive the M45 but the lease rates for it precluded my considering it.

Test driving the 545i convinced me.? It is different froim driving the 540i but it still has that smile-inducing feeling that I get every time I drive my current 540i.? Another major consideration was the 545i was the only one available with a manual.

The final clincher was the monthly payments.? With the current lease deals there was no way the others could come close.? Even if you are not interested in leasing, the fact that these cars seem to hold their value must be a consideration.
[snapback]109482[/snapback]
Hi HTH!

I had considered the value-holding proposition as part of my decision process - until the dealer informed me of the trade-in value for my current E39. It is disappointingly low and definitely less than I had anticipated when I first purchased the car. How does the figure compare with a competitive model of the same vintage? I cannot be sure because I have yet to do that research but basically the depreciation hit (averaged out as a cost per year) is most definitely worse than what my dealer had told me at the time of original sale (big surprise, huh?)
Nice selection of test-drive candidates... I had not even considered the Jaguar until you mentioned it; I will have to give it a perusal now just in case though traditionally I have not been attracted to that brand. Is the Infiniti M45 worth a try?
I definitely agree with you on the A6 interior... the fit, finish, and use of different textures are bar-none good.
As you can tell by my current vehicle choice, the 'driving feel' is a very important factor in the decision process and your remarks seem to sum up the attitude of most bimmer (or ex-bimmer) drivers when confronted with driving a non-BMW vehicle... the other cars always seem deficient in passion! I just hope the more 'advanced' 545 has not dampened the mood...
Old 03-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

jd604,

If you decide to compare the E60 to another car, be sure to investigate whether or not the other car has such an awesome forum as this one!
Old 03-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 31 2005, 04:57 PM
jd604,

If you decide to compare the E60 to another car, be sure to investigate whether or not the other car has such an awesome forum as this one!
[snapback]109576[/snapback]
Truly it enhances the ownership experience.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Contributors

I come from E39 too. Not to offend your vanessa. But i think you will forget her right after you go for your test driver in your new e60.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Welcome to the show. You will love it here. Great feedback, and every question you will ever have about the E60 will be answered, and quickly.

The only other ride I considered was the M3, but my wife nixed that. It only seats 4. So I compromised on the 5, but only a V8. Can't believe she fell for that one. Anyway, I drove others like the M45, but there is just no comparison. Go drive a 545, unbelievable.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Mar 31 2005, 09:57 PM
Welcome to the show.? You will love it here.? Great feedback, and every question you will ever have about the E60 will be answered, and quickly.

The only other ride I considered was the M3, but my wife nixed that.? It only seats 4.? So I compromised on the 5, but only a V8.? Can't believe she fell for that one.? Anyway, I drove others like the M45, but there is just no comparison.? Go drive a 545, unbelievable.
[snapback]109657[/snapback]
Wise words, Sir
Old 04-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jd604' date='Mar 31 2005, 06:39 PM
Hi rfg17!

First off, thanks for the itemized feedback from your personal experiences... I couldn't ask for a better direct comparison!
Having gone through your list of caveats, you have pretty much nailed the exact concerns I am having at moving from the E39 up. After trying the 6, I realized that the jump from the E39 to this next generation is HUGE. It's not a refinement or an evolution at all... it seems to be a very very different (for better or worse) execution in the same BMW spirit.
Your welcome. Glad I could help. I agree with your characterization of the new generation. It's very familiar and in the spirit of BMW but very different.

Originally Posted by jd604' date='Mar 31 2005, 06:39 PM
I was always afraid that it would handle more Benz-like because of its greater focus on luxury and cabin room.
It's not exactly Benz-like-- still feels like a BMW-- the drive is actually very good and will be familiar to you from your E39. But it is different. More "refined" and less road feel is the best way I can put it.

I think an iDrive-less E90 M next year might be just the ticket!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jd604' date='Mar 31 2005, 07:08 PM
Is the Infiniti M45 worth a try?

I think you should look at the M45 just to eliminate it. I did not have a chance to test drive it before I had to order my 545i. Some reports have it close to the BMW in driving feel, whereas others say it doesn't compare at all. It is less expensive.

On the value side, I admit that I am looking at it as someone who leases his vehicles. The current deals with the high residuals made it more economical to take the BMW over any of its competitors.

Quick Reply: Current E39 thinking about E60